Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Suddenly a gun owner...

Hi,

My father-in-law recently passed away, and unbeknownst to us, he had a small cache of firearms. We think it's been at least twenty years since any of them were fired, or even seen sunlight.

The last firearm I fired was an M16 in 1985, my wife has never fired a gun, so all this is all pretty foreign to me.

US Remington 03-A3
    US Springfield Armory M2
    American Gun C. double barrel shotgun
    Beretta Bobcat
    Interarms Walther PPK
    Crosman 160 Pellgun

I'm hoping to find someone local who can check out the firearms and clean them if necessary.

Might anyone have a suggestion of a person (local to Reading) to give the guns a once over for viability?

Thanks!

Paul
    Last edited by GabisDaddi; July 8th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Suddenly a gun owner...

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like a nice collection you have there. I would take them to your local gun smith to have them give a once over. Post pictures if you can. I have been wanting an 03A3 for a while now and im hoping to score on at the next gun show.
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    take them to your local gun smith
    That's what I'm looking for, a recommendation of a local smith

Post pictures if you can.
    Not sure why, but I've been having a heck of a time getting good pics of them. Here's the best of what I've got so far. There's also a black powder "pistol". That's in quotes because it is twenty six inches long. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2p5ltjyhzvyigxb/t5fwQK0_ed

I have been wanting an 03A3 for a while now and im hoping to score on at the next gun show.
    What are they worth? Finding firearm prices isn't like going to ebay or amazon and looking it up...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GabisDaddi View Post
    What are they worth? Finding firearm prices isn't like going to ebay or amazon and looking it up...
    Yes it is, you just have to use the "eBay" of guns. Lol

Gunbroker
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GabisDaddi View Post

Might anyone have a suggestion of a person (local to Reading) to give the guns a once over for viability?
    I would recommend Enck's Gun Barn, they are close to you.

http://encksgunbarn.com/

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/9711...-gun-barn.html

(Berks County)

Try Kerpers on 625 in Bowmansville. That's close to you.

Another is the Handgunner in Topton, but I think they are really backed up with work.

(Dauphin County)

Terribly sorry to hear of your father's passing.

you seem to have come into possession of a fine collection though.

I am very very very jealous of your double barrel. As a 19th century reenactor, a fine hammered double makes my mouth water.

(Mercer County)

Sorry to hear of your loss. If I lived closer, I would give the the once over for you. On another note, if you are cosidering selling them, why don't you consider getting into the shooting sports? The wife and I just got back from the range. The shooting sports are a lot of fun and you have a nice collection there to start with. You may find that you realy enjoy it. If not, then sell.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Sorry for your loss.

That Walther PPK is UNSAFE. Send it to me ASAP for disposal. I'll do my good deed and pay for shipping too. Just kidding, that's a great gun. I carried its big brother, the PP, for years.

When I was new to guns, I had my father's old target .22 and I asked at the local gun shop about getting it cleaned. I assumed that there had to be some sort of skill required. The dealer sold me a cleaning kit and told me to read the manual.

Honestly, if the bores are clean and shiney, the parts move as they should, and they aren't coated with rust, they are probably safe to shoot

(Warren County)

This is for ALL the families that inherit guns, not just the OP

_ I_ would NOT take my new guns to a gun shop until I knew I really wanted the serial numbers associated with my name and address on BATFE forms and possibly on the PA State Police " sales registry" ( actually an illegal database in use today).

You should educate yourself about efforts to register guns, with the knowledge that gun registration schemes are planned with the end goal being confiscation of those guns.

In Pennsylvania, buying a long gun from an individual is the same as buying a toaster, ( no paperwork required) as long as the purchaser is not forbidden by law from buying.

Handguns require paperwork at a gun store or the sheriff's office.

Handguns may be given from parent to child and vice versa without paperwork. I did not say inherited!

I would stop posting specific information out on the internet until I had a clear understanding that:

A. PA and US Gun laws are absurd, complex, and seem to be designed to make criminals out of citizens.

B. Zealous prosecutors will ruin your life ( see Duke lacrosse team and George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin fiasco). Kathleen Kane is just such a prosecutor.

C. There's a boatload of anti-gunners out there that would love to rat you out to any authority on the pretext that they are "doing it for the children". This is the internet and they read this forum.

D. Liberals and democrats want to take away your guns because they represent a threat to their control of the state.

E. This forum is a tremendous resource for you.

READ THE STICKIES ON GUN LAWS regarding acquisition, transfer and transport of firearms. It should take you several hours at least. Do not rush yourself.

Ask for local help and you will probably get it.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast