Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Review: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical

I took the CZ 75 out to play today and thought I would take some pics and do a brief review of the pistol. I say brief because I am a slow typer and have some other things to do this week.

Here is what CZ has to say about their pistol. From the CZ website (http://czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=73):
    "The CZ 75 SP-01 is the first full size handgun (4.72” bbl) from CZ to feature the improved manufacturing technology and ergonomics of the NATO approved CZ 75 Compact P-01 model. Featuring an integral 1913 accessory rail on the dust cover, rubber grip panels, and CZ’s corrosion resistant black polycoat fi nish, the SP-01 is the newest model to join the family of pistols based on the CZ 75 (SA/DA) platform. Borrowing from the improved grip geometry of the CZ 75 Compact P-01, the SP-01 utilizes an extended beavertail to protect shooter’s strong hand as well as allowing for a deeper and more secure grip. The new grip geometry with checkering in key areas on the front and back straps combined with the redistribution of mass provided by the accessory rail noticeably decreases the perceived recoil from previous models and allows for more rapid target acquisition and transitions.
    The SP-01 was designed as a military and law enforcement duty sidearm. The new model is currently in use by security forces fighting the war on terrorism. Thanks to its exceptional accuracy and superior handling characteristics, the CZ 75 SP-01 has also found supporters in the field of sport and target shooting. Its list of users on the competition circuit include World Champions Adam Tyc and Angus Hobdell (1st and 3rd place respectively in 2005‘s IPSC championship, World Shoot XIV)."

And the stats from the same page on their site:
    Price (MSRP): US$ 635.00
    Product number: (SKU)01152
    Ammunition: 9 mm LUGER
    Magazine capacity: 19
    Rate of twist: 1:9.7 in
    Weight: 2.6 lbs
    Overall Length: 8.1 in
    Barrel Length: 4.7 in
    Height: 5.8 in
    Width: 1.5 in
    Trigger mech.: SA/DA
    Sights: fixed
    Safety elements: Manual Safety, Safety Stop on Hammer, Firing Pin Safety

Here are a couple pics of it with the bayonet accessory by it:

Here is the .22lr conversion kit called the "Kadet":

The pistol comes in 9mm and the Kadet is in .22lr. The 9mm has a capacity of 19+1 and the Kadet has a capacity of 10+1. The pistol has night sights and rubber grips. This version also has a decocker and accessory rail.

This puppy is a dream to shoot. I have small hands and it feels like it was made for me. However, everyone who picks it up seems to love how it feels and the convenience of having two calibers in one pistol is great. The weight of it in 9mm seems a bit heavier than it .22lr mostly due to mag capacity. The trigger is smooth and has a crisp break.

I have shot about 1000 rounds of each caliber through it and have yet to have a failure no matter what brand of ammo I feed it. It just eats everything.

I highly recommend the pistol for range shooting although not really for carry due to the weight and full size of the pistol. Now for some captioned pics:

The sights on the 9mm slide (Left) and the .22lr slide (Right):

Kadet slide above the mounted 9mm slide:

To the right of the pistol are the two mags, .22lr (Left) & 9mm (Right):

Here is a pic of all the parts:

The caliber conversion takes less than a minute. After removing the mag, just line up the notches at the rear of the slide and frame:

Then remove the slide lever & move the slide forward off of the front of the frame:

Put the new slide on from the front of the frame and move it back into place:

Line up the notches again and reinsert the slide lever:

The Kadet conversion also works with the bayonet:

Here is a bonus for those of you that may have a Jericho or a Baby Eagle in 9mm. You can use those mags in this pistol also:

The fit and function are flawless. Here is one of the mags in the pistol:

If you want to try it out just catch me at a group shoot or PM me about a range trip. Have a good one............................Todd
    Last edited by GRoPA; May 3rd, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Review: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical

Good review. I did not know you could get a 22 conversion kit..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lebanon County)

Very nice, I have a P0-1 and would love to get the cadet kit. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuckslayer View Post
    Very nice, I have a P0-1 and would love to get the cadet kit. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
    $299.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31192
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

nice review Todd.
    I have shot that gun and he is spot on about the ergonomics, it feels soooooo good in the hand and recoil with the 9mm is negligable.

After shooting his I boght a P-06, which is the 40SW comapact version, cool gun as well but I kinda didnt relize it was the compact when i ordered it and thought it would be larger. Though it is not too small for beong "compact" I sold it and got a 40B now.
    CZ makes great guns.

(Lancaster County)

I also have the SP-01 Tactical. It's a great handgun for the money. Everyone that handles it comments on how good it feels but how heavy it is(usually Glock shooters hehe.) But that weight at the end of the barrel keeps the muzzle flip to a minimum so you can actually reacquire the target faster after each shot. Now if I could only shoot it as well as it's capable! I also have a Kadet kit and while its a bit expensive, it's very well made and accurate. And you get to practice with the SP-01 frame for cheap.

Besides, what's not to like about a handgun with a bayonet!