Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Going Backpacking in NY State. Defenseless. Well, maybe pepper spray.

I'm going backpacking the New York Catskills. Devil's Path, 26 miles, up and down 4 mountains 3500ft high. There's shelters, but we'll probably setup under tarps, and going to do it in 3 nights. Three of us. I'm pretty psyched.

I always carry when backpacking, even though i like to carry as little weight as possible, a pistol is never left home. Have you ever seen Deliverance? I might have a 24oz sleeping bag, and a 16oz tarp, and a 21 oz cook kit, but 41 oz of cold blue 1911 never bothers me weight-wise.

I really thought about taking a pistol with me anyway. I really did. I mean, if i had to use it, well then, it would be 'worth' the jailtime, wouldn't it? Otherwise, i'd be dead, because i only ever would pull it out if i thought i'd be dead if i didn't. Right?

WTF. Screw New York. According to them, i have no right to defend myself in a life-or-death situation, but PA says it's okay? Such a dichotomy.

Anyway, hypothetically speaking, 4 days, 3 nights in the middle of the woods, no cell phone reception, no civilization for miles, jailtime if you're caught, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

carry on?
    cancel the trip?
    carry pepper spray?
    blow darts?
    learn wing chung kung fu?

who's the criminal again? somebody remind me.

(*all scenarios discussed in this thread are purely hypothetical, and i will not be carrying firearms in NYS.*for the record)

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Going Backpacking in NY State. Defenseless. Well, maybe pepper spray.

The hell with New York. There are plenty of beautiful places to hike and camp in free states. I don't need to waste my time with New York or their shiet laws.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Going Backpacking in NY State. Defenseless. Well, maybe pepper spray.

Yeah I agree with Totez. There are enough free states to do these types of things that you can avoid the communist states entirely. Why would you force yourself to make this type of decision?

You ask whether it's worth it to carry a gun into New York? No, not for a silly camping trip.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

FYI, this trail was picked because it happens to be one of the hardest hiking trails in the East. And it's partly old growth forest. Wasn't really my call to begin with.

The reason i asked, is because I had definitely convinced myself that I was going to carry anyway. Hell, this is America. Read the Constitutution. I'll tell New York State to fuck off, and carry on. But uh, maybe that's not such a good idea.

It's just a shame really. I never really realized how bad our brothers in NYS have it. Outta sight, outta mind, you know?

(Tioga County)

Yep wouldn't bother. I try to encourage everyone to stay on this side of the border. I've stopped shopping and eating out in NY and drive the extra distance to Williamsport instead.

(Lancaster County)

I concur with the above, there's nothing worth your life to be in NYS.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

20oz soda, and fat free bacon always worked for me.
    Other than that, arm yourself to the teeth (legally).
    In all seriousness, tape pictures of nancy pelosi on your friends backs.

Do what you feel is right..

N.Y.S. has some beautiful areas to backpack in...I've never spent time in the catskills, but up until I hit my late 30s I would go backpacking in the high peaks area of the 'dacs every year. Unarmed. Going unarmed didn't really bother me that much, though I would have much preferred to have a firearm on me.

Have a good trip...even though it is not a free state NY has some of unbeatable outdoor opportunities.

(Chester County)

You want to climb? Go to Wellsboro and hit the PA Grand Canyon area. There are plenty of beautiful places in PA to back pack and camp. I wouldn't spend a dime in NYS.

(Washington County)

Unfortunately NY has some amazing hiking in the Catskills and the adirondacks. I will not discourage you from going because it is some of the most beautiful country in the north east. I went to college in ny state and I try to return as little as possible but when I do I'm equipped with a mosin in the truck and pepper spray on my person.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast