Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AMTRAK

Default AMTRAK

from drudgereport.com

AMTRAK passengers will have to submit to random screening of carry-on bags in a major new security push that will also include officers with automatic weapons and bomb-sniffing dogs patrolling platforms and trains, the railroad is set to announce Tuesday. The initiative represents a significant shift for AMTRAK, which, unlike the airlines, saw relatively little increase in security after the 2001 terrorist attacks... Developing...

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...76142&ssid=642

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AMTRAK

Weak, I travel Amtrak fairly often. Looks like I won't be now.

It's creeping up on us...

This is only desensitization.

Moved my post to this thread.

Here you have it; http://www.kyw1060.com/Amtrak-to-Bol...curity/1679565

"Amtrak is announcing stepped-up security measures on the Northeast Corridor beginning this week. Some passengers will be selected for random screening of their carry-on bags

Amtrak officials say it won’t be much different than what airline passengers face, but it should go a lot faster. Mobile armed tactical crews with bomb-sniffing dogs will arrive at various stations unannounced and set up screening areas by boarding gates.

Christine Mayes of Newtown Square says she’s not surprised by Amtrak’s move:

Mayes: “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with stepped-up security and make customers safer. But, if it does slow us down and I guess, hinder our travels, then that would get a little bit irritating.”
    Reporter: "They say it’s going to be pretty quick. If that’s the case, would you be okay with that?"
    Mayes: “I’d be okay, I guess, as long as prices don’t go up and lines get longer.”

Amtrak officials say the new measures are not a response to any security threat, simply an upgrade to keep pace with the times."

Sounds like the woman interviewed does not care much, until it effects her travel plan. Seems added security is ok but don't irritate me?

I wonder why Amtrak has chosen to do this now? What could have given them the idea that now is the time to add this level of security to the Northeast corridor?

Jack

(Philadelphia County)

I wonder what would happen if a valid CCW holder was discovered to be carrying a firearm. They'd probably just refuse service.

Amtrak's a quasi governmental organization, I understand it to be private, though. They're already telling you it's prohibited (they can do that) so, if you don't abide by that, sure, you can be charged as you are breaking a law - as I understand it.

(Jefferson County)

What do you all expect from a quazi-government corporation?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    What do you all expect from a quazi-government corporation?
    Your avatar.