Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Two new pistols at the range

Hi everyone,
    Well, today my wife and I went to shoot our two latest aquistions.
    The Browning Buck Mark .22 and the Ruger LCR .38
    I'll start with the .22 since I loved it!
    An excellent pistol, so well made, so much fun to shoot.
    The Browning has pretty good weight to it. Combined with the .22 caliber rounds, the gun barely exhibited any recoil at all. In some cases, the sights didnt even come off the target at 21' away. The test case included with the gun was dated 2002. This gun is seven years old and from the condition, it's probably seen more rounds through it today than it's lifetime.
    It's remarkable how clean and smooth the pistol is. Blowback was smooth, trigger was light, probably less than my XD9.
    We shot about 650 rounds of Federal through it without a single misfeed or ejection failure. We shot it out to about 50' with groups less than 4 inches just using the gun sights. Very accurate, ate the ammo with no issue and just a very nice, very fun gun. My wife was thankful we had it or would have had a lousy time at the range.. which brings me to the Ruger.
    Well, it's definitly a capable firearm but it's light as a feather and you felt everything. The recoil physically hurts your hand before empting the barrel.
    We only got through about 50 rounds before we call it a day with it. It's a DAO model and the trigger pull has GOT to exceed 10lbs. I'm sure that lent to the very loose groups I was getting from 20' out. It's so small framed that finding a place to wrap your hands around it is challanging enough. I suggested to my wife to fire a couple hundred more rounds through it before she decides but as of now, she's leaning towards switching to a different model. It's almost like too little gun for the ammo. Also, the sights are somewhat unconfortable. If you're used to the clear sight pictures you get from semi auto's you probably won't be conforatble with the LCR sights. On the plus side, it's a nice conceal weapon. You can comfortably put it your front pocket and it's certainly got the stopping power to make it worth carring. Word of advice, shoot this thing before buying it. It's a real hand breaker. We'll take it back a few more times this week just to see if she can get used to it, otherwise, we're gonna trade it out.
    Last edited by FMJ; July 18th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

Default Re: Two new pistols at the range

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Hi everyone,
    ... which brings me to the Ruger.
    Well, it's definitly a capable firearm but it's light as a feather and you felt everything. The recoil physically hurts your hand before empting the barrel.
    We only got through about 50 rounds before we call it a day with it. It's a DAO model and the trigger pull has GOT to exceed 10lbs. I'm sure that lent to the very loose groups I was getting from 20' out. It's so small framed that finding a place to wrap your hands around it is challanging enough. I suggested to my wife to fire a couple hundred more rounds through it before she decides but as of now, she's leaning towards switching to a different model. It's almost like too little gun for the ammo. Also, the sights are somewhat unconfortable. If you're used to the clear sight pictures you get from semi auto's you probably won't be conforatble with the LCR sights. On the plus side, it's a nice conceal weapon. You can comfortably put it your front pocket and it's certainly got the stopping power to make it worth carring. Word of advice, shoot this thing before buying it. It's a real hand breaker. We'll take it back a few more times this week just to see if she can get used to it, otherwise, we're gonna trade it out.
    Since the LCR is specifically manufactured as a concealed carry gun, sounds like it fits the bill.
    It sounds like you and your wife don't have an exceptional amount of experience with snubby .38's. Your description of the LCR is pretty typical of any snubby. That stiff trigger pull is your "safety" for these small guns.
    I've shot a number of snubby .38's including Taurus (my personal favorite), Colt Chief's Special (my Father's gun) and one or two S&W's. Your description of the LCR would fit any of them.
    As far as the sights...well, they are for up close and personal defense, not target shooting. Trying moving your target to within 10 feet and see how you and your wife do. In a self defense situation, you're not going to have time to use the sights anyway.
    So, I'd suggest you give that little .38 LCR some time. A trade now would result in a pretty substantial loss and you might not find anything better.

Good post overall though...and your review of the Buckmark was quite illuminating.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; July 18th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

I LOVE my Buckmark...I've had it for quite a few years and have put many thousands of rounds through it. The only "issue" with the gun is that I found that the allen-head screws holding the sight bridge on occasionally come loose...especially the rear one. If it gets too loose the gun will start jamming. Some light duty (ie...removable) loctite will remedy the problem. If you shoot the gun a lot (and it sounds like you will), check the screws often.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Since the LCR is specifically manufactured as a concealed carry gun, sounds like it fits the bill.
    It sounds like you and your wife don't have an exceptional amount of experience with snubby .38's. Your description of the LCR is pretty typical of any snubby. That stiff trigger pull is your "safety" for these small guns.
    I've shot a number of snubby .38's including Taurus (my personal favorite), Colt Chief's Special (my Father's gun) and one or two S&W's. Your description of the LCR would fit any of them.
    As far as the sights...well, they are for up close and personal defense, not target shooting. Trying moving your target to within 10 feet and see how you and your wife do. In a self defense situation, you're not going to have time to use the sights anyway.
    So, I'd suggest you give that little .38 LCR some time. A trade now would result in a pretty substantial loss and you might not find anything better.

Good post overall though...and your review of the Buckmark was quite illuminating.
    You crusty, ill-tempered, old prick ...lol
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 18th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Just a suggestion, FMJ. Find or load some 148 gr MID_RANGE Wadcutters. Light recoil, easy on the kick, and easy to learn the gun with.

Start light, then move up to 158 gr, loaded nearer to factory pressure and velocity. Start small, and sort of grow into it, and I think she'll feel more comfortable.

Flash

(Monroe County)

Agreed. I definitly wanna give it another try but this is my wifes gun. She's got to be comfortable with shooting it. I can't blame her.. my hands are pretty calussed and it did hurt the hand on every round. I can imagine her tiny hands. She described it as "not unlike being hit with a hammer." lol. Next time we'll try it a little closer to the target. I personally could live with it.. it's not that bad a gun for its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Just a suggestion, FMJ. Find or load some 148 gr MID_RANGE Wadcutters. Light recoil, easy on the kick, and easy to learn the gun with.

Start light, then move up to 158 gr, loaded nearer to factory pressure and velocity. Start small, and sort of grow into it, and I think she'll feel more comfortable.

Flash
    An excellent idea. We will make a point to do that next week. I actually told my wife that she could go ahead and get a new model if she wants... I told her... I would.. oh.. I dunno.. "I guess I could force myself to keep it as a BUG. I know.. I'm all heart. Ha haaa!
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Lancaster County)

Also look into the factory loaded low recoil ammo, if you don't have your own reloading setup. One of my friends had an S&W SP101 in .357. The weight of the gun does help, but the .357 still puts a good pop on your hand and you know it when that thing goes off. We normally shoot his .357 with low recoil .38 rounds in it just to plink, they have A LOT less recoil! Give those a try.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Also look into the factory loaded low recoil ammo, if you don't have your own reloading setup. One of my friends had an S&W SP101 in .357. The weight of the gun does help, but the .357 still puts a good pop on your hand and you know it when that thing goes off. We normally shoot his .357 with low recoil .38 rounds in it just to plink, they have A LOT less recoil! Give those a try.
    Actually, we WERE using .38's. What makes me laugh it it's a +P rated pistol. I can hardly imagine.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Actually, we WERE using .38's. What makes me laugh it it's a +P rated pistol. I can hardly imagine.
    Yeah, those little lightweight snubbies are snappy with the recoil...that's the trade off with any light weight, easy to carry pistol. Just make sure you have a firm grip on it when you shoot!
    Little pistols may not allow all your fingers on the grips, either....making a firm grip even more important. My LCP grip, for example, has only enough room for two fingers...and my hands, while not small, are not "big" by any means.
    Same thing applies to the Taurus .38's I like so much.
    That Colt Chief's Special I wrote (in my first response) about was the worst, BTW. The grip was small and wooden. Wood grips don't absorb recoil as well as rubber grips do. The Colt was an old gun (probably made in the 40's or 50's) and ergonomics weren't a high priority in design back then. Plus, men were men back then and would tough it out.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; July 19th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Monroe County)

Plus, men were men back then and would tough it out.
    Hey! What the hell does that mean?? I'm a... Ouch! I just broke a nail on my keyboard.