Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Older Eyes, Looking for solutions

So here is the deal, I am now 46 years old and shoot quite often. Almost every weekend. When I turned 42 I started to realize that if wanted to be able to read I would need reading glasses. My eyes are very good at long distances but can't see real well up close. I just use cheap reading glasses and Im good except when shooting. Pistol sights are a little blurry now and target clear, If I put the reading glasses on pistol sights are crisp and clear and target blurry. Scoped firearms are not a problem, neither are red dots, What do you guys with similar eyesight do?

Default Re: Older Eyes, Looking for solutions

Actually, the front sight is supposed to be sharp and the target blurry regardless of your eyesight. Wait until you get into your 50s! I have been wearing bifocals for about 12 years now, and usually do just fine with the front sight being sharp and the target blurry. Then again, the only "precision" shooting I do is with a rifle. Pistols are for bad guys, tin cans, and COM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Sounds like the reading glasses are doing the job for you.

(Northampton County)

He's right the reading glasses with a slightly weaker strength than you would use to read. I have bifocal glasses and don't like having to tilt my head back to get things in focus. You can get reverse reading glasses with the magnifier on the top. These are often used for close-up work by mechanics while under a car etc., but will work for shooting.
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

(Bucks County)

You need longer arms!

I'm in the same boat (47) and can just barely keep the front site in focus. I tend to try to not use reading glasses to practice, since if I ever need to use a handgun defensively it is unlikely I will have them on.

(Schuylkill County)

And it just keeps getting worse,I even thought about LASIK but I dont know.

(Bucks County)

Well you can get your eyes examined and ask the doctor you want a mid-range add power for shooting (typically half of your actual reading power). Measure the distance to your front sight . The doctor will the figure out what power you will need.
    So it sounds like the best thing to do is get a dedicated pair of shooting glasses with your mid-ranger power in the bifocal and Plano in the distance portion of the glasses(it sounds like you have great distance vision).

Have the doctor or optician measure the bifocal higher like where a trifocals would be measured(then you won't have to tilt your head up when shooting)and very important is to get a safe lenses with highest impact resistance I recommend Trivex(other names for it are trilogy or Phoenix )clear and very strong and tell them you want it to be 3.0 industrial thickness !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by slvjp View Post
    Well you can get your eyes examined and ask the doctor you want a mid-range add power for shooting (typically half of your actual reading power). Measure the distance to your front sight . The doctor will the figure out what power you will need.
    So it sounds like the best thing to do is get a dedicated pair of shooting glasses with your mid-ranger power in the bifocal and Plano in the distance portion of the glasses(it sounds like you have great distance vision).

Have the doctor or optician measure the bifocal higher like where a trifocals would be measured(then you won't have to tilt your head up when shooting)and very important is to get a safe lenses with highest impact resistance I recommend Trivex(other names for it are trilogy or Phoenix )clear and very strong and tell them you want it to be 3.0 industrial thickness !
    This is good advice. Tom Gresham did a radio show addressing this problem that most of us are facing as we age. If I can find it I will post a link to the podcast. I remember he told his eye doctor (who was also a shooter) the dilema and they worked a fix around it...........sucks getting old
    Life Member NRA, SAF Member

(Warren County)

I'm the same age as you and I'm starting to have issues with distance vision. I'm near sighted and have worn glasses/contacts since I was 13. Have an eye dr appointment this Thursday. I can see the sights fine, anything past the 7 yd line gets fuzzy and my groups open up.. I'm thinking my issue is bifocal related, but will update this post after my appointment.

Bottom line is we are all getting older. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    So here is the deal, I am now 46 years old and shoot quite often. Almost every weekend. When I turned 42 I started to realize that if wanted to be able to read I would need reading glasses. My eyes are very good at long distances but can't see real well up close. I just use cheap reading glasses and Im good except when shooting. Pistol sights are a little blurry now and target clear, If I put the reading glasses on pistol sights are crisp and clear and target blurry. Scoped firearms are not a problem, neither are red dots, What do you guys with similar eyesight do?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    I'm the same age as you and I'm starting to have issues with distance vision. I'm near sighted and have worn glasses/contacts since I was 13. Have an eye dr appointment this Thursday. I can see the sights fine, anything past the 7 yd line gets fuzzy and my groups open up.. I'm thinking my issue is bifocal related, but will update this post after my appointment.

Bottom line is we are all getting older. Lol
    Yes, a bifocal will help. But in your case you will need a distance correction and your bifocal (add power) will be Plano or close to it . Just remember what I said about measurements and the lenses. 3.0 industrial thickness and Trivex. . We have to protect those eyes !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast