Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: USPS PS-1508

(Allegheny County)

Arrow USPS PS-1508

My uncle in North Carolina is trying to ship me two shotguns via USPS. The postal worker said he had to fill out a form PS 1508. This all sounds right, judging by the sticky on shipping; however, how in the world do you fill out a PS 1508 if you're not a FFL?

I keep reading, trying to make sense out of it, but it sounds like it's meant for shipping between FFL's, not gun-owners. For example, it asks for a "Firm Name" on the form - I'm guessing it's referring to a business/FFL name.

Since my uncle is now semi-paralyzed with cancer in a hospital, I'm trying to do the footwork for him... any help is greatly appreciated.
    "Always have a reason for living, and stand ready to die for it."

Default Re: USPS PS-1508

Quote Originally Posted by TheFighter88 View Post
    My uncle in North Carolina is trying to ship me two shotguns via USPS. The postal worker said he had to fill out a form PS 1508. This all sounds right, judging by the sticky on shipping; however, how in the world do you fill out a PS 1508 if you're not a FFL?

I keep reading, trying to make sense out of it, but it sounds like it's meant for shipping between FFL's, not gun-owners. For example, it asks for a "Firm Name" on the form - I'm guessing it's referring to a business/FFL name.

Since my uncle is now semi-paralyzed with cancer in a hospital, I'm trying to do the footwork for him... any help is greatly appreciated.
    Guns, all guns, have to be shipped to an FFL. You would have to contact the FFL on the other end to see if they will accept shipments from a non-FFL, though.

I'm not positive, but you may have to ship from FFL to FFL if you're shipping interstate. Don't quote me on that, IANAL, but it seems like it'd be the safer, easier thing to do. The recipient must be (or have) an FFL, though.

(Centre County)

Your Uncle cannot ship the guns directly to you. He can however ship them to your local FFL, if said FFL will receive shipments from non-FFL's.

Non-FFL's can ship guns to any FFL in the US. Long guns can go by USPS, handguns must go by commercial carrier (FedEx, UPS).

On the 1508, where it says Firm Name, that would be your uncles name.

Some FFL's will not accept shipments from Non-FFL's so find one that will (if you deal with one consistently, and you explain the circumstances, they will probably accommodate you).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

If the guns belong to TheFighter88, then his uncle, brother, cousin, best friend or pet dog can ship them to him. The guns are his and who ships them from his vacation home (or whatever) in NC doesn't matter.

It was my understanding that they had to be shipped via UPS, FEDEX or other commercial carrier, but I'm having a hard time remembering. (ETA: Xringshooter is right, long guns can go USPS, handguns go commercial carrier.)

If however the guns belong to the OPs uncle (or brother, cousin, best friend or pet dog) then they do indeed need to be shipped TO an FFL of TheFighter88's choice. The guns do not have to be shipped from an FFL to another FFL IF the receiving FFL will accept shipments from non-FFL holder.

I'm 99% sure I'm right, however I'm sure there will be people who can quote chapter and verse to make sure you get the correct information.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm sorry I didn't state it in the OP (I meant to), but I already have a FFL on this end lined up. The shotguns will ship from my uncle to a local FFL. This is also a transfer of ownership; I do not own the shotguns as of yet. It's great to get your verification on this one... I really don't want a "record" for something as stupid as a botched interstate transfer of two shotguns.

So, I'm going to have him put in the normal "City, State, and Zip Code" info for Asheville, NC (the sending address), "Date" that he plans to ship it, "Addresses on Parcels" being my local FFL (the receiving address), "Firm Name" being his name printed, "By (Signature and Title)" being his name signed, and leave the rest blank.

I guess I'll get to helping him fill that PS 1508 out then. Thanks Xringshooter for the help with the Firm Name, and thank everyone for setting my mind a bit more at ease. I think it all makes sense now, but we'll see how the Asheville, NC Post Office plays this one out... will let you know how it goes...
    Last edited by TheFighter88; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Grammar

(Centre County)

It's in the USPS regs that long guns can be shipped through the mail. If anyone gives the shipper a hard time, tell them to get the supervisor or postmaster of that post office. They should know the regs and can correct the clerk. If the postmaster says no, then they will have to be shipped UPS or FedEx and if it were me I'd fire off a letter of complaint about the postmaster not following the USPS regs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

It went without a hitch. I was fortunate enough to find someone who was willing to look up the law on his own, and take care of it all.

It's great to run into people willing to do something right.

Thanks for the help guys.