Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default DNC Charging McCain with violating McCain-Feingold

Gotta love this one, from Sebastian's site Snowflakes in Hell:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2008...just-desserts/
    The Democratic National Committee is charging McCain with violating McCain-Feingold.

McCain spokesman Brian Rogers responded that “Howard Dean’s hypocrisy is breathtaking given that in 2003 he withdrew from the matching funds system in exactly the same way that John McCain is doing today.”

Dean and the DNC sought to emphasize that when Dean was running for president, he never hinged his loan on a promise of public financing.

You made this bed Johnny boy, and now you can sleep in it.

Hat tip to Of Arms and the Law
    Corresponding article from TheHill.com:
    http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/dnc...008-02-24.html

DNC to file FEC complaint against McCain
    By Sam Youngman
    Posted: 02/24/08 03:26 PM [ET]

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) will file a complaint against Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) Monday, charging that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee is breaking the law by trying to get out of a public financing agreement.

In a Sunday afternoon conference call with reporters, DNC chairman Howard Dean said McCain's attempt to withdraw from a loan agreement that hinged on an acceptance of public financing speaks directly to McCain's "integrity."

"This is a classic example of someone who talks one way and does another when it benefits him," Dean said.

On the call, Dean repeatedly criticized McCain for allegedly violating a law he helped reform with the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act of 2002 -- generally referred to as McCain-Feingold.

"They might as well just call it the Feingold law," Dean said.

The DNC has made clear in recent days it plans to paint the prohibitive Republican nominee as a hypocrite, someone who decries Washington politics while enjoying the support and aid of lobbyists.

McCain spokesman Brian Rogers responded that “Howard Dean’s hypocrisy is breathtaking given that in 2003 he withdrew from the matching funds system in exactly the same way that John McCain is doing today.”

Dean and the DNC sought to emphasize that when Dean was running for president, he never hinged his loan on a promise of public financing.

One McCain aide recently told The Hill that the Democratic Party is afraid of McCain because he is its "worst nightmare."

Republican National Committee spokesman Alex Conant said “Dean’s misguided attacks in no way excuse Obama’s vacillations on his pledge to the American people.”
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: DNC Charging McCain with violating McCain-Feingold

The funniest part to me is that Dean did the exact same thing in 2004 but according to him then it was legal and now it isn't. What a freaking putz. Like we can't tell that it is a politically motivated attack?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

What isn't politically motived, especially in an election year? I just love the idea that the guy is being charged with a violation of the law named after him. I mean, what ever happened to leading by example? By pushing such a law, it implicitly required him to be above reproach on this issue, and he's failing miserably.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Actually, he hasn't violated that law in the least. He is simply opting to not accept government matching funds. I have more respect for him for that than I do for his work on McCain/Feingold. The others want some of our tax money so that they can try to run our lives.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Actually, he hasn't violated that law in the least. He is simply opting to not accept government matching funds. I have more respect for him for that than I do for his work on McCain/Feingold. The others want some of our tax money so that they can try to run our lives.
    Maybe my understanding of this issue is incorrect, but I thought a campaigner (as per his law) couldn't hinge financing on the promise of government funds, which he did, and now is trying to back off by telling the bank to remove that condition from the terms of the loan.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I think Dean might have a point here. Either way, it's definitely politically motivated, but John McCain is the one that made the club the Democrats are now beating him with.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Maybe my understanding of this issue is incorrect, but I thought a campaigner (as per his law) couldn't hinge financing on the promise of government funds, which he did, and now is trying to back off by telling the bank to remove that condition from the terms of the loan.
    We'll find out one way or the other but my understanding is that if you aren't taking governement funds(read that as public funds) then you are not subject to the rules as Dean is twisting them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    We'll find out one way or the other but my understanding is that if you aren't taking governement funds(read that as public funds) then you are not subject to the rules as Dean is twisting them.
    Fair enough, as I said my understanding of the situation could be incorrect.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas