Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New ammunition coding legislation

New legislation is being introduced today in 18 states...

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including Illinois and Indiana) requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a database of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011 (including hand loaded ammo). They will also charge a .05-cent tax on every round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation and the specific legislation for each state, go to:

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: New ammunition coding legislation

How can it be introduced today when session is up for the year?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    How can it be introduced today when session is up for the year?
    The word "today" was a part of the email sent to me that I cut and pasted to the forum; did you go to the link in the post or are you just concerned with the "today" issue?

Frankly I think they have a better chance of stopping alcoholic beverages than ammunition. How are they going to enforce this; barge into everybody's house and tear it apart looking for a cartridge?

(Berks County)

Only speaking for the bill that was introduced in Pa., it died in committee when the House adjourned for the session. Will it be reintroduced in the next session, probably and probably with the same results. This one will not pass in Pa.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

Well that would be good news; it's kind of stupid to think it wold do anything but be a menace. It sure wont make people turn in ammunition.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    The word "today" was a part of the email sent to me that I cut and pasted to the forum; did you go to the link in the post or are you just concerned with the "today" issue?

Frankly I think they have a better chance of stopping alcoholic beverages than ammunition. How are they going to enforce this; barge into everybody's house and tear it apart looking for a cartridge?
    There was no need to go to the link, it has been discussed at length on at least 3 different threads here since it was introduced in February. I was just pointing out that it was incorrect information for anyone who may not have been following. As Bill mentioned, it is dead but will be back next year.

The way they will enforce it is to make it a felony to have any ammunition that is not encoded then when you are caught with it you will never be able to own a firearm again. This is how they will eventually ban firearms, they will regulate to death who can own them until if you have a traffic ticket you are a prohibited person. Keep cutting our numbers until there is no one left to fight.

That is my argument for allowing any free man to keep and bear arms. Once you have done your time and paid for your crime you should be a 1st class citizen again with all your rights restored. It used to be only felons were prohibited,which is still bullshit, but look now, if you have a couple dui's you are prohibited, if your jealous ex says you hit her you are prohibited, hell I've heard you can be hit under the controlled substance act for having someone elses prescription bottle in your vehicle, bang you're prohibited.

Anyways I got a little off tangent there and I really don't think they can pass this bill but that's how they would enforce it. Would they catch everyone? No, but the ones they do catch would never own firearms in the state again.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post

Seconded.

This is just another bill that is paid for by the company that provides a special, proprietary form of gun control, to which only their company holds the patent. There's little to no risk of it's being considered in states like KY, PA, TN, etc, but evidently the company figures that perhaps if enough feces are thrown at the wall...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ