Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Air guns illegal in Philly?

So I was thinking of ordering the leg lamp from A Christmas Story and so I also decided to look at their incredibly overpriced Red Ryder BB gun:

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/Stor...=35&position=1

and it said this--

State statutes and/or local ordinances prohibit the sale and possession of bb guns/air guns in some areas. We are unable to ship bb guns/air guns into New Jersey; Chicago, IL; Morton Grove, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Washington, DC; Buffalo, NY; New York City and its boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island City, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. The NYC zip codes affected are: 100xx-104xx, 110xx, 112xx-114xx, 116xx. Orders with shipping addresses with in these areas will not be processed.
    Is this right? It's news to me.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Air guns illegal in Philly?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    So I was thinking of ordering the leg lamp from A Christmas Story and so I also decided to look at their incredibly overpriced Red Ryder BB gun:

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/Stor...=35&position=1

and it said this--

Is this right? It's news to me.
    I believe it's true. Federal law bizarrely pre-empts banning the sale of air guns, but not their possession.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15...1----000-.html

(Bucks County)

If this same statement purports to apply to NJ as well, that would seem to contradict the fact that there are hundreds of airsoft and paintball guns being sold in stores all over the state.

(Montgomery County)

If you don't have another option, PM me. I'll give you my address. I never mind a run to South Philly.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Wow that is incredibly overpriced!!! but of course its a collectors item probably.

(Luzerne County)

They are prohibited.

Section 10-180, subsection 3 of the Philadelphia Code

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    They are prohibited.

Section 10-180, subsection 3 of the Philadelphia Code
    Actually... it's:

The Philadelphia Code and Charter §10-810. Weapons and Dangerous Devices.

(1) Discharging Firearms.[158] No person shall fire or discharge recklessly and without reasonable cause any rifle, gun, pistol, or other firearm.

(2) Water Pistols, Electric Canes, and Miniature Cannon.[159]

(a) No one shall sell or offer for sale water pistols, electric canes, miniature cannon, or similar articles.[160]

(b) No one shall use water pistols, electric canes, miniature cannon or similar articles in any street or public place.

(3) Spring Guns, Air Guns and Bows and Arrows.
    [161]

(a) No person shall sell, offer for sale at retail, or use, or possess with intent to use, any air gun, spring gun, or any implement not a firearm which forcefully impels a pellet of any kind.

(b) No person shall sell, or offer for sale, at retail, any bow and arrow, to any person under the age of twenty-one (21) years unless the seller first obtains written evidence of parental consent to the proposed purchase by the minor.[162]

(4) Switchblade Knives.[163] No person shall sell, offer for sale or carry any knife with a blade which is released by a spring mechanism including knives known as "switchblades."

(5) Incendiary Paper. No person shall manufacture, sell, offer for sale, carry or store any incendiary paper that has been chemically treated to vanish at the touch of a flame, including paper known as "flash paper."[164]

(6) Penalties. Whoever violates any provision of this Section or Section 10-821 shall, in addition to other penalties provided, forfeit the weapon, contraband, or dangerous device giving rise to the violation of such section.[165]

(7) Confiscation. Police officers shall seize and deliver into departmental custody any air gun, air pistol, spring gun, switch blade knife, incendiary paper, contraband weapons, accessories and/or ammunition or other implement which shall be used, discharged, possessed, offered for sale or carried in violation of Section 10-810 or Section 10-821.[166]

(Bucks County)

Wow, you can't sell squirt guns, but bows and arrows are a-okay.

This has to be the stupidest statute I've ever seen, but I'm glad I know about it so I'll avoid driving through Philly on the way to playing paintball.

(Philadelphia County)

AFAIK they're illegal in Philly, but OK in the rest of the state. I remember a few years ago a friend of mine with a Co2 pistol was buying the Co2 tubes from a bike shop in Philly until they started requiring some kind of proof you were buying them for use with a bike.

Although thinking about it I'm almost sure you can buy .177cal BBs at the Wal-Mart in Philly...
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Whoops! Typo

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast