Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Please explain these terms

Please explain these terms (I see these mentioned often, but I'm not sure what they mean):
    1. "Compensated" or "compensator": Is this some type of add-on to a gun, or does it come as a manufactured part of the gun? I am assuming it somehow reduces the recoil that the shooter feels.

2. Police "back up gun": Is this an off duty gun, or do the officers actually carry 2 guns when on duty (a "main gun" and a "back up gun"). If they literally carry two guns, why do they do that, and is the back up gun the same caliber as the main gun?

3. Law enforcement handgun "qualify": I've read where people mention things like an officer being allowed to carry certain guns if he or she can qualify with it. What does it take to "qualify"?

thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Please explain these terms

Quote Originally Posted by ursavus.elemensis View Post
    1. "Compensated" or "compensator": Is this some type of add-on to a gun, or does it come as a manufactured part of the gun? I am assuming it somehow reduces the recoil that the shooter feels.
    Compensated guns have extra weight added to the end of the gun to reduce recoil. Glock has confused this term though because they label their ported firearms (where slots are cut in the top of the barrel/slide to prevent recoil) as "Compensated".

2. Police "back up gun": Is this an off duty gun, or do the officers actually carry 2 guns when on duty (a "main gun" and a "back up gun"). If they literally carry two guns, why do they do that, and is the back up gun the same caliber as the main gun?
    To the best of my knowledge many police officers carry a smaller gun as backup in the event that they lose their primary firearm. One of my buddies carries a .38 revolver as his BUG.

3. Law enforcement handgun "qualify": I've read where people mention things like an officer being allowed to carry certain guns if he or she can qualify with it. What does it take to "qualify"?
    Passing whatever test the agency requires. My same buddy has to qualify with any gun/ammunition he wants to carry on duty.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

As Dan stated, compensated pistols typically have a slightly longer barrel because of added length from the compensator, and added weight to help keep the barrel from recoiling as tall. Sometimes the barrel runs the length of the compensator and sometimes it's just partially there. As he stated, glock kind of confuses people with their C designation when they really mean ported. This is to help vent gases from the barrel to help reduce recoil, only it makes the guns quite loud. These are some pictures of compensated 1911's. http://www.briley.com/pistols/platemaster.jpg
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/c45015-2.jpg

Ideally, a backup gun is the same caliber as your carry gun so that you can share ammo between the two if you really had to (very bad situation and not really likely). They don't necessarily have to be a smaller caliber, but many people end up choosing a gun that is a smaller caliber than their main carry piece because they can get a smaller frame which is easier to hide. They are usually kept on the ankle, pocket, sometimes small of back, etc. Police officers aren't the only ones that carry BUG's (backup guns), many concealed carry holders have BUGs.

(Erie County)

Please explain these terms (I see these mentioned often, but I'm not sure what they mean):

thanks
    You got the answers for the first two.The third one means that they go to the range every so often and MUST qualify at target shooting.They do have the act 235 Certification,and must be renewed every five years.They shoot 30rds,10rds at 7 yards target,10rds at 15 yards and 10rds at 25 yards using their pistol plus shotgun qualification-6 shells at 15 yards.On top of act 235 every PD has it's own rules and regulations regarding shooting and handling a weapon.
    LEGUM SERVI SUMUS UT LIBERI ESSE POSSIMUS

(York County)

Little Help for you, Act 235, is for private security personnel who carry firearms
    in the course of there employment. Certification/renewal every five (5) years.
    Police Officers in Pa. must comply with Act 120 anually. The courses of fire are
    much different.

(Philadelphia County)

Some of us civi's carry a backup gun as well.

(Chester County)

I have a question. Please explain sight radious. I have an idea but I dont know the offical definition.

(Lawrence County)

Sight radius. Distance between the rear sight and front sight. Longer sight radius allows more precise aiming for most people when using open sights.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Some of us civi's carry a backup gun as well.
    I have one! Well....had one until Carrie took it.

Thumbs up Re: Please explain these terms

It is comforting to see great answers for a board user who had legit. questions. It would have been easy for all of you guys to say dumb shit like, "Where have you been"? or "Use the search feature" etc.... I have a renewed faith in forums. This is what they are for.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast