Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Any other NRA LEO Instructors here?

I'm looking for info about teaching/instructing non-LEO's. After reading today's "Times Leader" about the lack of training classes, I'm thinking of looking into the non-LEO side of things.

During my NRA LEO courses, I seem to remember them saying how our LEO certs, could be transfered into non-LEO certs. I emailed the NRA but probably won't hear from them until tomorrow.

There doesn't seem to be many (if any) instructors in the Luzerne County area.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Any other NRA LEO Instructors here?

LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS I KNOW A FEW PEOPLE WHO MAY BE INTEREST IN A COURSE

(Allegheny County)

I'm also an NRA LEO instructor, the process isn't bad, NRA will send you the "test" to take, send it in and they send you a cert. All you need is a fat wallet to keep sending them the "fees" for any take home test.
    No signature required.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the info. I'm still debating the issue. I know there is a big need for some kind of instruction, even the basics, here in Luzerne County.

I have access to a place to teach the classroom portion, however the pain is getting to a range. The only range in Luzerne County I would consider using is the one on SGL #206, and that's a bit of a drive from the valley.

I know Luzerne County Community College is putting in a LEO firing range, but thats not until 2009. I don't know if every LEO will have access to it, or if it is only for training conducted by the college.

Any way, I'll keep looking.

(Adams County)

A bit off topic, but do you know if a non-LEO can get the LEO instructor cert?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Luzerne County)

ELIGIBILITY

Certain eligibility requirements must be met prior to attending any NRA law enforcement firearm instructor development school. They are:

1. You must be a PUBLIC or PRIVATE law enforcement officer with a minimum of 3 years experience.

A PUBLIC law enforcement officer is defined as, but not limited to:
    Any sworn law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county or municipal agency or military police unit.

A PRIVATE law enforcement officer is defined as, but not limited to:
    Any person working for a private security company, privatized corrections, nuclear security company or private investigations company AND is authorized to be armed in conjunction with the duties of their job.
    2. A RETIRED law enforcement officer who HAD arrest powers, has NO criminal convictions, and may lawfully possess a firearm with a minimum of 3 years experience.

3. A PREVIOUSLY EMPLOYED law enforcement officer who HAD arrest powers, has remained active in law enforcement training, has NO criminal convictions, and may lawfully possess a firearm with a minimum of 3 years experience.

4. Certain individuals who do not meet the above criteria may still qualify to attend and their applications will be looked at and evaluated for eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

(Adams County)

Ok. So I guess I'm out until the department decides to go the private Police route.

thanks
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President