Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default "I'm the Sheriff, I can do what I want"

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

A Message to an Anti-Gun Sheriff

"I'm the Sheriff, I can do what I want"
    by Uli Gebhard

Below is a copy of a speech given at an Orange County board meeting by Uli Gebhard. The real treat here though, is the video of the same proceeding. In the video, you can actually watch and listen to Uli give his speech. Now I'll warn you.. this video is quite long, but I found it well worth my time, for a few reasons. Mostly, because it is good to prepare yourself for what it will be like if you ever have to go before a county board of supervisors and plead your case.

Most importantly... it's a great (while sickening) window into what it's like to watch your God-given right to defend yourself be trampled on.

Note that this video is an ENTIRE meeting, so just use the slider bar along the bottom to start watching at 1 hour and 35 minutes. The CCW segment lasts until about the 2 hour and 35 minute mark... so it's an hour long. I know an hour is a long time to sit and watch a video... but if you are like me, I have a feeling you'll feel like it was an hour well spent.

HERE is where you will find the video...

If you do watch it (and I hope you do), you're going to be very proud of a few of the speakers, and especially the Fourth District Supervisor, Chris Norby.

And below is a text copy of Uli's speech.

My Name is Uli Gebhard, Resident of Anaheim. I'm married, father of 3, Mechanical Engineer, part-time firearms instructor for Suarez International -- and the sole source of income for my family. The funds that I generate with my firearms classes contribute to the tuition for my kids.

I stood here on November 18 of last year and gave a brief statement why I applied for -- and was granted -- a CCW seven years ago. I do not want to repeat myself.

I want to add, however, that in 2006 my right kneecap was broken in an accident - I can move normally, but my mobility and agility is limited - consequently, so is my ability to fight and defend myself.

As mentioned, I'm the father of three kids who are used to me playing with them when I get home. The day that I received the letter with the intend to revoke, I spent a long time in my study making phone calls to other people who are effected. After two hours my five-year old son came into the room and asked what kept me busy this long. I told him that the new Sheriff did not want me to carry my gun anymore. He asked me if I had done something wrong. When I said "No" he asked me "Then - why???"

I am still unable to answer that question.

Mrs. Hutchens has failed to provide a reasonable explanation as to why she sees the need to revoke over 40% of the legitimately issued CCWs. Moreover, her very public approach of doing so makes it easy for criminals to determine who, will no longer be armed in the future if she continues her current course.

She does this knowing that she will not be liable for any consequences. Would she still be willing to proceed if the immunity of her position was lifted?

It's hard to tell my kids that cops are the good guys, when the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county acts in this fashion.

I wonder how a person that was appointed by one-thousandths of a percent of the people of this county can ignore the needs -- and safety of those that she took an oath to protect -- and also ignore the recommendations of the Supervisors that put her into office.

"I'm the Sheriff, I can do what I want" this statement is attributed to former Sheriff Michael Carona. He is on trial awaiting jury decision for bribery - one form of corruption. I wonder if we traded a person corrupted by money for a person corrupted by power.
    Last edited by larrymeyer; January 16th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.