Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Surplus Rifles?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Surplus Rifles?

I was looking at an SKS from samcoglobal.com and was wondering if there was much of a difference from and very good condition rifle, to a "special selection" rifle to an excellent condition rifle, is it worth the extra money, or should I just get a "very good" condition rifle?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Surplus Rifles?

If you don't want a show piece and plan on doing mods to it just get one that works. I bought a yugo from cabellas for 129.00 when they had a run on them. It was soaked in cosmo the stock was not the greatest and the metal was worn. I then went to eagle arms and picked one up that had no cosmo on it in mint condition for 249.00 . When i went to the range to shoot them for the first time i was suprised to find out that the beat up looking one actually held better groups than the nice one. I hope this helps a little, in your quest for a sks. Personally I would try to find one of the norinco's that accepts the ak mags. Also the yugos do not have chrome lined barrels.

Default Re: Surplus Rifles?

Provantage makes a good point.

Do you want a beater rifle that you can take to the range and abuse and not feel bad that you are a hurting a "special collection" rifle?

Or are you looking for something to hang on your wall and keep for years and years and sell it for more money when they become more rare?

The SKS I have is beaten to hell and back, but it shoots really well. I haven't cleaned it since I realized that it runs better when it's dirty.

-Burnsie