Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Need a new Gas Cylinder for a Yugo SKS...

Well i got kind of a fair condition SKS, bore was pretty pitted when i first got it but its cleaning up actually pretty nice. But the gas system was a mess and since cleaning out all the crap the gas cylinder no longer cycles the action.

I confirmed it is the cylinder by swaping with a "new" cylinder off of another SKS i have.

Anyone know where i can get a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Need a new Gas Cylinder for a Yugo SKS...

You might want to check here.

Looks like they have some depending on your model.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=229
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

(Centre County)

Thanks for the links. I'm gonna keep looking for one that lets me keep the wood upper guard rather than a synthetic one.

Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Washington County)

You may just need a replaement gas valve. there are a few guys making stainless ones that work pretty well. don't have the link handy, but if you can't find them, pm me and i'll see what i can find.

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    You may just need a replaement gas valve. there are a few guys making stainless ones that work pretty well. don't have the link handy, but if you can't find them, pm me and i'll see what i can find.

vince
    Well you are right about the gas valve, the condition of the original one was pretty bad. But its already been replaced. I just need the gas cylinder, i swapped one and the rifle worked fine. But given the condition of the rifle, i might just get a synthetic stock and a gas cylinder to make it my all-weather range beater

(Blair County)

It sounds like a vlave/tube seal issue. Try bending a small paperclip into a washer to go around the outside of the gas valve where the tube contacts it. This wont't fix the problem for long, but it will tell you if the problem is the seal and not the tube. I continued to experience problems after replacing my valve, but making a simple washer (I re-shaped a copper washer) tightened up the seal and it has worked fine ever since.

-Joe-
    Magnum en parvo!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    It sounds like a vlave/tube seal issue. Try bending a small paperclip into a washer to go around the outside of the gas valve where the tube contacts it. This wont't fix the problem for long, but it will tell you if the problem is the seal and not the tube. I continued to experience problems after replacing my valve, but making a simple washer (I re-shaped a copper washer) tightened up the seal and it has worked fine ever since.

-Joe-
    I'll give that a try thanks. I'd like to mention that the gas system of this rifle was severely pitted when i recieved it. Bore is pitted but quite shootable. This problem started after i made the mistake of cleaning all the powder fowling out of the cylinder. The Cylinder to Piston tolerance is now too loose. Where as on my other SKS's they're much tighter, but the piston is fine as compared to the other rifles systems.

(Blair County)

I'd like to mention that the gas system of this rifle was severely pitted when i recieved it. Bore is pitted but quite shootable.
    My bore is excellent, but the gas tube/piston/valve were quite pitted. As I said, I found that making a "gasket" to help seal the tube to the valve fixed the problem. This might not solve your problem, but if it does it's a lot cheaper than a new gas tube/handgaurd.

-Joe-
    Magnum en parvo!

Harford County (Orig Harrisburg, PA), Maryland

Get a stainless steel one from CNC warrior. it will work and not rust. I have personally dealt with them and cannot reccomend them enough.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/s...sp?idProduct=1

There is a link to the product. I don't believe they charge anything to ship either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast