Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Going to get a Garand

Getting ready to buy a Garand from CMP. Going to go for a service grade.

I just applied for membership to the Garand Collector's Association so that will fulfill my last eligibility requirement.

Anything I should look for after I get it? Going to purchase a book about the Garands here soon as well. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Going to get a Garand

Order a case or two of ammo at the same time. I got one of the leather slings as well. If you dont have any grease handy, you will want to go out and pick up a tube. If you arent already, consider joining the CMP forum. They are about the best resource for Garand info out there.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by eocoolj View Post
    Order a case or two of ammo at the same time. I got one of the leather slings as well. If you dont have any grease handy, you will want to go out and pick up a tube. If you arent already, consider joining the CMP forum. They are about the best resource for Garand info out there.
    already joined the forum and i have been checking out a few threads.

what kind of grease are you talking about and what exactly is it needed for?

(Butler County)

If you have the time, go to the North Store in Port Clinton Ohio and hand select your service grade M1 rifle. If you've never been there, it's worth at least one trip. Plan on spending a few hours. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    There are several points on the garand that require grease. The manual goes over exactly where to grease, but essentially its the major moving parts (op-rod and bolt). What kind of grease to use is a matter of discussion. If you go poke around online or at gun shows, you will probably be able to find the little grease pots designed specifically for the garand. On the other hand, I use Lubrimatic "Red Grease" but just about any lithium grease or similar product from your local hardware store will probably do the trick. I chose the red grease over the standard black lithium type because it has a higher drip point and is designed for "higher pressure and temperature" situations, which sounded appropriate for use on the garand. It was only about a dollar more than the standard stuff, and a single tube will probably last you the rest of your life.

I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference exactly what grease you use, as long as you don't run it dry. Also, if you dont have any q-tips handy, i found them to be the easiest way to apply the grease without making a mess.
    Last edited by eocoolj; December 19th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Lubriplate is the grease I use for my Garand.

Any kind of grease will work. Some like to use lithium base grease as it doesn't wash off easily. I use Mobil 1 grease I use on my cars.

Going to purchase a book about the Garands here soon as well. Any suggestions?

Scott Duff's books are the nost technically accurate. Before you go out and buy a book read all the tech data and info on the CMP website which has a wealth of information. Order some ammo from CMP as eocoolj said. You can also learn a lot in the CMP forum. There's much information there and you get to know the real experts. Start with at least one can of the ammo in clips to give yourself a supply of clips. They give you one with the rifle. You can't beat the price of CMP ammo even reloading unless you get a tremendous deal on components.

(Perry County)

well, gotta push this back now. found out today that i am getting laid off.

When you get ready give me a yell I have few books & Garand accessory that I do not need.
    "343" Never Forgotten