Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Help

(Berks County)

Default Holster Help

Can anyone recommended some place to go and actually try different holsters? I may not buy from there but will be able to get the feel for OWB, IWB, Pocket, Leather, etc ...

Right now I carry my Taurus 1911 OWB in a De Santis Speed Scabbard and that seems to be working OK for winter months.

I also used to carry my Kel Tec .380 in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster which was very comfortable during summer and spring.

I just got a Taurus 85 2 1/2" UltraLite and am now looking for a holster to carry that. I'm stuck between OWB, IWB, and Pocket. I've never tired IWB so I have no idea about it. OWB is nice but sometimes my un ticked t -shirt doesn't hide it. And Pocket works but I'm not sure how it will work with a bigger pistol.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Holster Help

I've wondered this too, but i haven't found any place around here that allows you to try the holster, unless cabelas lets people do that, that would be the only place I could think of.

(Beaver County)

Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse will let you try them. You will need to unload and check your firearm at the service counter though. They don't have a problem with people carrying in the store, but if it's coming out of the holster, they want it unloaded.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse will let you try them. You will need to unload and check your firearm at the service counter though. They don't have a problem with people carrying in the store, but if it's coming out of the holster, they want it unloaded.
    Good deal. Do you just goto the service counter right when you get there and say you want to try out a few holsters?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Good deal. Do you just goto the service counter right when you get there and say you want to try out a few holsters?
    Yeah. Best bet is probably to unload and lock the slide back before going into the store.

(Dauphin County)

If you're coming near the Harrisburg area, I can recommend Classic Firearms in Camp Hill (right across the river from Harrisburg). He's typically only open in the evenings from 3-9pm, as it's a small shop; but he has a WIDE holster selection. Anything you want, he'll order for you as well.

Jack is the main guy I talk to, but any of them are great at what they do.

If you need an address/directions, feel free to PM me.

-38SnubFan

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Can anyone recommended some place to go and actually try different holsters? I may not buy from there but will be able to get the feel for OWB, IWB, Pocket, Leather, etc ...

I just got a Taurus 85 2 1/2" UltraLite and am now looking for a holster to carry that. I'm stuck between OWB, IWB, and Pocket. I've never tired IWB so I have no idea about it. OWB is nice but sometimes my un ticked t -shirt doesn't hide it. And Pocket works but I'm not sure how it will work with a bigger pistol.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    If you got the Ultra-Light with the non-steel frame (aluminum or titanium), I'd go with a pocket holster. Unload the revolver, wrap it in a handkerchief and put it in your pocket for a while to get a feel. BTW, are you sure that's a 2½" barrel? I thought all the 85's were 2" barrels.
    I found the steel guns to be a bit heavy for pocket carry, but that's before I got a gun belt from The Beltman.
    My two little Taurus revolvers, both Ultra-Lights, are titanium and aluminum. Pocket carry works quite well with jeans (if not too tight) and docker style trousers. I've been carrying like this for about 10 years now.

If pocket carry works for your 85, try a Mika's holster. This one is deep enough to cover the hammer spur, if your gun has one.

I'm not a big IWB fan, but I used to carry a steel 85 (when I had one) in a Galco IWB holster. A Tee Shirt will cover it, but bending over and standing up might result in the shirt riding up, exposing the gun.

(Lehigh County)

I went to the Army/Navy in Whitehall today and they have more holsters than pistols right now. I didn't have my pistol with me so they let me bring them to the counter and try them with guns from the case. I ended up getting a Passport IWB that will fit my Colt Commander and Glock 32. When my LTCF finally comes in and I CC I will post about it.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lancaster County)

www.crossbreedholsters.com

I can easily conceal a Ruger P94 with their super-tuck holster. I meet with clients on a daily basis so concealment is a concern of mine. I can easily carry mine while still looking professional. Since you are from LanCo, we can arrange a meet and I can show you mine. Granted it is designed specifically for my gun, but you can get a feel for it. Best holster I have had period, use it even when wearing a jacket in the winter months.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
    Active Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Cabelas in the past has let me take one of the firearms in the case to try a holster out. Granted they have to have your firearm there. Or you can buy it, go to your car and try it out. If you don't like it go back in and return it. Kind of a pain though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast