Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default guns in your room

Last week I was attending a firearm course and the instructor came up with peoples that keep loaded guns next to there beds and he said that is better to keep them far away from the bed than closer, because it can keep you more alert at night, knowing that your gun is not at your arm reach from the bed. I think that there's logic in what he said, but I want to see your opinion and point of view.....thanks.
    KEEP LIVING...KEEP DOING...KEEP SHOOTING

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: guns in your room

Theres a problem to that theory... ...not all people think alike. Sure, it might work for some, might not for others.

I however, will rely on my 1911 under my pillow, the 45LC Vaquero between the bedframe and mattress, and my P99 floating around under the covers. ....that and my light sleeping that even when the neighbor's dog farts it wakes me up.

(Lycoming County)

I feel a loaded gun next to you is the best thing you can have. I keep a MAC-10 (45 acp.) on the floor and i sleep less than 3 ft. away from a rack of 5 AK's with full mags in each. ( I have no children yet, so its ok cause the dog doesn't bother the guns) When the dog barks in the night i wake up. So close is better cause the dog is better than ADT.

(Centre County)

thats odd. I myself would like to be relaxed at night.

And having my loaded M&P on right side night stand, loaded 357mag on the left side night stand, and AR15 with loaded magazine(but not chambered) under my bed sure helps me relax when I hop in my bed in my SpongeBob PJ's
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

i'd rather not wake up to someone at the foot of my bed and rely on my alertness to get it fro the other room..... i keep a mossy in my bed, i bought that one soley for that purpose

(Allegheny County)

Ruger on the nightstand, taurus and 45 in the top drawer by themselves. All loaded and chambered.

Being that I only have 2 handguns, one sleeps with me and one sleeps with my son. When I go out I take one gun with me. I try never to leave my son home gunless. Thats why he's getting the shotty for Christmas.
    My dog is always on high alert. If one of the sensor lights go on he starts barking, he hears everything no matter where he is in the house, he can hear snowflakes fall in Canada. Great thing about his bark is that its different sounding if its human or animal. Hate to have to be "ready" in the middle of the night because theres a skunk on the porch.
    When he starts barking in the middle of the night, we are already ready. My son and I have done some drills in the house just in case. People do "fire drills" with their kids in the house, which is a great idea, why not drills for a BG. Everyone should be safe no matter what kind of 'disaster' might occur. Especially if there is a firearm involved.

(Philadelphia County)

I WANT MY GUNS IN ARMS REACH OFME WHEN I SLEEP. I DONT WANT TO AWAKE TO AWAKE TO SOMEONE OVER TOP OF ME OR SOMEONE IN MY HOUSE IN NOW I HAVE TO CREEP AROUND TO GET TO THEM POSSIBLY GIVING UP MY POSITION( I HAVE CREEKY FLOORS) MY RUGER IS BETWEEN MY HEADBOARD AND MATRESS AND THE MOSSY LEANING UNDER THE BED.

(Allegheny County)

i think you might wake up in time to think to yourself:

"fuck, i wish i'd kept my gun clos........"

seriuosly, though, personally, if you are a deep sleeper (as i am), i'd come up with some other way to make sure you wake up. some ideas:

1. get a dog
    2. get a parrot (i've heard they are more sensitive and make more noise than dogs)
    3. electronic alarm system
    4. homemade perimeter alarms (e.g., fishing line trip wires attached to one of those cheap window alarms that go off when two magnets get separated...or even just attached to a bunch of tin cans that will rattle against each other).

my bedroom is also a strategic mess i've got boxes of books, random pieces of furniture, and other knee high junk scattered around in there...if you don't know where to step, you're gonna make a serious racket and probably end up falling down trying to move around in there in the dark.

(i, of course, did not do this intentionally...i'm just a bit of a pack rat...but i think it really would buy me some time if someone actually came into my bedroom at night.)

(Berks County)

I always sleep with a gun under my pillow (paranoia) and another one on a table across the room. A couple of times I've tried sleeping without a gun under my pillow, and for some strange reason I kept waking up to every little sound I heard. So I guess I'm more relaxed/at ease with a gun right next to me while I'm sleeping, but more jumpy/nervous when it's not.

rand

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast