Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Springfield EMP Question

I bought a Springfield EMP 9mm with a 4" barrel and have shot about 500 rounds with no real issues. Today something really strange happened. I was shooting with a group and one of the others in the group wanted to see the gun. I dropped the mag, then racked the slide and ejected the live round. Two others were standing by me and observed exactly what I did. Before locking the slide back manually to hand the gun to my friend, I pointed it downrange and pulled the trigger and the gun discharged. We are all pretty amazed at how that could happen. If I dropped the mag and ejected the live round how could another live round remain in the gun? I thought maybe I screwed up but the witnesses confirmed that I did it right. Now before I would have handed the gun over I would have locked the slide back anyway so it wasn't so much a safety issue as it is a puzzle of how it could happen. The live shell was laying right by my feet.

I have heard of it happening to a friend on his Glock but I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and if so, how could it happen? Comments appreciated.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Springfield EMP Question

Did you look into the chamber before you handed the weapon over to your friend? No, shame on you. Glad you had the smarts to point the weapon down range.

(Montgomery County)

Not having been there it is hard to know what you did.
    The opinion of your witness may be worthless depending on his experience level.
    You don't sound trained either.
    The malfunction of the weapon is irrelevant to some extent.
    If basic proper weapon handling is practiced this sort of event is impossible.
    When rendering the weapon safe you should be following a set procedure that you never deviate from.

Treat every weapon as though it is loaded at all times, even when you “know” it is unloaded.
    Keep your weapon pointed down range at all times.
    Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

When clearing the weapon keep it pointed down range at all times.
    Keep your finger off the trigger, and lock your trigger finger down above the trigger well.
    Remove the magazine from the weapon.
    Fully rack the slide 3 times.
    Rack the slide a fourth time and lock it back in the open position.
    Visually check the breach to verify that a round is not seated in the chamber.

If you follow this procedure every time you render the weapon safe you will never repeat the negligent discharge you described.
    There are plenty of reputable training videos online.
    It would be better if you paid for a training session and learned basic weapon safety procedures.

Be careful.
    Be safe.
    Please get some training.

I know it sounds harsh, but dude, your going to get someone killed if you continue to handle a weapon like that.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like you racked first and then dropped the magazine. Ejecting a live round and then loading another right after.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Sounds like you racked first and then dropped the magazine. Ejecting a live round and then loading another right after.
    This. Your brain juxtaposed the events post BOOM and sphincter clench.

(Lackawanna County)

I ALWAYS rack the slide 3 or 4 times when clearing, If rounds keep coming out, either it's a miracle and I'll keep cranking as long as whatever deity involved sees fit to keep them coming, or I know I fucked up somewhere.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Did you look into the chamber before you handed the weapon over to your friend? No, shame on you. Glad you had the smarts to point the weapon down range.
    Never handed the gun to my friend, I always lock it back before handing any pistol to anyone. Read last comment to see what happened.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Not having been there it is hard to know what you did.
    The opinion of your witness may be worthless depending on his experience level.
    You don't sound trained either.
    The malfunction of the weapon is irrelevant to some extent.
    If basic proper weapon handling is practiced this sort of event is impossible.
    When rendering the weapon safe you should be following a set procedure that you never deviate from.

Treat every weapon as though it is loaded at all times, even when you “know” it is unloaded.
    Keep your weapon pointed down range at all times.
    Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

When clearing the weapon keep it pointed down range at all times.
    Keep your finger off the trigger, and lock your trigger finger down above the trigger well.
    Remove the magazine from the weapon.
    Fully rack the slide 3 times.
    Rack the slide a fourth time and lock it back in the open position.
    Visually check the breach to verify that a round is not seated in the chamber.

If you follow this procedure every time you render the weapon safe you will never repeat the negligent discharge you described.
    There are plenty of reputable training videos online.
    It would be better if you paid for a training session and learned basic weapon safety procedures.

Be careful.
    Be safe.
    Please get some training.

I know it sounds harsh, but dude, your going to get someone killed if you continue to handle a weapon like that.
    You either didn't read my post or are clueless. I dropped the mag, racked the slide, discharging a live round, then pointed the gun downrange and depressed the trigger, discharging a live round. Tell me what is dangerous about pointing a gun downrange at a target and depressing the trigger. If you want to learn something, I explain what happened in the last post, or you can go on being a self serving idiot accusing folks of things but not having a good understanding of pistol safety your self - I know I sound harsh but you had no clue what you were talking about - learn something about gun safety dude.

(Allegheny County)

Good practice. I never hand the gun to anyone without locking the slide back. If you reread my post I never gave the gun away, pointed it in an unsafe direction and didn't put my finger on the trigger until it was pointed at a target downrange.

(Allegheny County)

So here is what caused the gun to discharge a live round subsequent to having dropped the mag and racking a live round out of the chamber.

I dropped the magazine first, it fell onto the ground.

I racked the slide, and a live round also fell to the ground.

The magazine was full, and the top round had come lose from the magazine and stayed in the gun. When I racked the slide it came out, leaving the live chambered round in the chamber. When I pointed the gun down range and puled the trigger, it fired.

Now, I did this as a demonstration of what can and has happened. This was a faulty magazine and I disposed of it. Also, I hand the gun to anyone without first locking the slide back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast