Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Flap holster... Open or concealed?

With all the flak over open carry, I was wondering what does the law consider a military style flap holster. Technically it would be concealed because the whole firearm is covered up, but will the police still harass you because "Open Carry isn't PC".

Just an interesting topic to kick around...

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Flap holster... Open or concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    With all the flak over open carry, I was wondering what does the law consider a military style flap holster. Technically it would be concealed because the whole firearm is covered up, but will the police still harass you because "Open Carry isn't PC".

If it's recognizable to anyone with half a brain that you are carrying a gun, I'd think that would be considered open carry. If you do that without an LTCF however, I'll bet there are plenty of gov't people willing to up the hassle factor by calling it concealed, even though they were able to figure out you had a gun by just looking at the holster.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post

Very good question..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Schuylkill County)

i would consider it open carry but you never know what kind of LEO you will get when the sheep come marching.

(Indiana County)

I would think OC. Just out of curiosity, are you referring to the old black leather Cav holsters or the M-9/OD green ambidextrous ones?

(Allegheny County)

I've wondered the same thing when I considered the m12 holster for my Beretta. I ended up going with a different design without a flap, but I still wonder. Along with that comes this question.

If I'm carrying my pistol in an IWB holster, but it's revealed by me tucking in my shirt, is that considered open carry? I know in some situations, it could, just like the flap and concealed.

Just wondering if it's bad form to do so, especially when you haven't found an OC holster that is as good as your concealed one.

(York County)

To my understanding, OC means carrying of a firearm in such a manner that the frame of the gun is outside your outer most layer of clothing. So I'd call it OC. But I'm not really sure what the legal dept would say.

Dave
    3%

(Northumberland County)

The point is that the distinction is silly. Open or concealed... You're still armed.

Many of the encounters that have taken place have officers requesting that people conceal their weapons... Like that makes you all of a sudden much less likely to start shooting people or something...

When I think of flap holster, I think of a CZ-52 or a 1895 Nagant holster which definitely cover the whole arm, but worn as intended, no court should find that that it was concealed given that holsters are pretty much the shape of gun.

We can't rely on that protection from the courts, however. This has long been a question I had planned to ask and am glad to see it being done here.

Case law would advise way better than we could advise ourselves on this. Next to that, we might want to ask AGs, DAs, and powerhouse lawyers/advocates.

I, too, am interested about AWB carry where the arm clearly pokes out of the wasteband, and how that would be different from an OWB holster where the muzzle lines up with the edge of the holster and thusly covers the same amount of firearm as the pants would.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    To my understanding, OC means carrying of a firearm in such a manner that the frame of the gun is outside your outer most layer of clothing. So I'd call it OC. But I'm not really sure what the legal dept would say.

Dave
    Depends on who you get, that stops you for carrying. I've seen some rulings where it's considered Concealed. Having part of covered by your clothing, makes your intent questionable.

I for one, would not OC like that, unless I also have a permit to carry. (Which I do. )

"Big Gay Al" Lowe
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    South Park Fan