Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default digital camera shopping

So I'm looking to replace my aging Fuji S5000 with something newer, smaller, and with better response time (none of this "click........ CHACHINK" crap, where there's a full second delay between when I hit the button and when the picture is actually taken). I want to keep price in the $200 range. I don't need a DSLR or anything, I just want something that's small-ish, and takes excellent pictures on the run. Tripod compatibility is a plus, but not a priority by any means. I'm biased towards Nikon, because I've used their film based cameras for years and I love them (I own a 1960s model Nikkormate that owns). Anyway, the camera I've pretty much settled on is a Nikon P60. It has a 5x zoom lense, as well as various modes for point & click usability, and some manual settings for more technical shots. It also takes standard SD/SDHC memory cards, so that's a bonus. I'm not really concerned with overall megapixels, 8.1 is plenty.

Anyone else who owns a digital camera or has experience with a contemporary one around the $200 range who has another suggestion, though, is welcome to respond.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: digital camera shopping

better response time
    SHUTTER SPEED. I am just telling you so that when you're reading specs on cameras....I believe this is what you want to read up on.

(Lehigh County)

No, shutter speed is how long the shutter remains open, i.e. how long of an exposure you're doing. Shutter response speed would be what I'm looking for.

(Lebanon County)

i like sony's...current cam is a dsc650...nothing fancy by aloooooooooooong shot....
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Beaver County)

I have a Kodak Z710. I'm not much of a photographer, but it suits my needs pretty well. It was right around the $200 mark at Walmart.
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

(Philadelphia County)

I just bought one of these. Its a Panasonic FX-33. I did quite a bit of research before I got it, and this is the best camera in the $200 range, that fits my need. Its very small, so it's easy to carry. Rechargeable battery that lasts an eternity, and replacements are $15. Quick response time, and most importantly for me, a high quality wide angle lens.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; August 3rd, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cumberland County)

I run the Digital Imaging department at a Best Buy so I feel that I may be qualified to help here....I know it sucks having to buy a new memory card but go Sony DSCS150 is about $200 Sony has the least amount of "lag time" (the time between hitting the shutter release and the time it actually takes the picture) Sony's are also the best in low light shooting situations such as indoors or out while it's getting dark...it also has the older style view finder so when you are out on a sunny day and the glare makes your screen worthless you still have options....the only down fall is a 3x optical zoom, if you step up to the DSCS250 it's $250 with a 4x zoom or the DSCS350 is $300 with a 5x zoom and smile shutter (doesn't take the picture until all people are smiling....kinda worthless, but whatever) all of these models have optical image stabilization and rechargable batteries. A 2gig memory card (about 500 pictures) will cost you about $25 and is worth it.....that my $.02 anyway, but since i'm a pro i'm charging $.04
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

(Lehigh County)

I'm having trouble finding any information on this DSCS150.. could you give me a link or two to a product page? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    SHUTTER SPEED. I am just telling you so that when you're reading specs on cameras....I believe this is what you want to read up on.
    What he is talking about on that camera is NOT shutter speed ... it is the "write to disc" time they have ... I have the same camera and yes it becomes annoying sometimes especially if you are doing hi-res shots.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJazz26 View Post
    DSCS350 is $300 with a 5x zoom and smile shutter (doesn't take the picture until all people are smiling....kinda worthless, but whatever)

That is just bizzare and creepy for some reason
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast