Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Locked gun storage (gun safe?) options.

I’ve got kids, so need to keep the guns locked up. As awesome as it would be to have some of that nifty “hide a gun furniture” keeping the kids out And letting me get in, in a reasonable time, is goal 1.

Right now I have a cheep gun “safe” That would keep a motivated person out for probably a minute, without them having any special life skills.

I’m not looking for anything Specific, other then the ability to hold both long arms and pistols, and lock. A traditional gun cabinet would be fine, as I figure most crooks are smart enough to google “how to open a gun safe”.

it is in the bedroom, so something that looks nicer then say “a safe” would please the wife. Open to
    Any style.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Locked gun storage (gun safe?) options.

Spend as much as you can, get the best that you can, as big as you practically can.
    Personally I like Fort Knox, their stuff is excellent and nice looking too.

The best way to go for access is to get a safe with both a digital and mechanical lock.
    That way if the quick access digital fails, which they do, the mechanical stays functional.

Alternatively, you can get a mechanical lock safe and also a small simplex push button lock box for your immediate access gun.
    The Fort Knox lock boxes are also excellent and will keep kids and thieves out.

Go watch that safe video that's been posted here a dozen times.
    It will straighten out your thought process and priorities.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Butler County)

Whatever you buy get it 3 times bigger than you think you need.

(Lancaster County)

There are in wall gun lockers that fit between studs in the walls. They could be easily concealed behind a full length mirror.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northumberland County)

I went through the safe/cabinet debate a year ago and settled on a Liberty Fatboy Jr. for under $1500 on sale. Delivery was another $350 and worth it, but also probably avoidable with a few strong buddies and a furniture dolly. Having a kid was a factor in my decision, as were seeing a friends house burn down and realizing my collection's value exceeded the cost of a safe. It's not "pretty" and was heavy as shit, but very happy with it all around. Mechanical lock was a big plus. And specs were generally better than anything from TSC, Dunhams, etc. Piestracks in NEPA and Richland Shooters in Lebanon County are 2 well regarded Liberty distributors.

(Montgomery County)

I bought a sentinel 18 gun safe from ebay for $180 with free 3 day shipping.

Does just fine for me.

(Bucks County)

If you can hide it out of sight or even in plain site, that is your best bet. If you can't hide it then getting something more difficult to pry open or torch/saw through will be better. That's just my advice. Don't make it obvious that there is a safe there and it won't be a target.

IMO all consumer grade safes are vulnerable. Even higher end safes can be opened like a tuna can from the top or sides with one of these.51744_0725-20-lg.jpg

Buy what works for you. Buy larger than you need. And use the safe as one of multiple layers. Put in good outdoor lighting, a security system, and bolt whatever you use down to the floor, preferably in a corner, limiting exposure to the more vulnerable sides.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    IMO all consumer grade safes are vulnerable. Even higher end safes can be opened like a tuna can from the top or sides with one of these.51744_0725-20-lg.jpg

Buy what works for you. Buy larger than you need. And use the safe as one of multiple layers. Put in good outdoor lighting, a security system, and bolt whatever you use down to the floor, preferably in a corner, limiting exposure to the more vulnerable sides.
    If you are that worried about someone using a grinder to open your safe ..... epoxy some plexiglass over the vulnerable areas, it will gum up the disk to the point it wont cut metal

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There are in wall gun lockers that fit between studs in the walls. They could be easily concealed behind a full length mirror.
    A between-the-studs locking cabinet in the wall behind the bedroom door would be good. What thief is going to look behind the door or close the door behind him?

https://www.grainger.com/product/402...JXRP4:20500731

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast