Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question Saving up for a Sig 320 SubCompact

I have always wondered if the rest of you have the same problems spending money on firearms as i do - as in spending the cash whenever the hell i felt like it. Seems to me, i used to do this a lot freely before i got married. Especially with guns and ammo. Lately, i have had to think and re-think (and post for opinions) before i spent any money AFTER the wife and i come to a certain consensus.

Here is the issue. I got my 2 toys for the year and i am looking for a third, namely a Sig 320 subcompact. They arent cheap and i need at least 500 bucks saved up. I decided to stash away 20 bucks at a time (avoid that coffee run in the afternoons, pack your own lunch, STOP BUYING AMMO) and put it in a location where i can add to it until i hit about 75% of the amount and then and ONLY then go get it. (i am better of justifying spending a $125 bucks to the wife than the $500). Is this a viable option OR is there a better way of doing this? i understand layaway and i don't want to be pressured into getting put on a clock.

This will be my last purchase at least for another couple of years. (Mother in law is going to stay with us for a couple of years).

Any suggestions on where to save up? hoarding cash at home is not an option.
    Last edited by TheTailhound; July 18th, 2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: grammar and shit...

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Saving up for a Sig 320 SubCompact

Can't help with hoarding cash but good gun choice.

(Chester County)

I'm getting married next year, and we're currently house hunting. I feel your pain. I bought a bunch of stuff during this past holiday season. With this upcoming election, I knew it might have been now or never. Good luck!
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

I recently got married as well, and gun and car part consumption have really slowed down. Regardless of how long I go in between hobby related purchases, she can't fathom the costs of them. Sportsman's Guide 4-pay has come in handy a couple of times. It is much easier to explain to her how $125 goes missing, 4 months in a row, as opposed to $500 at once lol.

(York County)

Spare change can....throw in your spare change everyday...slip a 20 in here and there. This is how I bought my G19, it adds up quick.

(Carbon County)

i never spend quarters

if i buy something and say its $2.45 and i have 2 quarters for the .45 i'll use another dollar then i have 2 more quarters !
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Montgomery County)

How savvy are you with the rest of your finances?

Get some new quotes on auto and home insurance. Refinance your home with today's very low mortgage rates? Clip coupons for the grocery store? Sell some older gun gear not being used?

A new firearm can be very motivating!

any chance of a raise coming at work? Maybe you can be that spark if you've been putting in good work lately.

(Wayne County)

Send it to John at 9900 Maple Garden Rd, Sterling Pa. 18463 and I'll take care of it for you for a small fee.

I put all of my funny money in my gun safe.

(Chester County)

Look into a Capital One 360 Savings Account.

They offer interest percentages higher than most backs, (currently .75%) and also, because its an online bank with no actual branches, the money is not instantly accessible (3-day transfers). This is best for those (like myself) that see something they MUST have every time they walk into a store.

I've used this technique to save for a house, engagement ring, and personal "emergency" savings. It works, especially when you set up an automatic withdrawal.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Can't help with hoarding cash but good gun choice.
    Thanks, i can shoot that and the sub-compact a lot better than a Glock or M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I'm getting married next year, and we're currently house hunting. I feel your pain. I bought a bunch of stuff during this past holiday season. With this upcoming election, I knew it might have been now or never. Good luck!
    Thanks dude! Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!!

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    I recently got married as well, and gun and car part consumption have really slowed down. Regardless of how long I go in between hobby related purchases, she can't fathom the costs of them. Sportsman's Guide 4-pay has come in handy a couple of times. It is much easier to explain to her how $125 goes missing, 4 months in a row, as opposed to $500 at once lol.
    You seem to have the right formula. Breaking it down and spreading the love - for 6 months than 4 is the ticket i think. $100 and less she does not mind - hell, her waxing-mani-pedis are a $130 bucks a month.....

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    Spare change can....throw in your spare change everyday...slip a 20 in here and there. This is how I bought my G19, it adds up quick.
    We got one of those for laundry quarters and IT WORKS!! Old school but functional..

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post

i never spend quarters

if i buy something and say its $2.45 and i have 2 quarters for the .45 i'll use another dollar then i have 2 more quarters !
    That is way too much math for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    How savvy are you with the rest of your finances?

Get some new quotes on auto and home insurance. Refinance your home with today's very low mortgage rates? Clip coupons for the grocery store? Sell some older gun gear not being used?

A new firearm can be very motivating!

any chance of a raise coming at work? Maybe you can be that spark if you've been putting in good work lately.
    I rent. Car payments are under control (we double down on those on alternate months). This is more of a feeding that i need this in my life itch as opposed to a it is a must have for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Send it to John at 9900 Maple Garden Rd, Sterling Pa. 18463 and I'll take care of it for you for a small fee.

I put all of my funny money in my gun safe.
    Nice! Whose fund is this again??

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    Look into a Capital One 360 Savings Account.

They offer interest percentages higher than most backs, (currently .75%) and also, because its an online bank with no actual branches, the money is not instantly accessible (3-day transfers). This is best for those (like myself) that see something they MUST have every time they walk into a store.

I've used this technique to save for a house, engagement ring, and personal "emergency" savings. It works, especially when you set up an automatic withdrawal.
    BOOM!
    That could work! I could have it as a perpetual account that i can funnel some money into. Speaking of impulse buys, that is how i ended up with my Sig 226....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast