Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SGL #206

(Luzerne County)

Default SGL #206

Headed out to the range to sight in my deer rifle, my SRH and several other guns.

The rifle range is nice. They combined the range on the left and center into one range. I'm not sure how I feel about it because it was nice to be able to go over to the old range on the left and shoot while the center range was busy.

The handicap parking area is right at the tables which is nice because my wife has trouble walking and walking up and down that hill would really be a pain for her sometimes.

As for the sight in/handgun range, in my opinion they screwed up a perfectly good set up by eliminating the 15yd handgun targets. Kind of hard to teach a new shooter how to shoot at 25yds. There was more than enough room to include a 15yd backstop. I have no idea what the PGC was thinking on this one.

The tables on the 50-75yd side of the range.

The 100yd tables.

The 50, 75 and 100yd targets.

The re-done (and screwed up) sight in/handgun range. There are two tables to the left (out of frame) for people sighting in their rifles. I would have hoped they would have kept the 15yd targets for handgun shooters. In fact I would have liked to have them add one at say 7yds and eliminate the 25yd backstop. Much easier to teach new shooters at 7-15yds than at 25yds, but what do I know?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: SGL #206

Hi, Steve: I was out there yesterday morning. I agree that they have done a good job on the rifle range.
    The pistol shooters will miss the short range targets. Yesterday there was a group of four shooters practicing/doing combat drills (I guess). They would walk up as a group to within three yards of the targets and shoot a couple of magazines each. This, of course, meant that other shooters on the line (three at that point) could not safely shoot until they were done - a PITA. Closer targets would change that to a degree. (Though, I have been at 206 when these same folk were there and they did the same thing with the short range targets. People do have a right to practice but there has to be a better way.)
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Luzerne County)

Could they have been some law enforcement types?

By the PGC law, they were in violation of the law because it says you are supposed to fire only from the established firing points.

I will admit to doing things like that, but only when the only people on the range were my wife and I.

I would not think of doing thinds like that and make other people have to wait.

I recently found a private place to shoot. A fellow officer owns a small piece of land with a nice 50yd range. I'm hoping to drag out steel plate rack out and do some shooting!
    Last edited by Steve in PA; November 3rd, 2008 at 10:00 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Steve: "Could they have been some law enforcement types? " No, they weren't LEOs.
    I've done the same thing....when I'm the only one there. Not this bunch.
    The range did get crowded. I showed up at around ten. There were two guys shooting when I set up. By 11:30, the benches were mostly full and shooters were still pulling into the lot.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...