Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Checking Firearm with Pelican Case?

Doing a ton of reading and research, I will be flying for the first time with my firearm (either xds or cw9) in April. I have decided that I will be checking the case by itself, not putting it into another piece of luggage. Trying to perform due diligence, in this manner, do the lockable type of pelican cases meet the requirements? I believe they do, but want to ask others here who have flown with their firearms before. I have my LTCF, flying from PA to FL, then FL to VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.

Default Re: Checking Firearm with Pelican Case?

Quote Originally Posted by pdougc View Post
    Doing a ton of reading and research, I will be flying for the first time with my firearm (either xds or cw9) in April. I have decided that I will be checking the case by itself, not putting it into another piece of luggage. Trying to perform due diligence, in this manner, do the lockable type of pelican cases meet the requirements? I believe they do, but want to ask others here who have flown with their firearms before. I have my LTCF, flying from PA to FL, then FL to VA.
    Put it in another item is my suggestion to you. Even something like a cheep backpack with a few t-shirts in it. make sure you lock it properly. Because when they try to pry it open and if they get it open even 1/4 of an inch it will fail TSA inspection. And DO NOT GIVE YOUR KEYS TO ANYBODY if the TSA wants to inspect the case you instruct them only you will unlock the case. And make sure the locks you use ARE NOT TSA approved however make sure you use TSA APPROVED locks on the backpack. And go to the hardware store and get NON STICKY Insulating and Sealing Wrap and wrap that around your loaded mags that will/should satisfy the "encased ammo" policy of some airlines.

Last edited by IIIIIREPOIIIII; March 20th, 2016 at 04:19 PM.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    Put it in another item is my suggestion to you. Even something like a cheep backpack with a few t-shirts in it. make sure you lock it properly. Because when they try to pry it open and if they get it open even 1/4 of an inch it will fail TSA inspection. And DO NOT GIVE YOUR KEYS TO ANYBODY if the TSA wants to inspect the case you instruct them only you will unlock the case. And make sure the locks you use ARE NOT TSA approved however make sure you use TSA APPROVED locks on the backpack. And go to the hardware store and get NON STICKY Insulating and Sealing Wrap and wrap that around your loaded mags that will/should satisfy the "encased ammo" policy of some airlines.
    +1 on the bold. You don't want someone walking off with the gun who shouldn't, and a handgun case is small enough to slip into another bag easily. Nothing screams "something valuable is inside" like a Pelican case

I took my S&W 642 on a trip with me last year. I put it in the factory hard case with a basic brass padlock (i.e., non-TSA) on it, put that in my one checked suitcase (with TSA lock on it), and had the ammo in the original box in the same suitcase. No problem other than the guy at the check-in passed entirely over me clearly telling him, twice, that I had a firearm in my checked bag to declare (it was my first time flying with a gun). Security handled it politely and quickly (I just needed to fill out a simple declaration form re: the gun being unloaded, a copy of which went in the suitcase along with the gun) and all was well. You can bet I made sure I had the check-in attendant's attention on the return trip!

The only thing I might disagree with REPO on is how to transport the ammo. I think having loaded mags in the case is a bad idea (particularly if TSA insists on you showing them that the gun is unloaded), and it's simple to comply with the regulations by using the original box.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    The only thing I might disagree with REPO on is how to transport the ammo. I think having loaded mags in the case is a bad idea (particularly if TSA insists on you showing them that the gun is unloaded), and it's simple to comply with the regulations by using the original box.
    TSA says LOADED MAGS ARE OK. It is some of the airlines that want encased ammo. The firearm is still NOT LOADED even with loaded mags next to it.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by pdougc View Post

Flying Out of PA won't be a problem. When I flew out of NC they had three people yanking on my case to try and get it to fail.
    I now have a pelican case because I don't want to deal with that stupidity again.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(York County)

^^^^what they said. Absolutely put the locked hard case in another bag so it's not obvious to everyone of the workers who will come in contact with it. Some even go so far as to use a locking cable between the case and the bag, but I've never tried that. The airport is one place that concealed is actually better than out in the open
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Flying Out of PA won't be a problem. When I flew out of NC they had three people yanking on my case to try and get it to fail.
    I now have a pelican case because I don't want to deal with that stupidity again.
    An alternative locked hardcase approach; I bought a used Haliburton aluminum suitcase, very cheap, with older locks, predating the TSA. For the average flyer, the suitcases have become unusable due to the lack of TSA locks and a pristine one can be found for 25% to 50% of Pelican pricing.

The aluminum suitcase becomes the guncase with room for your clothes.

For travel with a firearm, an aluminum suitcase is ideal, and the lack of TSA locks are a plus for security.
    I got the idea from some photographers who started traveling with a firearm, to allow travel using, pre-TSA, Haliburton instrument/camera cases, keeping their equipment secure without having to update the locks, or, purchase new cases.

(Washington County)

I've flown numerous times from PA to AL and back with handgun. I bought a Cabela's brand Pelican-style hard case. I agree with the above about putting the gun case inside normal looking luggage. I also like the idea of the Haliburton suit case.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

This is the exact setup I have and it works well. Definitely put it in your luggage.

LOCKS

TSA Luggage Lock

Pick n Pluck Pelican Case for subcompact, possible compact

Airlines have specific rules about ammo storage. Most say the original box or something like an MTM plastic case.

(Luzerne County)

Ok, I'm sold on putting into another bag, I was going off the recommendation of keeping it separate from your regular luggage, but I see the wisdom in putting into a backpack.

What locks are those, I like how they do not allow the use of boltcutters!

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast