Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Springfield M1A maintenance

I am considering getting a Springfield M1A. When I was reading the online manual maintenance seems almost to simple. Other than cleaning the bore and chamber and the gas system they suggest that no other routine field stripping is needed. This seems almost to easy. I would be interested in finding out if this is all that is needed to keep it working.

Thanks for any help.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Springfield M1A maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I am considering getting a Springfield M1A. When I was reading the online manual maintenance seems almost to simple. Other than cleaning the bore and chamber and the gas system they suggest that no other routine field stripping is needed. This seems almost to easy. I would be interested in finding out if this is all that is needed to keep it working.

Thanks for any help.

Clean the bore from the muzzle with the rifle upside-down (sights pointing down, trigger guard up) resting horizontally in a rifle rest. That prevents solvent from entering the gas port and pooling in the gas cylinder or on the piston. USE a cleaning rod guide and a one-piece cleaning rod to prevent damage to the muzzle crown. Use the bore solvent of your choice.

Remove the gas plug and gas piston, and use a "P" diameter letter drill bit spun by your fingers to clean carbon buildup out of the head end of the piston. You should clean the gas system every 300-500 rds depending on the ammo you shoot. IF you shoot any Chinese 308 or any other potentially corrosive ammo, clean the bore and gas system after every shooting session using that ammo. Clean the outside of the gas piston with a WHITE scotchbrite pad and powder solvent. I use G96 Gun Treatment and it works well. Clean the inside of the gas cylinder with a 45 cal brush and powder solvent, and dry with clean patches. DO NOT OIL THE GAS SYSTEM.

Grease the M14 operating rod and bolt for proper functionality. Some owners oil the rifle, but it was designed to be greased and operates the best if greased. Apply Lubriplate or Tetra Grease or equivalent temperature-stable grease to the operating rod in the are of the operating rod guide, the underside of the barrel, the tab, and the cam slot for the right bolt lug/roller. Grease the left bolt lug way in the receiver, and the right bolt locking recess. Grease the roller on the right bolt lug. There are small cylindrical plastic "tools" for this, you fill them with grease and force the open end over the roller. The open end fits the roller tightly, like a piston in a cylinder. Grease in the tool is forced into the gap between the roller and the bolt lug stud. You can also use an empty cartridge case that fits the bolt roller. Also grease the rear sight elevation pinion and the elevation and windage knob "stop pads" that mate against the rear sight base and create the "clicks." Lightly oil the op rod spring and op rod spring guide.

On the trigger group, put a drop of oil on the trigger and hammer pins, and lightly grease the hollow in the top surface of the hammer.

Check to see that the flash hider is tight.

If you plan on shooting competitively, the stock should be bedded to the rifle and trigger group and a bedded rifle requires some additional care.

HTH,

Noah

(Lebanon County)

yeap. it's a cake walk.
    i tend to aviod corrosive ammo, as a result i can go lite on the cleaning. but i make sure it's always well lubed.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Philadelphia County)

Outstanding! It all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time with such a detailed response.

ace

one of the most maintenance-free semi-autos you can own. it almost seems to clean itself - routine cleaning is usually 1/2 hour to 45 min, tops.

stay away from corrosive ammo, remove the stock and detail clean sparingly.

I just bought a Springfield Standard M1A and was wondering the same thing about the care and feeding of my new animal. I just ordered, off Amazon.com, a book written by Scott Duff that tells all about it and how to accurize it. Can't wait until Friday, when my 3-day wait is over, and I can pick it up.
    Why do we keep re-electing traitors to "OUR" U.S. Constitution as well as the Bill of Rghts. So many have died, since 1776, so we can preserve it's sacred intent! It does "NOT" need to be redefined by Federal Judges in order to meet special interest political goals!

(Delaware County)

the maintenance is simple and easy. just a simple chamber and bore cleaning, gas system is easy to get into. nothing to worry about. get one!

Also: bore snake is your friend