Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Names

(Jefferson County)

Default Dog Names

To all the dog owners out there, How did you come up with a name for a dog?

Did you already have a name picked out before you got the dog, or are you like some that just let the dog name itself?( as in its actions).
    they're selling make believe and we don't buy that here

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Dog Names

I have only owned German Shepherds so I usually use 2 syllable German sounding names. Some breeders us letters to keep track and request you use a corresponding letter. Like if you get a pup from a B litter you might name your dog Bronson.
    "Most" commands are one syllable so most of my dogs are two syllable names. IE: Nika..sit Nika..come Nika..heel

(Luzerne County)

I generaly wait a few days before nameing the new pup. The current batch is:

BoBo because she looks and acts like a clown. Shes a Saint.

BoBos Shadow "Shadow" because he is a rotti and he just blends into the shadows.

Tiny BoBo "Tiny" Because I have a sense of humor. He is a male Saint.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

It's a hard-to-explain metaphysical process... the name usually suggests itself after watching the dog for a day or two.

Sometimes kids have a neat knack for coming up with just the right name for a pet, too.

(Beaver County)

named my female after one of my friends boxers that lost his life after his buddy died from cancer so my 90 pound lab mommy is ginger and kept one of her pups from our last litter and was simple to keep the g thing going with a 110 ponud pup gunner.not a pup anymore just turned two but still acts like it.
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    It's a hard-to-explain metaphysical process... the name usually suggests itself after watching the dog for a day or two.
    I can hear it now, "Here dumb ass, here boy"
    Last edited by tdyoung58; July 25th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Luzerne County)

[QUOTE=tdyoung58;830002]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    QUOTE]

I can hear it now, "Here dumb ass, here boy"
    Hence the name BOBO.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Schuylkill County)

All my black labs are named pepper, in honor of the first pound puppy black lab I had as a kid.

Physical markings are good.

Greek names (ala Magnum PIs 'dobes Zues and Apollo etc)

German names (Yeager is a good one)

Reversed names (fat dog called 'tiny', tiny dog called 'moose').

Say the name a few times to the dog and see if it fits. If not, its a dog, pick another name.

My son picked out Rocky's name.

"Ma.......he just "rocks".

Whatever......teenagers!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

We have had 2nd hand dogs alot and they already have a name, though sometimes it is a stupid name so we change it. A German shepherd shelter dog was orginally named Gizmo, so mom changed it to Grace, same name as the woman who runs the shelter and who was so great about placing the dog with us. Grace was a great dog and she had a vet record to go with her ( previous owner had died and she ended up at the shelter), so when she died we knew for a fact she was 17 years old!

Sally- 2nd hand dog and this was her name and it didn't sound stupid, so we kept it
    Sam- 2nd hand dog, had no name ( was found by a homeless guy my mother knew, and he begged her to take the dog)- dad just sort of thought he looked like a Sam
    Dakota- our crazy red heeler- this was the name he already had
    Wolf- my old fart blue heeler- his AKC papers name is "Wolf, Out of the Blue, Part II" LMAO!- named after Wolf I who was a blue cattle dog mixed with what looked like short haired pointer.

Wolf I- was a dog we found dumped on the side of the road and he was still there hours later guarding his quarter full bag of dog food and waiting for his master to come back, which of course they had no intention of. I figured he had a name and I was going through a bunch of names to see if he showed recognition. He also was a weird and feral looking dog and I thought of him as being wolfish. For fun I called "Wolf" to him, and dangit if he didn't perk his ears and turn and look at me. Must have been his name, as he ignored any others I tossed his way. Best dog I ever had too, smart, VERY loyal, but also quite even tempered unless a person was a threat. I could groom him, bath him, whatever, and none of this nippy crap purebred cattle dogs seem to do. He also had a very strong herding instinct, but it was never channeled through training. He used to point sometimes too, yet back then I never even thought he was mixed with a pointer. He would stalk squirrels LOL, never caught any though.

3 male German shepherds named Mars- Mars I, II, and III- dad name the first Mars, I guess he just liked the name- the god of war, and the next 2 down the line were named the same. Mars III should have been named Dumbell or something though, my parents got him from an Amish puppy mill without realizing it till later. The poor dog was retarded and had shyness issues. But he was very sweet to us, even if he ran away from anyone else. Despite being a puppy mill dog, he lived till he was like 13, and he was a huge German shepherd.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast