Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Moving to PA?

Default Moving to PA?

So I have finally decided that once I have finished this/next semester of school I will be moving to PA to finish up school (moving from good old New York **yes sarcasm**) and i just had a few questions about some of the gun laws seeing as they differ so much.

1) does anyone know how long after i move to PA before i would be able to purchase firearms as a resident, i have a feeling that if i move there and a week later try to buy something that isnt Nanny State approved they might not sell it to me

2) What is the process to obtain a Concealed carry permit, and how much of an issue will it be for me since i was denied my pistol permit here in new york

3) If the proper paperwork is filled out are SBR's, Suppressors, things like that ok in PA

4) and am i correct in my assumption that PA does not have a mag. cap?

thanks for any and all help, i probably have 100 other questions that i want to get a jump on since i only know New York

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Moving to PA?

1. Immediately. However, it will be a lot easier if you have your driver's license, which you can also get immediately. Without it, you probably won't have convincing evidence of residency. So just get it Day 1 then head to the gun store.

2. Fill out the form (I think it is 1 or 2 pages) and take it to the Sheriff of your county. Some issue in 15 minutes, some wait 45 days (longer in Philly), some in between. If you were denied in NY because of a crime that is prohibiting in PA then you will be denied in PA. If not, it won't matter in most cases unless it's one of the few crappy Sheriffs that use it as a denial under the character clause. In which case you can likely appeal.

No, you don't have to wait a certain amount of time to get your License to Carry Firearms, either (I know that is coming next).

3. Yes you can own them.

4. There are no restricted guns or mags in PA.

Only firearms/parts/etc. are preempted under state law, there are a few places with restrictions on BB guns, knives, etc.

(Pike County)

Howdy, and welcome to the forum.

IANAL, nor a legal expert, so I will touch on two of your questions and leave the others for those better versed.

#1. as soon as you have Pa ID or some way to prove you live here. I got my DL, and went straight to a gun store and bought a .380

#4. no mag limit, as long as you can lift the gun with it inserted
    Last edited by gf45acp; September 25th, 2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add: live

thanks a lot,
    i am about 90% sure my denial here in new york was because i was in the issuing office a fair amount of time with questions and i think that mad the guy in charge of it a bit angry, due to the fact that the denial letter gave no reason for denial and that "it would look more favorably if i applied once i finished school and integrated myself into society" meaning i am still in college and plan on going to college in PA just got tired of all the issues with new york,

i also did receive a DWAI back in january 2012 (not dwi) but have taken care of all that and did everything needed and have not even been pulled over for a speeding ticket knock on wood. and i was just hoping that wouldnt be an issue either

(Monroe County)

Even though the laws across the whole state suck. Make sure you clarify "upstate" I have a friend that lives on Lamoka Lake and it's really nice, not like NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Even though the laws across the whole state suck. Make sure you clarify "upstate" I have a friend that lives on Lamoka Lake and it's really nice, not like NYC.

yea sorry about that i always forget to include Upstate when i talk about New York due to the fact that i personally do not associate the city with the rest of the state, and i do agree everything upstate is beautiful and that was/is making the decisions to move out of it so difficult, originally i was planning on moving up near the Adirondacks, but since i live 15min away from the PA boarder and have actually been able to check PA out and get past that NY mentality that no other state is as beautiful as Upstate NY mixed with politics past and recent i have decided PA would be the best move for me

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    So I have finally decided that once I have finished this/next semester of school I will be moving to PA to finish up school (moving from good old New York **yes sarcasm**) and i just had a few questions about some of the gun laws seeing as they differ so much.
    First of all, congratulations! You're making a good decision that won't just impact your gun collection but also your pocket book. Pretty much every state government fee and tax is lower here. I grew up in PA, went to college in Rochester for 4 years, and couldn't wait to move back. Over the last year I have had 3 friends, originally from NY, moved to PA to live with me for jobs, so I'm pretty familiar with this issue.

1) does anyone know how long after i move to PA before i would be able to purchase firearms as a resident, i have a feeling that if i move there and a week later try to buy something that isnt Nanny State approved they might not sell it to me
    How to get your PA DL as a new resident: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._license.shtml

How to title and register your vehicle in PA as a new resident: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._vehicle.shtml

Make sure you don't owe on any fines in NY or NY can block PA from issuing you a license.

You need proof of residency first to get your PA DL: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195us.pdf

My friends were issued temporary PA DLs on the spot, and no gun shop would make a sale with the temporary PA ID. It took two weeks or so for the real ID to be issued and then my friends were able to buy handguns. Granted, it might be legal to sell to someone with a temporary ID or even a NY ID, but good luck finding a gun store owner that will, and Gander Mt, Dunhams, etc have corporate policies against it.

2) What is the process to obtain a Concealed carry permit, and how much of an issue will it be for me since i was denied my pistol permit here in new york
    I would apply in PA and not sweat the NY denial too much, and keep it to yourself. Determine your county sheriff, and apply as described already. There should be something on the sheriff's website to help.

3) If the proper paperwork is filled out are SBR's, Suppressors, things like that ok in PA
    Yes, refer to the NFA firearm section of the forum for details.

4) and am i correct in my assumption that PA does not have a mag. cap?
    PA allows everything, even those Hollywood guns that never need reloading! No pinned stocks, welded muzzle breaks, pistol grip worries, etc. Enjoy your evil features. 922r still applies for US made part count on imported toys.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; September 25th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Blair County)

if you want class 3 guns make sure the sheriff in the county will sign 4 you.

(Centre County)

OP, where are you going to go to school? With that info we can probably give even more clarified answers because of the location.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thanks everyone for all the good info, deff making the process of moving out of state seem a little easier, and i am hoping to start school at Mansfield next fall