Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Looking for opinion on how to respond to auction seller

Hey everyone. I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I thought I'd give it a try. If it should be moved elsewhere I'm fine with that. Anyway, here's my situation. I'm not a newbie, have owned guns and been shooting for 40+ years now. I've bought, owned, and sold a number of guns over the years, including purchasing some used weapons. I've only bought a small number of used guns on-line due to the fact I've always been a little uneasy with trusting someone else's perception of what "good", or VG is, or what 85% vs 95% is. I guess I've been pretty lucky because up until last year I was never burned on a deal. My last used purchase was a disappointment, the gun just wasn't what the listing implied, and numerous faults were not shown in photos. Since then I've been very reluctant to consider purchasing another used gun without being able to inspect it in person. I've just come across a gun that I've really been wanting for some time, and yes it's used. The photos are nice and cosmetically the gun looks really nice. The seller has good feedback on the auction site. I responded to the listing with 3 or 4 questions regarding the mechanical condition. The only thing stated in the listing regarding function/mechanical condition is: "The rifle has been inspected and functions properly." The gun does not come with any magazine so I was a little curious as to how the seller may have inspected and determined that the gun "functions properly". In a prompt response to my questions in this matter the seller replied "I've never fired it so I don't know about cycling". That's all the seller stated. Now I'm a little more concerned. How can someone list a gun and say it's been "inspected and functions properly" without having ever even fired it? And no, this is not a NIB gun that someone wouldn't want to fire due to decreasing it's value. Here's my problem; This is a somewhat uncommon gun, especially in it's cosmetic condition as shown in the photos. It's too far away to go and see it in person and I don't have any friends in the area that could do it for me. The seller has excellent feedback. Beyond that single sentence the seller didn't address any of my other questions such as bore condition, recoil spring/buffer replacement, etc. I don't want to come across as some kind of smart a** or know it all, but I really would like some more specific clarification as to the gun's mechanical condition before making a bid. How would you approach it and/or phrase a subsequent inquiry? If the gun is anywhere near as good as the photos show I really don't want to lose it, but I also don't need a repeat of my last used gun on-line purchase either. Just looking for some alternate input and/or points of view. Thanks for listening all.

Default Re: Looking for opinion on how to respond to auction seller

I would run away. This is how people get ripped off.

You are right, he doesn't know crap about what he is talking about, and being vague with answers to questions should be a red flag.

I would look for the gun in question somewhere else, and I personally would never buy a gun that I could not inspect in person first.

(Montgomery County)

I'd simply email the guy with my phone number & ask him to call me at a convenient time.

Not everyone communicates well via email. Not everyone communicates well over the phone, but if you give the guy 2 shots and still don't have a good feeling about the deal, it's a whole lot easier to walk away.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like your in for a crap shoot. This gun is rare and you want it. The guy has a good reputation and gave you a prompt answer. That's all good to me. While he may not have answered all your questions, it could be he is just not familiar enough to answer these questions or might be too busy to answer multiple questions from someone who may or may not buy this gun.
    Is this a gun that you could buy for looks and maybe combine later with a good shooter if it turns out not being a great functioning gun? Or is it serial number kind of specific?
    Also is this on a reputable auction site or is it a classifieds kind of sale? Perhaps you can contact a previous buyer or two?
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Luzerne County)

"I've never fired it so I don't know about cycling". That's all the seller stated.
    Careful, By the above statement, the seller is making NO claims that the gun will even fire, or cycle.

If it turns out that the gun won't cycle, fires sometimes, but not every time he can say "I told you I never fired it".

That he did not attempt to answer all your questions would make me wonder.

I'd simply email the guy with my phone number & ask him to call me at a convenient time.
    I agree with dosequis's comment above. If he does not want to talk, then walk away.

(Allegheny County)

Half the rifles I own were purchased without seeing them in person first. Most had photos, but some photos were so poor I needed to request better photos, or ask questions to clarify condition. So far, everything has been as described, or better.

It drives me nuts when I ask three specific questions and only get a reply to one, or two of them. You're wasting my time and yours when you don't address the questions asked. If I didn't care about the answers - if they had no bearing on my decision to buy, I wouldn't have asked.

I've also gotten a few that I was told up front that they had no reason to believe they didn't work, but they had not fired them.
    One guy actually offered me three days to inspect after receipt and if I wasn't happy, I could return it on my dime for a refund of the purchase price.

It really depends on the amount of money you are willing to risk and the vibe you get from the seller.
    The whole "functions properly" thing is likely determined by manually operating it and not by actual firing. I wouldn't really expect a shop, or auction buyer to take every gun they take in to the range to shoot it to determine function.

Perhaps you can inquire as to an inspection period?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by dosequis View Post

Not everyone communicates well via email. Not everyone communicates well over the phone, but if you give the guy 2 shots and still don't have a good feeling about the deal, it's a whole lot easier to walk away.
    I like this idea. Just because it "cycles" doesn't mean that it works. No magazine, how does he know it cycles? Is the firing pin broke? Extractor and/or spring? Does the safety work? Bore? Pitting under the wood?
    Write down all the questions you can think of and try to get a phone call. Good luck.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

OP, take these two suggestions from the above:

A phone call *may* get you better answers, or at least get you a "feel" for the seller. Crazy, but some people just can't read/write!

An inspection period of a couple days. If the gun fails, guess you're out the transfer, shipping etc.. But if it's a rare item, that may be the better outcome than a total loss. If the seller declines this, pass on it all together.

Good luck!

Regards, Jim

(Washington County)

Totally agree on the phone call thing - really helps to size up a person.

That thing about only answering the 1st question is obnoxious but very very common - not just in gun transactions, but in all sorts of email correspondence. Can't explain it but seen it many times! I wouldn't assume they were dodging you just because they can't manage to read your whole email.

Be smart be cautious. Don't allow your enthusiasm for a hard to find item to cloud your judgment.

Hokkmike Guest

What's your "gut check" telling you? (yes, that's right - don't buy it)

There WILL BE another one to come along sooner or later.