Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default A few questions about my new shotgun...

Just got a new Remington 870 Express...

1. Does it hurt this shotgun to dry-fire it?

2. How do I know if a choke is installed? If it isn't installed do I need one to fire 00 buck tactical rounds?

Sorry for the noobness. Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: A few questions about my new shotgun...

You can dry fire but I would recommend getting a Snap-Cap for it. It cushions the firing pin when it goes forward lessening the possibility of something happening to the pin.

Look down the muzzle, if it looks like there is a piece with 2 - 4 slots cut in it then it is choked. Also if it is new you should have gotten a choke wrench with it if it has removable chokes. Also the barrel may say Rem-Choke on it somewhere.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Unhappy Re: A few questions about my new shotgun...

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can dry fire but I would recommend getting a Snap-Cap for it. It cushions the firing pin when it goes forward lessening the possibility of something happening to the pin.

Look down the muzzle, if it looks like there is a piece with 2 - 4 slots cut in it then it is choked. Also if it is new you should have gotten a choke wrench with it if it has removable chokes. Also the barrel may say Rem-Choke on it somewhere.
    If it's not choked then what? The manual specifically says do not fire without a choke!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    If it's not choked then what? The manual specifically says do not fire without a choke!
    ussually they come with a choke installed... did you buy new or used? If you look can you see threads at the end of the barrell?

the description says it should come with a choke

Both the 12- and 20-gauge models are offered with your choice of a 26- or 28-inch vent-rib barrel with a Modified Rem™ Choke and single bead sight.
    Last edited by GetSome; December 19th, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

(Monroe County)

here is the schematic of the 870

http://www.remington.com/support/par..._schematic.asp

here is the manual.. it talks about choke tubes but doesnt show them...

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_870.pdf
    Last edited by GetSome; December 19th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

The manual says not to fire without a choke because you will damage the threads inside the barrel. If you did not get a choke wrench, you can use a quarter to unscrew one that may be in there. Your shotty may not even have a chokeable bbl, but more than likely does.
    Jules

(Beaver County)

These responses are describing a removable choke system, with choke tubes that screw in the muzzle end of the barrel. Some barrels arn't made for them. Like the poster said look at the muzzel of the barrel and to see if there are notches on an inner liner about 3"' long. or if you can see screw threads inside. Either way look on the barrel where it says gauge, mfg. etc, usually on the left side at the breech. If it is a plain choked barrel it will say it there and which choke it is, IC or IMP. C is Improved Cylander, Mod is Modified, Full is Full choke. Some doubles and older guns don't say what choke it is, then you would have to measure it with a vernier caliper to determine.

(Monroe County)

according to the owners manual and the specs it came with a removable modified choke tube...

Dragon you should take a picture of the end of the barrell and post it... it will make it easier to figure out whats up..

(Washington County)

Congrats on the new 870 Express! Trust when I say that you're going to absolutely love it

The 870 I just picked up in October doesn't have any of the Rem-Choke or other wording on the barrel or receiver to indicate whether it has a choke or not. It does, but you can only tell it does by looking at the muzzle. That said, pictures are worth a 1000 words, so here's what everyone is talking about:

Choke tool that should have been included in the box (as mentioned, a quarter will work too):

The notches seen in the muzzle when there's a choke installed (flash on & off):

What happens when you put the choke tool into the muzzle and turn it counter clockwise:

Choke completely removed:

I'm assuming you have a 12 Ga., mine is a 20 Ga., but that shouldn't make a difference as far as the choke is concerned.

(Delaware County)

Thank you for the pictures. Talked to remington via email. The answer is that mine has a fixed, fully open choke built into the barrel. If I want removable chokes I will need to change the barrel. I don't care about this because I will be mostly firing buckshot from it anyway and my understanding is I would want an open choke for 00 buck tactical rounds anyway.

I might be using it for skeet with smaller shot but hey, I like a challenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast