Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Carpal Tunnel surgery

So I'm slotted in for Carpal Tunnel release surgery in 4 weeks (luckily for my off hand side). It'll be regular, not endoscopic or arthroscopic.

Anybody had this? Any time frame for recovery enough to shoot two handed, or, given it's my LH, how long to rack a slide?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel surgery

I've had both hands done, one in the early 90's, one in the early 2000's. I seem to remember having stitches and a heavy bandage for about 10 days. After that, the doc said try things gently, see if it hurts. If it hurts, don't do that for a while.

You'll most likely lose some grip strength but it will come back if you work at it. If I put my hand down flat and pushed (like a push up) I had some pain in the incision for nearly a year, but normal everyday stuff didn't bother me.

Dale

(Lehigh County)

I had my left hand done on June 27 of this year. As far as surgery goes it's no big deal. This was my 21st trip to the OR and was the least painful surgery I ever had. After the first day I didn't bother with the Percocet. I,m right handed but shoot everything but a hand gun left handed. I carry right handed but I can shoot with either hand. I shot right handed both hands right after the bandages and stitches came out no problem but when I switched to left hand it didn't like the recoil at all. After two months it wasn't bad. You may heal faster since your younger and mine was diagnosed at 7.8 sever on the shock test.

I went back to trap and skeet with bandages still on and it wasn't that bad. Right now I would say my strength is about 90% and my index and third finger are still a little numb at the the tips.
    Last edited by 1iarrowking; November 26th, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    Right now I would say my strength is about 90% and my index and third finger are still a little numb at the the tips.
    Thanks for this post; I guess it explains my problem, both hand hurt a little and the index finger on the left is a little numb at the tip, on the right hand the third finger is numb at the tip. I guess I have carpal tunnel and will try to put going under the knife for a long as I can; seems you have same problem after surgery that I have now.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Thanks for this post; I guess it explains my problem, both hand hurt a little and the index finger on the left is a little numb at the tip, on the right hand the third finger is numb at the tip. I guess I have carpal tunnel and will try to put going under the knife for a long as I can; seems you have same problem after surgery that I have now.
    Not really, before the surgery my trigger, index and third finger were numb 24 7. When shooting trap before the surgery I had to rest the muzzle on a rubber pad and hold the stock between my forearm and hip while the rest of the squad shot because it was painful to keep a grip on the pistol grip.

It sounds like yours is not too sever yet. Mine started thirty years ago but I finally had to do something about it.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Delaware County)

dgg9 I guess you'll get to practice that "Israeli Draw"

Good luck with the recovery, I'm have knee surgery Monday.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    dgg9 I guess you'll get to practice that "Israeli Draw"

Good luck with the recovery, I'm have knee surgery Monday.

Well, no, now I need the gun charged even more than usual. I am, however, toying with the idea of moving the spare mag to the right. It would still be awkward to reload that way, but quicker than if it were on the off side.

I'm trying to defer knee surgery myself. Turning 50 was, physically, like stepping off a ledge.

Time to get really good at one hand manipulations.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Well, no, now I need the gun charged even more than usual. I am, however, toying with the idea of moving the spare mag to the right. It would still be awkward to reload that way, but quicker than if it were on the off side.

I'm trying to defer knee surgery myself. Turning 50 was, physically, like stepping off a ledge.
    I heard that. I have a torn meniscus, arthroscopic surgery coming my way, a couple years ago it was my gall bladder, what's next?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I heard that. I have a torn meniscus, arthroscopic surgery coming my way, a couple years ago it was my gall bladder, what's next?
    There's always something next. I have the torn meniscus too, but also have arthritis there, so the doc won't even consider arthroscopic. For me, the only next step would be knee replacement, which I REALLY don't want to do, so I'm doing everything I can to buy time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast