Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default i am having a problem with a landlord please help

if anyone know's anything about this.

I rented a house from oct. 1 2006 to oct. 1 2008. I put down security deposit, first and last month's rent, and made sure when i left that anything that was broken/destroyed was either replaced or fixed.

So my assumption was that he would return my security deposit to me. Well, i was wrong. He hasn't returned ANYTHING to me. Not even my phone call last night.

whats my next move? anyone know who i can contact if he says i don't get my security deposit back? there are no pictures of any of the damage by the way... on EITHER side of this....
    Last edited by Bmarshall91; December 11th, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Default Re: i am having a problem with a landlord please help

Small claims court.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lawrence County)

so do i threaten to take him there hoping he just hooks me up with my money? er what?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Chester County)

You should always take pictures/video of any place you move into or out of. You need to CYA with documentation.

Send the landlord a certified letter asking why the deposit hasn't been returned.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post

I rented a house from oct. 1 2006 to oct. 1 2008. I put down security deposit, first and last month's rent, and made sure when i left that anything that was broken/destroyed was either replaced or fixed with exception of a scratched back screen door which my dog scratched. I had holes in the back yard also that my dog made, so i filled them in with topsoil before i left. The only thing that needed done was to have grass seed put down. I didn't do that cause it was too late in the year, and the seeds would have never took.

So my assumption was that he would have replaced the screen doors plexiglass window, and charged me for that, and a bag of grass seed, then returned the rest of my security deposit to me with a reciept. Well, i was wrong. He hasn't returned ANYTHING to me. Not even my phone call last night.

Anyone know what it would cost to replace that plexiglass window on a storm door?

whats my next move? anyone know who i can contact if he says i don't get my security deposit back? there are no pictures of any of the damage by the way... on EITHER side of this....
    Did you leave on Oct. 1 2008? If you didn't and there isn't anything in writing saying you could stay past your lease time, then you violated your original lease agreement and therefore the land lord does not have to return your security. All amendments to the lease must be in writing for them to be valid and signed by both parties.

If you didn't take pictures before you left, you can very well be screwed. What you wouldn't consider damage he might. And that can be the reason that your security was not returned.

Watch yourself in small claims. If he counters and proves, your up shits creek.

Good luck!

(Clarion County)

Between my adventureous life,and my business,I have at one time rented space all over this country.I have never ever got back a security deposit.
    I've even made improvements many times!!Still,I have never got back a nickel!!I have been thanked many times for the condition these places had been left,not one stinking nickel!!The SOB's!!!

(York County)

Smile Re: i am having a problem with a landlord please help

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post

I rented a house from oct. 1 2006 to oct. 1 2008. I put down security deposit, first and last month's rent, and made sure when i left that anything that was broken/destroyed was either replaced or fixed with exception of a scratched back screen door which my dog scratched. I had holes in the back yard also that my dog made, so i filled them in with topsoil before i left. The only thing that needed done was to have grass seed put down. I didn't do that cause it was too late in the year, and the seeds would have never took.

So my assumption was that he would have replaced the screen doors plexiglass window, and charged me for that, and a bag of grass seed, then returned the rest of my security deposit to me with a reciept. Well, i was wrong. He hasn't returned ANYTHING to me. Not even my phone call last night.

Anyone know what it would cost to replace that plexiglass window on a storm door?

You will more than likely get your money but in the mean time he is probably stalling because he doesn't have it and being that it is the end of the year and the holidays he is probably strapped for cash. I don't know how big of an outfit the landlord runs but a lot of time when they run a small buisness the security deposit it spent on other things and he can afford to bide his time until he gets enough cash to give to you. That doesn't mean give up! I would ride his ass like Zorro until I have cash in hand!! Good Luck.

(Allegheny County)

I have NEVER got my security deposits back either. I just came to the realization that a "security deposit" is nothing more than an application fee.

Don't hold your breath or waste your time trying to recoup this loss, just chock it up to a learning experience.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Somerset County)

call JUDGE JUDY
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

did you complete a pre rental inspection of the place? did you sighn a condition of premises report? if no then you have the upper hand in any litigation. what is the amount in dispute? over 1k? if so the escrow should have been kept in an interest bearing account. if they did not do that then you have that against them also. that being said i find that the best way to handle theses situations is to come to some agreement amongst yourselves. if that is not possible check the philadelphia housing authority web site or a hud site. both will have lots of info regarding landlord tennant conflict resolution on a state specific basis.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast