Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Flashing your CCW to "prevent" may not always work

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49977937.html

"SEATTLE - A man was brutally kicked and beaten late Saturday near Lake Union after he asked a group of men to watch their language and then displayed a handgun to them.

Police were called to the scene, a boat moorage dock in the 1800 block of Westlake Avenue North, at about 10:20 p.m.

Investigators learned that an argument had broken out earlier after the man asked the group to to stop using foul language and to keep down the noise, as it was a family type of place.

When the group of suspects became aggressive, the man showed them a holstered handgun and told them he feared for his safety, Seattle police said.

The suspects then rushed the victim and began beating him. One of the suspects was kicking the victim in the head while the victim was lying on the ground, investigators said.

As the man and the suspects struggled with the gun, it discharged. Nothing appeared to be hit.

The gun was kicked into water about 40 feet deep, so it was not immediately recovered.

The victim suffered extensive injuries to his face and head, and he was rushed to Harborview Medical Center.

The suspects were arrested and booked into King County Jail for investigation of assault. "

I'm not sure what this guy was thinking. If I CC, the only part of my gun the perps will see would be the muzzle. They won't have a chance to admire the color of my holster's leather.

Al

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Flashing your CCW to "prevent" may not always work

Never use a weapon to threaten . In fact , never threaten .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Bucks County)

What an idiot. How does indelicate language warrant a threat of deadly force?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    Never use a weapon to threaten . In fact , never threaten .
    Hear, hear...
    There have been stories where having a gun exiting the holster was enough to quell any further conflict. This one wasn't so smart and still had it in the holster in a CLOSED setting.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Apparently 1A means nothing because he was there "representing" 2A. Ugh...idiot indeed.

Al

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49977937.html

When the group of suspects became aggressive, the man showed them a holstered handgun and told them he feared for his safety, Seattle police said.

I don't think he showed them his gun to say "keep it down or I have a gun". From the sounds from the article, they got apparently aggressive. Whether that warents showing somebody your gun is a different story. But I don't think he showed them his gun to quiet down.
    Last edited by StraussiE WousiE; July 7th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Lehigh County)

"Never show your sword unless you intend to use it" ~ Tommy Chong in the Corsican Brothers

I think this guy is deserved what he got... He threatened the wrong people. If I get into an arguement with someone and they show me a gun... In a threatening manner...I would react harshly.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE View Post
    I don't think he showed them his gun to say "keep it down or I have a gun, from the sounds from the article, they got apparently aggressive. Whether that warents showing somebody your gun is a different story. But I don't think he showed them his gun to quiet down.
    Unless you are prepared & justified to use it , don't bring it up . someone may call your bluff , then what ?
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    Unless you are prepared & justified to use it , don't bring it up . someone may call your bluff , then what ?
    Exactly.

We all know that the article may very well be inaccurate, but it sounds to me like the guy with the gun escalated the situation. How about if you don't like what you hear, you move to a different location? Avoidance of a potentially volatile encounter should always be your first course of action.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Exactly. It doesnt.

Pulling a gun on someone thats cursing around children, getting into a fight, having the gun accidentally go off, then getting your ass kicked, is SURELY very conducive to the keeping that boat moorage dock a "family type of place".
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; July 7th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    As the man and the suspects struggled with the gun, it discharged. Nothing appeared to be hit.

Now to find out what was hit....had to go somewhere...hopefully not into one of those boats down-dock...where somebody was napping...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast