Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for a reloading instructor in .223

I live in the Pittsburgh area, near the airport, and I want to get some experienced help in reloading .223 for my son. He is currently deployed in Iraq, due back in mid-May, and asked me to reload some practice .223. I have been reloading pistol ammo for six months now using the Lee Classic Turret. Obviously I know reloading but not pistol, thus the request for some hands on help in rifle calibers. Since .223 are loaded to much higher pressures I don't want to self-teach or "you tube" teach. While I understand the concepts and the differences between rifle and pistol I would like to proceed carefully.

I don't have ANY of the rifle components or dies yet and that is the second question. Add to my list and tell me what I need:

1. components - brass, bullets, powder, primers
    2. dies - I will probably buy the Lee Deluxe Rifel die set
    3. case trimmer
    4. primer pocket cleaner - is this necessary? I don't use one in my pistol loading

What else is needed? I will use my small digital scale for powder charging as well as the calipers and other hand tools.

If rifle components are as scarce as pistol, this should be interesing.

Anyone? Of course, I am willing to travel a decent distance.

Thanks in advance
    grumpa72@gmail.com

Ps, feel free to email me with your preferences in rifle powder and primers. I am open to suggestions.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking for a reloading instructor in .223

The only real difference between pistol and rifle is that you need to lube the rifle case. Everything else is business as usual.
    Add to your list some case lube such as Hornady's One Shot. There are quite a few to choose from. Look around for supplies because they aren't too plentiful right now.
    As for the primer pocket cleaner, more than likely you won't need it but it is better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    I live in the Pittsburgh area, near the airport, and I want to get some experienced help in reloading .223 for my son. He is currently deployed in Iraq,

I don't have ANY of the rifle components or dies yet and that is the second question. Add to my list and tell me what I need:

1. components - brass, bullets, powder, primers
    2. dies - I will probably buy the Lee Deluxe Rifel die set
    3. case trimmer
    4. primer pocket cleaner - is this necessary? I don't use one in my pistol loading

What else is needed? I will use my small digital scale for powder charging as well as the calipers and other hand tools.

If rifle components are as scarce as pistol, this should be interesing.

Anyone? Of course, I am willing to travel a decent distance.

Thanks in advance
    grumpa72@gmail.com

Ps, feel free to email me with your preferences in rifle powder and primers. I am open to suggestions.

We thank your son and honor him for his service - may God protect him in his duty.

You have the order and choice correct. The components are going to be the difficult thing to find - economically. Standard small rifle primers shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Selection of bullet is open, depencing on what you wish to accomplish, but I am using Hornady's 55gr boat-tailed FMJ, with cannelure (55gr BTFMJ w/c). For my particular guns, I have decent results so far with 26.0 grains of Accurate Arms #2230. I would definitely NOT suggest this as a starting point for your rifles, but rather think you should follow relaoding manuals' advice. I began at 25.0 and worked up from there, and then worked back down to a level that combines acceptable accuracy, recoil, and pressure for my particular firearms.

Good choice on the dies - I have dies from a number of manufactrers, and I think LEE dies are well-made and functionally excellent, and at a great price to boot.

Case length seems to be an issue for me at this time, and though my experience with the .223 cartridge is not extensive, I find that trimming is appropriate every 2 or 3 firings. Necks seem to flow a little more on this caliber, though it may have something to do with my choice of brass - once-fired military.

As for primer pockets, if they get really cruddy, I clean, but ordinarily, I find no practical difference for plinking and practice ammo. Now, if I were to begin matches with this, I might change my opinion.

As for inviting you to visit, certainly. But . . . . . . I am in Franklin County, more than a couple hours East of you.

Flash

Edited to reference the Lyman manual as a long-time standard. There was a time when the bullet and powder manufacturers published little folders on their own products, but there was not much overlap. Today, more information is available. Powder mfrs do much broader work than they did, and IMHO, better thanthe bullet mfrs.

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; April 5th, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Edited to reference the Lyman manual

(Chester County)

The Lee case trimmer is pretty good. I hook mine up to my power drill and can trim cases pretty quickly. Anyways, you have experience and it's not much different at all other than having to lube the cases.

Oh, you may also need something to cut back the primer pocket crimp (if you are processing military brass).

25.0gr of Varget under a 55gr FMJ will fit the bill for a nice practice shooting load.

(Lebanon County)

i want to add to availability.
    this is a super popular caliber. finding any of the components will be a challenge.
    small rifle primers are almost impossible to find.
    any of the common die sets are on backorder straight from lee.....been waiting almost a month for 38/357 dies.
    about the only thing easily found are bullets.
    even brass is scarce.
    you probably should be looking for stuff now, and worring about figuring out to use it later.

the process is the same, short of needing to lube the cases.
    as a side note, steel cases can be reloaded.
    Last edited by brian; April 4th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i want to add to availability.
    any of the common die sets are on backorder straight from lee.....been .
    To all, thank you for the comments. I have been shopping components to see who has what. I won't get into the hoarding frenzy so I shop using Google.

Brian,
    According to the Lee web site, their .223 dies are available directly from them at www.leeprecision.com.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    To all, thank you for the comments. I have been shopping components to see who has what. I won't get into the hoarding frenzy so I shop using Google.

Brian,
    According to the Lee web site, their .223 dies are available directly from them at www.leeprecision.com.
    they do not list them as backordered, but place your order and see how long it takes.
    like i said, been waiting almost a month for .38/357. ordered a bunch of case trimers with them....that stuff showed up in about 2weeks....with a handwritten note on the bill of lading, stating the dies will ship when availible.
    took six weeks to get my 45acp's...straight from lee.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Tioga County)

I prefer RCBS dies to Lee's. I believe that they are a better die but that 's just me as a lot of people like Lee's.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    I prefer RCBS dies to Lee's. I believe that they are a better die but that 's just me as a lot of people like Lee's.
    I second that. I do however have a Lee FCD to accessorize my .223 RCBS die set.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lawrence County)

If you're in the New Castle area stop at Dukes Sport Shop. As of about noon today they had about 6 bricks of small rifle primers. (I got a brick of each small and large pistol today, they have those in stock too!) The powder selection is still pretty well stocked. They seem to be able to keep a little of everything in the store. They even have 9mm, 380 and 45 in stock, most places I hear, are out of that too!

+1 for Lee dies!

Good luck, and tell your son I said thanks for serving, and welcome home!!

Jake (Former E-5 Sonar Tech US Navy Submarines)

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................