Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you use for a Belt for Holster - material/size etc.

Based on recommendations from this forum for a horseback/woods gun I got my Ruger Security Six in SS with a 4". Looks almost new no hint of a dragline on the cylinder no polishing on the gun. I would say 96%+. Gave $280 out the door.

Anyway since I want this for horseback/woods carry I was thinking a crossdraw holster since it would be out of the way for riding and should be comfortable. I was looking at the parachute cord/web equipment belts. But I don't know the advantages/disadvantages to these - I was hoping for some input. What do you folks recommend - leather, nylon, etc? Also what width. I wear mostly jeans when out and about so I guess I need something that will fit through the belt loops - I don't think I want to wear two belts like LEO.

(York County)

Default Re: What do you use for a Belt for Holster - material/size etc.

Take a look at The Beltman's products (Link). All or most are thick (¼") leather. I've had one for a few years and it's doing quite well. Cost is between $60 and $90 but well worth it.
    Mine is a casual belt and is used for activities similar to what you describe. Get the 1½" width so it'll fit jeans belt loops.

While I'm making recommendations, for a holster take a look at the Don Hume Model 721 with a retention strap. I use that belt/holster combo when I carry a 3.06" barrelled Ruger SP101.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; December 27th, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Northampton County)

In my experience the two most important issues are design and compatibility. By that I mean use a belt that is specifically designed to support the weight of a holstered weapon. I don't think the material is important if the design is correct. All my belts are 1 1/4" leather but that's just my preference.

The other issue is compatibility, all of my holsters are made for a 1 1/4" belt. There is nothing worse than a holster that does not fit the belt, it will move around on the belt and become an annoyance. Because I use a 1 1/4" belt I can't buy off the shelf belts or holsters (for the most part) but that's ok with me.

(Allegheny County)

I own and use a beltman belt and a Wilderness Instructor belt.

they are both great gun belts.

(Allegheny County)

I've been using the Wilderness reinforced model for many years now as a general purpose belt. I've also tried a few leather belts from Galco and found they go soft way too fast for me. I recently ordered a Beltman belt in horsehide with the reinforced option since I need a good leather belt too. I normally get my belts 1 3/4 width and found that Galco tends to be the easiest for off the shelf holsters made to fit that.

(Erie County)

I prefer 1 1/2" belts because they fit all my belt loops. I have my holsters made with matching slots. Wilderness belts are the best of the instructor belts and I prefer them to UM, Galco or Blackhawks. In your situation, horseback/outdoors, I'd use my Wilderness belts before my leather belts.

Look at a leather craft store. They have good quality belt blanks in a number of widths and thickness's. I picked up a belt blank got some leather dye (Mahogany) dyed it on both sides added a buckle and punched some holes for the buckle and it turned out real nice looking. Then I got a surprize, it matched the Galco holster I got for Christmas for my 1911.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Bucks County)

What about the Liger gun belt?

(Philadelphia County)

Check out the Belt Man.

I just placed my order on Friday for a quick ship.

He allready emailed me and told me it's going in the mail this monday.

If his belt is half as good as his customer service, I am for one hell of a belt!!!

Stay tuned to the carry section. Once it arrives I plan on doing a full review with PLENTY of pics!

I love this holster, it may not look like it hold's your pistol secure but it does & it's very comfortable & easy to draw. If it's good enough for Walker the Texas Ranger, it's good enough for me...lol..I have a shitload of holster's but this is my favorite.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast