Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: build sugestion

(Luzerne County)

Question build sugestion

I recently completed my first ar-15 lower. i decided to buy a prebuilt upper. It was a lot of fun and am looking for ideas on another build. Looking for something that is still prety basic and dosent requier a lot of special tools. I would rather spend money on components than on special tools i may only once or twice.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: build sugestion

Most kits come with the upper pre built as well.......

If you want to build an upper, you really should have an action block and a vise.

Lycanspecialtoolsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

my complete upper is on order
    was concerned about go no go guages and such.

I am looking for a new project other than an ar-15
    Looking to do something that needs no welding and a limited amount of special tools.

(Lawrence County)

If you have a new barrel and bolt for the AR, you should be good to go without gauges.

Next step...how about an AK kit?

Lycannospecialtoolsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

You're a day late for that bus. most kits are on the secondary market, now, as distributers and retailers are sold out with little relief in sight.

AK47 types must be welded, drilled and tapped for screws, or riveted. you might use a press in the process to knock out the barrel, or might not.

FNFAL are history, with the occasional loner in the works. you need a receiver wrench and a good vise for assembly.

cetme and HK variants are almost gone, and require a welder, (preferrably GTAW-TIG).

1919 kits and plates are available. you can get a semi converted bolt on the 1919A4 forum as a package, and have to drill and rivet the 80%, or just rivet the 100% sideplate. pricey by the time you get the accessories you need.

subgun kits all require extensive modification and skills you don't have.

oddball kits like bren/zb30/pe57/mg42/etc require more than subguns in the way of work and skill/knowledge.

1911 parts kits might be of interest to you, requiring only some hand fitting of parts if you use a 100% frame.

(Luzerne County)

Question Re: build sugestion

thanks guys.
    I bought a 6.8 upper. I was a little worried about needing guages for that. If I do another ar i think i will do the build myself.

I was considering an ak but have no welding experience or equipment.
    I have heard of ak build parties and would consider that if the option ever came up. I have a milled reciever ak clone. I was just looking at a place selling milled ak recievers for about 100 more than what i paied for wmy comlpet ak several years ago.

The 1911 is an option but i am in the 1% thad dont really like 1911's that much or .45 in general.
    where can i by a 1911 frame?
    how about build details?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepbluePA View Post
    thanks guys.

The 1911 is an option but i am in the 1% thad dont really like 1911's that much or .45 in general.
    where can i by a 1911 frame?
    how about build details?
    gunbroker is a place to start. a google search would bring some up. sarco used to sell them. shotgun news should have some ads.

build details could be had on a discussion forum dedicated to this kind of thing. roderous family homegunsmithing forum and weaponeer.net have some discussions. google for 1911 gunsmithing forums.

You may want to consider building an FAL in .308.
    I built one in 1999 from an STG kit, and the only special tool needed was a receiver wrench, which I borrowed.
    No welding needed anywhere.
    The build was relatively easy, and I'm thinking that I used an Enterprise receiver.
    After the build was ready, I found a place in Dayton, Ohio that does black oxide finish, and for $20.00 they made it black.
    Black oxide is very much like bluing and is easy to prepare for with a military rifle, you just clean off all the old bluing with muratic acid (do it outside in a well vented area, with a garden hose close by), and wire brush parts you want semi-glossy.
    NOTE: don't get the acid down your bore or places you don't want to rust.
    I believe that the latest Shotgun News has dealers listed for parts, etc.
    Run over to Books-A-Million, or Barnes and Noble and sit down with a cup of Java and go through their last edition for free, and you can get an idea if that would even interest you.
    I loved the FAL I built, but I love bolt rifles better, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you know the story.
    Good luck finding what you wish to build.

(Westmoreland County)

Aks are not very complicated but require quite a bit of tooling (compared to an AR). A build party is the way to go if you can find one.

My friend and I built G3s a few years ago but they require some welding skill (which my friend did, as I have none).

I have all the parts to build a FAL right now, but I just need to get a receiver wrench and a better vise. It doesn't seem like it will be too difficult though.