Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default We think: It's risky, but citizens have right to fight back against criminals

A major urban FL newspaper, the Orlando Sentinel sides with self-defense by gun owners in editorial are actvist gun owners shifting the debate in the media?

Still they focus on "illegal" guns as the problem instead of criminals that need to be taken off the streets.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5388774.story
    We think: It's risky, but citizens have right to fight back against criminals

With some criminals able to skate through the judicial system without major consequences, life on the streets is getting more and more dangerous.

For them.

Average Joes and Janes have served notice they don't intend to stand by and let crime spin out of control. In Central Florida, a series of recent incidents is proving that people are taking a proactive -- and perfectly legal -- approach to protecting themselves and others.

In Ocoee, a customer shot and killed a robber at a convenience store. The customer was leaving the store when he noticed someone suspicious. He went back inside when he heard a clerk screaming for help, and used a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol to kill the thief.

At a car wash along Orange Blossom Trail last week, two men using a sawed-off shotgun in a robbery attempt were thwarted by the would-be victim, who used a handgun to shoot and kill one the suspects.

Last month, an elderly Orange County man whipped out a pistol and took a shot at a home invader who was holding a gun to his wife's head. He missed, but the criminal fled.

We are not advocating vigilante justice. There's plenty of that in the movies, from Clint Eastwood's iconic Dirty Harry role to Jodie Foster in the role of a woman pursuing thugs who assaulted her, killed her fiancé and stole her dog in the psychological-drama The Brave One. Leave that visceral action for the cinema. There's no place for that in civilized society.

But if bad people with bad intentions are caught in the act, then citizens may certainly respond with force. People shouldn't live in fear, but they've obviously taken notice of the escalating violence and felt compelled to act.

Can you blame them?

Police are confiscating almost 10 illegal guns a day in this community. Murders set a record in 2008. Violent crime among youths is escalating.

With law enforcement pushed to the brink, more and more people are embracing the constitutional right to bear arms.

But people who are pulling out their guns with the best of intentions aren't trained police officers. There can be lethal consequences to their actions -- and we're not talking about the bad guys. Good people may end up getting hurt.

The best way to fight crime is to leave it in the hands of trained professionals. It's critical that Orlando Police Chief Val Demings, and Jerry Demings, newly-elected sheriff in Orange County, continue to use every weapon in their arsenal -- including some new ones -- to combat crime.

That means flooding high-crime areas with police officers. Becoming more effective in pulling illegal guns off the streets. Putting a greater emphasis on proactive programs to help stop kids from becoming career criminals.

Mr. Demings, in particular, wants to get his new administration going on the recommendations of a panel of homeowners, business and religious leaders and community activists he appointed to his transition team. The panel, headed by former Orange County Chair Linda Chapin, is expected to release its report as early as today.

Regular people, however, are showing their impatience. They're starting to use whatever legal means necessary to take back our streets from criminals.

That may not bode well for the bad guys. But it doesn't get law enforcement off the hook, either.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: We think: It's risky, but citizens have right to fight back against criminals

It's everyone's right to refuse to be a victim. I'm pro choice, I'm not going to make that decision for anyone but myself, and I expect nobody to make my decision for me.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: We think: It's risky, but citizens have right to fight back against criminals

But people who are pulling out their guns with the best of intentions aren't trained police officers. There can be lethal consequences to their actions -- and we're not talking about the bad guys. Good people may end up getting hurt.

The best way to fight crime is to leave it in the hands of trained professionals.
    I don't really see that as being pro-gun but I guess the entire article could have been worse.

(Luzerne County)

trained professionals, Ha has he seen these so called trained professionals in action.

(Beaver County)

Indeed, it's the "trained police officers" who are almost 11 times more likely to injure innocent bystanders!

I find it exciting that a fairly major newspaper has capitulated on the 2A. The tables may be turning, at last!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Venango County)

What, we cannot defend ourselves because we MIGHT hurt another innocent?

Heck, I'm one of the innocents! (well, normally!)

The onus for any damage is on the BG for starting the trouble. Next, on the government for not taking care of the POS as he probably is a repeat offender as well.

Unless extreme negligence on the defender's part can be proven, it is the BG that creates the problems.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lehigh County)

funny, how many stories are there of "trained professionals" firing a literal shit storm of rounds at suspects and failing to hit them?

there are, unfortunately, many "trained professionals" who haven't fired a shot with their service revolver since they graduated from their local academy.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.