Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: An essay forum

(Chester County)

Default An essay forum and DIY (do it yourself) forum

We should have an essay forum for the posting (publishing as it were) of essays dealing with gun related issues. I know I have posted probably 2 or 3 of these types of posts before and felt they were out of place in the 'general' forum.

We all informally post here to share information, but sometimes it is helpful to consult writings that have a different purpose. Perhaps these messages do not tell you how to fix this gun piece, or why this gun is better than that, but they send a message to everyone who owns guns; or to everyone who respects gun rights (or doesn't); and in general the essay can serve a greater purpose in conveying ideas.

It could be a forum that offers an arena for illuminating debate on a level higher than the normal 10 post long threads. I see essay quality threads now and then and I wish these threads were collected for my later perusal. Hitherto, these topics are located in any number of forums....possibly in the lounge, in general, in Q and A, etc.

So, in summation, I propose a forum for the purpose of housing essay quality work with the possibility of incorporating peer review. This would help newcomers to the site see what kind of intellectual debate happens here (this is a highly stimulating forum imo) and would allow for a focus for others who have been here a long time.
    Last edited by Jackal; November 24th, 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: to bump, edit title.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: An essay forum

yer darn tootin, that there's a right fine idear...

In all seriousness, I would thoroughly enjoy reading essays on gun and gun related topics. +1 to you.

(Beaver County)

I think we did have a section for this at one time, but it didn't get posted to very often. I believe it got merged with the general forum.

(Chester County)

'Articles' was it? I never posted there because the items I did see were of a more technical nature and did not interest me.

I would like an essay/article forum and then maybe a forum for 'do it yourself' activities. Like a DIY forum forum for reference in saiga conversion, or ammo reloading, or ar building, etc. There are a ton of DIY type projects. I see guides on other forums, but it would be nice to have it all in house here.

(Chester County)

I'm actually more in favor of the DIY forum than for an essay forum. The DIY forum would be useful to a lot of people, we are all DIY'ers in some regard in my opinion.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)