Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Pa vehicle window tint

Can anyone point me to the section of vehicle code the covers window tint?

I was going through evans city the other night and we drive past a cop at the school. No biggie. He was sitting there watching his computer screen doing whatever it is they do.

Well I made a joke about him pulling me over because my dvd screen in my car is bigger than his. (not really but it was a joke)

Well wouldnt you know it a second later he pulls out behind me. Now at first i just figured he was checking to see if i was watching tv while driving which i wasnt, but when the screen is up on radio is still shows a display on the full screen. So we go through town, I could tell he came up close to get my plate # and backed off to run it. I figured ok cool he'll turn off in a second.

Well as soon as we exit town just as i expect him to turn off.. he hits his lights. Long story short. He says i have illegal window tint.

Ive had this car for 6 years with this tint as i bought it. A black bmw with black tint, you can bet it gets pulled over every chance they get. Not to mention that i live like 2 miles from the state police barracks, and they see this car about 3-5 times a day. No one has EVER mentioned my tint.

He said if it was factory it would be legal but since its aftermarket its not. My question is.. how the hell does he know until after he pulled me over and could inspect it up close?

He didnt tell me to remove it. Didnt even really give me a verbal OR written warning about it. Just said it was illegal, asked if i grew up around here (which i did - and he damn well already knew) and sent me on my way. Funny thing is i bought the car about 1/4 mile up the road from where he pulled me over. This cars been in that area for well over 10 years with that tint.

I really just think the enticement of pulling over my car gets to be too much for some leo's, so they come up with anything. But out of curiosity Id like to know what the law is regarding tint if anyone can point me to it.
    Last edited by jud4420; February 27th, 2009 at 05:20 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Pa vehicle window tint

(Lawrence County)

anything past 70% light transmission is illegal. sorry bub.... but it's true.... come out cranberry twp way and see how fast you get a ticket.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Allegheny County)

Here's an old thread on the subject of tinted windows.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/98...tomobiles.html

Tip: Type "tinted windows" in the search at the top of the page
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Pretty sure that 70% is the MAX in PA, which isn't even worth tinting your windows...also, 70% only applies to the rear windows. Windows beside (front door windows) or infront of the driver (windshield or small side mirror windows on some cars) may not be tinted at all.

(Beaver County)

Cranberry/New Sewickley Twp/Mars/Zeli/Baden/Ambridge/Rochester/Beaver/Monaca/Freedom.... and a bunch more around beaver county will make you tear it off on the side of the road.

You dont see much tint around here unless your in the Fire Dept or Medic Rescue/ambulance service... then you can tint windows, drink and drive, speed... anything you want. Just make sure you have the FD or MR liscence plate on your front bumper and a sticker on your back window! When you get pulled over you name drop your pals, flash your ID card, and talk to the cool officer that you worked with 5 times last week on various accidents or house fires. He tells you to take care and drive safe.

That doesn't make me too mad, just a little mad.

A couple pals of mine fall into that group... and they get away with all kinds of things that would get most of us in real trouble. They are insiders to a minor degree... but enough of insiders to get out of some shit.

You won't find any cars with factory tint, or SUV's/trucks w/ factory tint infront of the drivers seat so its usually pretty easy to tell whats what.

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Cranberry/New Sewickley Twp/Mars/Zeli/Baden/Ambridge/Rochester/Beaver/Monaca/Freedom.... and a bunch more around beaver county will make you tear it off on the side of the road.

I had double 5% on my side/rear windows, and 20% on my front windshield on my last car so I have been pulled over in just about all of those localities and gotta say that just isn't true.

(Lawrence County)

dude, 20% on the front windshield???? seriously?? didn't plan on driving the car at night did ya.

I had double 5% on all of the side and rear windows of my srt4. It was like .5% light transmission couldn't see in the front windshield of my car in the daylight... and that wasn't even tinted! haha! I LOVED my tint, until a cop took a razor blade to em when i was pulled over on freedom road one day.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Beaver County)

XD45, you must be special. I had 3 pals who showed up at the garage with everyone looking and LOL'ing at them after they destroyed the window tint while pulled over. The adhesive does not pull off with the film.

Its not something to argue about, but lets say it can happen.

With your front window tinted I'm amazed you did not get a tow truck called. Window tint seems to be a hot topic around here for the LEO boys.

(Philadelphia County)

Here is the PennDOT Vehicle Sun Screening Fact Sheet PDF link
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast