Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Do ya think the ATF would go for this?

I had posted a couple of time on different forums that it would be nice if you could buy an R&D stamp for a suppressor to see try to make one for yourself. I know that most people say to not waste your money trying to make one and just buy one. I'd like to try my hand at making one, but I don't want to spend $200 to find out I can't and waste a stamp.

Well I came up with a way to do it, maybe. I don't know if the ATF would go for it but maybe. I'll lay it out, tell me what you think OF MY IDEA. I really don't want to hear that I'd be better off just buying a commercial suppressor in this thread.

I read somewhere that people have registered an adaptor to mount a soda bottle to the muzzle for a suppressor. The adaptor is the suppressor and the bottle is a baffle or wipe or something like that. If this is true, ( I think all the stories I read were "I heard of a guy") why couldn't you register the adaptor, but make a can out of metal and try to design the insides yourself. Then if it doesn't work, buy a commercial can that fits the adaptor. No I'm not saying that you use an adaptor for a soda bottle for this one, just the premise behind it.

Ok now, tell me why it's a dumb idea.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Do ya think the ATF would go for this?

Ok I have a stupid question. Why not just build one and see if it works? If it does then apply for a stamp.

(Adams County)

Technically that would be illegal.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Westmoreland County)

Sounds like another big gray area in the law! You can probably build a can, but as soon as you put it on a host without a tag for testing...would be breakin' the law.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Sounds like another big gray area in the law! You can probably build a can, but as soon as you put it on a host without a tag for testing...would be breakin' the law.
    True, don't get caught!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    Ok I have a stupid question. Why not just build one and see if it works? If it does then apply for a stamp.
    Because that's a felony. You have to have the approval and the stamp BEFORE you start making it.

dj, I remember the soda bottle device you described. I don't know if you can register one of those as a suppressor.

For the device you describe, you have a threaded adapter, and a "can". If the "can" will operate as a suppressor by itself, then it would be considered a suppressor.

A few years back, ATF ruled that ALL parts of a suppressor count as the suppressor - the can, the endcaps, the baffles or wipes. The reason for this is there were some companies that were selling enough parts to build your own suppressor. Company A would sell the tube and end caps, company B would sell the wipes or baffles. Combine and you have a functional suppressor.

If you file your Form 1, pay your $200 you can try as many different baffle designs as you want, provided you don't have more than one set of baffles on hand at a time. This area gets a little gray. If you are making legitimate replacement parts, it's no problem, if you're making a bunch of spare parts, that could be construed as illegal.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Cumberland County)

Sounds like the best coarse of action is to not talk about it online..

(Northampton County)

The BEST course of action is to just buy one Properly.

and leave the building to the Manufacturers.
    there is plenty to choose from, and cost aren't to crazy.

is 500 bucks too much to keep you from grabbing ankles
    at Bubba's house ???

(Centre County)

here is one i was told of. take a muffler from a lawn mower, pack it with steel wool. there you go.

(Washington County)

There are tons of ways.. heck, the ATF considers a tube of cardboard a supressor if it is placed over the barrel of a firearm to lessen the sound signature.

best tip...

Dont screw around with a regulatory bureaucracy that has the power to make your life end, or just become a living hell, unless you got the money and lawyers to fight it all the way up the chain and for years.

they dont answer to anyone, and can come and shoot you if they feel they need to. (same as any tax agency)

Then its up to your surviving relatives to hash it out in court. Extreme case? maybe. dont want to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast