Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Pittsburgh is Not the O.K. Corral

From the Pittburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08173/891632-52.stm

"The O.K. Corral is not in the city of Pittsburgh," Chief Harper said at a news conference yesterday. "This is unacceptable behavior."

I wonder how he feels about OC?

Default Re: Pittsburgh is Not the O.K. Corral

Quote Originally Posted by FHL85 View Post

"The O.K. Corral is not in the city of Pittsburgh," Chief Harper said at a news conference yesterday. "This is unacceptable behavior."

As someone who had a lot of family in Pittsburgh, seeing what happened to the North Side is comparable to whats going on in south, southwest, and northeast Phila. today. A slow cancerous growth.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FHL85 View Post

I'm not following your question about OC? The OK Corral situation was about fighting the disorderly theifs. In the article, there is no attack on gun rights that I read. They seem to be doing the right thing by increasing patrols and calling on black leaders to assist in getting it under control.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    I'm not following your question about OC? The OK Corral situation was about fighting the disorderly theifs. In the article, there is no attack on gun rights that I read. They seem to be doing the right thing by increasing patrols and calling on black leaders to assist in getting it under control.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.
    Pector55, everytime I see your avatar I think the baby is going to blow chunks! (Is his monniker exPECTOR8?)

I thought the OK Corral incident was about carry rights and gun control for a City located in a Territory that was looking for statehood. And the control or establishment of law and order including courts etc. (or at least judges) was the first requirement for statehood.

From wikki:
    [edit] Lead-up to the event

[edit] Relevant law in Tombstone
    Ordinances Relevant in the Preliminary Hearing in the Earp-Holliday Case, Heard before Judge Wells Spicer.

November 1881

Ordinance No. 9:
    "To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons" (effective April 19, 1881).

Section 1. "It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.

Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.

Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance."

Ordinance No. 7, Section 1:
    "Any establishment, house of prostitution or other place open to the public and it shall be the duty of any officer to enter such place and at once arrest such persons as he may then find engaged in or causing such breach of the peace." (effective April 12, 1881).
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

That was one of the things that lead up to the OK Corral but I don't see how that relates to the story. Just curious.

(Allegheny County)

It looks like the "negotiations" they(police)took part in with the local gangs(I'm not making this up)is working out very well, indeed.

Yes, several months ago, the Pittsburgh police sat down and "negotiated" with the gangs. It was on the news... the gangs agreed to "reduce" the amount of violence.
    Again, I'm not making this shit up.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I just thought it was funny that the Chief remarked on the O.K. Corral and as we have seen many LEO's question OC by asking "do you think this is the Old West (or OKC).

I have also noticed many articles in the news about increased gun violence in large cities (Chicago, D.C, Philly and now P-burgh) and I have not noticed any public figure come out and say folks may want to consider being armed.
    The usual response is we need to get guns off the street. I am all for getting criminals off the street, and additional police patrols may help in that regard. I do not have any evidence that the Chief is anti-gun.

There was a funny article in the Harrisburg paper about some attacks in the Midtown area. A photo that accompanied the article showed "A neighborhood watch group hands out literature and whistles to residents in the 1500 block of Green street, Harrisburg." (See http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...for_midto.html) As a former resident of the Midtown area I do not think a whistle would help. I am all for people keeping an eye on their surroundings and watching for trouble, but most people cannot defend themselves against several young attackers with a whistle. Just my .02 cents.

(Allegheny County)

Good link....
    That was a really interesting news piece. I am glad you posted it. Often it seems like when there is a larger than normal amount of violence the spokes people for the police/mayors offices talk big. I read the OK Corral comment as being a lead up argument of why pittsburgh needs to crack down on firearms (read: attack the basic second amendment rights of law abiding citizens inside of the city limits in order to look like they are doing something about the crime problem....). People out in the burgh should be wary of what the Police chief and Ravenstal have to say about firearms. Even in a indirect way.
    As for the OC thing....Doubt that man would be real excited about it....
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Allegheny County)

ugh, this is pretty accurate to the events of the O.K. Corral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfigh...he_O.K._Corral

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    That was one of the things that lead up to the OK Corral but I don't see how that relates to the story. Just curious.
    What some others have since posted suffices. Also, the OK Corral had a purpose or reason, though many faceted. It does not even remotely resemble gunfire in the middle of public streets for no apparent reason whatsoever. No self defense or defense of rights etc. can be claimed from the info given in the article only conjecture that it was a revenge shooting or retaliation for a prior fight/shooting.

The OK Corral seemed to boil down to "Remove your firearms"; notwithstanding any 'bad blood' prior.

I don't think the police should reference the Wild West or the OK Corral everytime some criminals get into a war because there is really no 'corral'ation.

Sorry, could not resist that.

It just brings up false conclusions about current situations and even historical perspectives.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast