Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default PA native - living in MI - coming home, want to buy a stripped AR receiver

Background:
    -I am from Montgomery County, PA. I moved to Michigan to be with my wife and son and to attend a police academy. I plan on coming back to PA to live in the near future, as soon as I am certifiable under MCOLES/MPOETC.
    -I have a valid and current MI driver's license, which replaced my PA driver's license (which I still have, although it is not valid because I have the MI DL)
    -I am a Marine Corps reservist, and have a USMC ID which is currently valid.
    -MI has no registration or restrictions on long guns or receivers.
    -What I want to buy:
    http://augerprecisionfirearms.com/in...product_id=104

Anyways, I am coming home to PA in a couple weeks and was planning on buying a stripped AR receiver from an individual in person. He also seems to be an FFL.
    He states that he cannot sell it to me because I have a MI DL, and not a valid PA DL. Is this true? It will be built into a rifle, so I don't mind it being sold that way (as opposed to being sold as a pistol or "other"). Alternatively, can we bring it to a local gun store for the transaction?
    I really want to buy this, but don't want to deal with shipping and FFL hassles.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by masakarijoe; December 16th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: PA native - living in MI - coming home, want to buy a stripped AR receiver

He's right, I just learned it recently also. Here is the thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...out-state.html

Either pick one up in Michigan before you leave or wait until you have your Pa drivers license.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA native - living in MI - coming home, want to buy a stripped AR receiver

Only rifles and shotguns can be purchased out of one's state of residence.

A bare receiver is not a long gun. It is classified as "other firearm".

It takes a shoulder stock to create a rifle or shotgun, without such it is not a long gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

then can it be sold as a rifle on the 4473 instead? or could he attach a receiver extension or stock to it and sell it that way?
    It would be going with an upper and stock that I already have, as a rifle, so if I could simply transfre my parts over, it would be a rifle
    Last edited by masakarijoe; December 16th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    then can it be sold as a rifle on the 4473 instead? or could he attach a receiver extension or stock to it and sell it that way?
    It would be going with an upper and stock that I already have, as a rifle, so if I could simply transfre my parts over, it would be a rifle

Attaching an RE, with a stock does not make it a rifle until a barrel is attached. You will still be buying a lower that is indicated as OTHER on the 4473, therefore you will have to have it transferred in Michigan. Adding your parts will not change this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Levittown (gun shop in Croydon), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

i have been wanting to post something here, i just never saw anything that i could chime in on.

you guys are right. its either a long gun or it isnt a long gun. the atf dont car how many bells and whistles you attach to it. if it dont fire, it isnt built.

i was looking for an introduce yourself section but i didnt see one.

is there a section to find places to shoot? im having trouble finding outdoor places that allow full auto. i just built a new m16 and it stinks, i cant shoot it because no where allows rifle caliber machine guns.