Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Delaware state CCW?

Probably a stupid question, and one that I'm sure has been answered before, but by way of clarification ...
    While I checked past posts, I wanted to make sure I had this right. Pennsylvania residents cannot obtain CCW permits for Delaware state, since our states do not have reciprocity agreements? Is this right? From what I've read, it appears as though the best route around this is to obtain a nonresident FL or Utah permit/license, which would allow me to carry in Delaware. Do I have this right, or have all the holiday calories gone to my head?
    Happy New Year to all!

(Adams County)

Default Re: Delaware state CCW?

Reciprocity (or lack thereof) doesn't have anything to do with getting a non-resident license/permit, but it does mean DE will not honor a PA license. And since DE apparently doesn't issue to non-resident 's, your best best would be to get a FL, UT or even VA non-resident license/permit. Depending on where else you travel other than DE might help you decide which one of these or any others shown in the link below would be to your advantage.

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/...dweapons.shtml

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyec View Post
    Probably a stupid question, and one that I'm sure has been answered before, but by way of clarification ...
    While I checked past posts, I wanted to make sure I had this right. Pennsylvania residents cannot obtain CCW permits for Delaware state, since our states do not have reciprocity agreements? Is this right? From what I've read, it appears as though the best route around this is to obtain a nonresident FL or Utah permit/license, which would allow me to carry in Delaware. Do I have this right, or have all the holiday calories gone to my head?
    Happy New Year to all!

You are correct. Delaware requires certain training take place prior to issuing their CCW. I know Delaware accepts the Utah permit, and it is the main reason I have mine. Our grandson and his family live there and we visit as often as we can.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I got a Florida license primarily to be legal in Delaware and Ohio. Utah requires a specific training course. There are trainers here in PA who offer the course, but Florida's requirements are less restrictive. The only difference in coverage that I can find is that Utah gives you Washington (state).

You are correct, Delaware does not issue permits to non-residents. Non-residents best choice will be FL or Utah non-resident permit. But also keep in mind, Delaware is an Open Carry state. I live in southern Delaware and OC all of the time.
    In DE, you do not need a LTCF, CCW, CCDW of any kind to openly carry on foot or in a vehicle. When in a vehicle all you need to do is place the firearm on the dashboard or on the passenger seat.

For more information visit www.deloc.org

Chip

Placing a firearm on the dashboard or passanger seat does not sound like the best place of storage to me. Quick stop or auto accident and it's flying all over the place. Hot summer day with the window down also offers some problems. Only in Delaware!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Placing a firearm on the dashboard or passanger seat does not sound like the best place of storage to me. Quick stop or auto accident and it's flying all over the place. Hot summer day with the window down also offers some problems. Only in Delaware!
    Believe it or not, we have already thought of that, many of us have devised many different ways in which to secure our firearms in our vehicles, some are quite unique and offer excellent retention of the firearm while traveling.

And yes, those are the only two options offered for those that do not have a Delaware CCDW. At least we can still transport and openly carry a firearm anywhere we travel in a vehicle without ANY kind of permit. If I recall, the only way someone can travel in PA with a loaded firearm in a vehicle is with a state issued permission slip (LTCF)......

Some have modified Serpa holsters and directly attached them to the dashboard, attached holsters to a clip board that easily slips between the seats or seat back and seat cushion. There are several commercial type holster mounting systems available for vehicle that can be used to secure a firearm and still be within the requirements of the law. But I will agree that just haphazardly laying a loaded firearm on the dashboard or seat is just plain dangerous.
    Last edited by scampbell3; December 31st, 2009 at 10:32 PM.