Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Protective posts at PAFOA

A long, long time ago…. Must have been at least 3 months now, some thing odd happened to me here, some one pulled a pretty bad joke. I was made to feel pretty foolish and after all was said and done, it pretty well cooled off, mind you a few of the people I used to chat to and even PM a lot stopped talking on a regular basis.

Further back, Dan and I had a chat night once, and we had come to the conclusion that there would be instigators, there would be bad apples coming here to disturb us, and there would be people that would post opposing views.

We knew there would be the 9mm vs. .45 debates, and some would go overboard to show their loyal guns where better then others. We also knew there would be some that would come here just to try and disturb the flow of ideas.

We then agreed this would be dealt with when it came along.

We also knew that there would be some Joking around; I am one of the first to be a joker. Poor Emptymag.. err Rustymag is certainly able to attest to this. But it was also said that friends even internet friends would do this. I think Emptymag knows if I could help him in any way, I would be there in a flash!

I couldn’t help but notice that JayBell had to delete some ones post lately because it must have been pretty crude. What disturbed me more about this is it was right after I posted a picture of my Step Daughter. Believe me I appreciate that JayBell is on the ball but I cant help but thinking some one “might” have said some thing wrong about a nice young girl learning to shoot.

A little while after that, some one asked me to delete some thing from a post I had, Reason being some perverted people had contacted him or made remarks. We are talking a child here people! Not even in grade school. The person in question said “I dint know we had pervs in our membership…”

Although I generally agree, you should not post your address, names of children, pictures of children one line, One would think this was a friendly board where most people have a common goal, and that all members would be protective of one an other. Seems One would be wrong thinking this.

So to those who are here making trouble let me say this. I will denounce any perverted posts personally to the admin. I will not tolerate any one saying any thing bad or crude about a child or picture of a child here. I believe I speak for all the supporting members when I say We will not stand for trolls and people generally trying to create havoc in the threads.
    We have lost a few good members here, some by their own stupidity, some because they felt they where being harassed or stalked, others because they could not stand the constant criticism they received.

So far, seems the contributing/supporting members have been the target of these crude “jokes”. Yeah its always a joke…

As one of the main jokers here, I think we need a thread to protect the victims. So if you think some one is going overboard about some thing you said, some thing you did, or some thing / picture you posted, you feel you are being unfairly talked about, you feel there is harassment or you feel stalked, you need to post here so we can all be aware of the “jokester”. I ask the Admin to keep up their good work, but as we all know, the board had gotten larger, and it must be difficult to monitor every thing and still keep working on other things and their daily lives. These guys are allowed to go to the range and take a break too!

Once posted here, the Admin will be asked to look at the thread, decide if it is good or needs deleted/corrected or even banned.

I am a strong believer in PAFOA, I also happen to believe we as members have a strong voice. I strongly urge those of you who have not yet contributed a donation to the board to do so even if it seems small. And I believe I speak with the heart of all the contributors when I say we will do the best even if we are not moderators to help and keep this board safe.

Again, If you feel you are a victim on the board, you can post your views here, or contact one of the admins.

PLEASE DO NOT POST PERSONAL ISSUES PUBLICLY, PLEASE CONTACT A MODERATOR PRIVATELY, THANKS - danp

danp
    doug
    ChamberedRound
    JayBell
    Last edited by danp; March 22nd, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Protective posts at PAFOA

Frenchy and to all the admins you have my support with what Frenchy is saying,I back him 100% on this. I like to joke but would never disrespect somone or his family. I enjoy this forum and it's members and would like to keep it sucessful.

(Westmoreland County)

Agreed. I enjoy joking around as much as the next guy but some things are better left unsaid. Period.
    I own guns!

(Philadelphia County)

I believe Danp posted a great picture on some thread not too long ago.

Something about Internet + Anonymity = Assholes.

Although I understand what you are talking about, I dont think we should start making threads and pointing our fingers at people, because remember, we have a right to free speech, but we dont have a right to not get offended.

As proven in the past, Trolls are rapidly taken care of, same thing for spammers.

And if you find somebody who offends you, please use the ignore button, change the channel, turn the dial, or... well, you get the point.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Beaver County)

Done with the soap box now?

If the admins felt this needed addressed, they would have made a posting about it. They have a job, we should allowe them to do it.

(Erie County)

I have the attention span of a chipmunk so I haven't noticed or just plain ignored anything that was out of hand. I assume I didn't say anything as no PM'ed me. I am a huge smartass, but normally don't post too many comments about people, well cept frenchie, I mean look at the name

I didn't notice the posts about when frenchy posted a picture. I can't believe I actually read that entire post, he's beating excell-to-excell in average words per post

(Allegheny County)

Good post...too bad it needed to be posted. Right there behind you. However, I too am a smartass.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I believe Danp posted a great picture on some thread not too long ago.

Something about Internet + Anonymity = Assholes.

Although I understand what you are talking about, I dont think we should start making threads and pointing our fingers at people, because remember, we have a right to free speech, but we dont have a right to not get offended.
    A right to free speech is not the right to openly insult. Just because there is a right to speech, or free speech does not mean people do not get insulted or offended. Also does not mean people have to right to insult.

As proven in the past, Trolls are rapidly taken care of, same thing for spammers.
    Things that have been happening are not spam or trolls. Certain people have been targeted, if you are not yet one of them, be happy. Life goes on!
    And if you find somebody who offends you, please use the ignore button, change the channel, turn the dial, or... well, you get the point.
    Very well said, Please do not feel the need to read any further if you have not been targeted.
    Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    Done with the soap box now?
    Again, Please do not feel the need to read any further if you have not been targeted.

If the admins felt this needed addressed, they would have made a posting about it. They have a job, we should allowe them to do it.
    I would say over 90% of the posts here are not by admins, they do have a Job, they also have daytime jobs. Are you saying they dont need help, or just that you prefer a few members be targeted and leave so people can feel "free"?

Seems to me that people would want this forum to be a good safe place for information, please let me know if I am wrong. If you want a forum where people get insulted by PM or e-mail then we need to tell the members so they can know ahead of time and not waste time here.

Some of the things I am talking about here are not just about being a "Smartass" but more on a threat level. I can speak for how I felt when I had the threat made to me. As for the persons who wrote to me, who will all remain unknown, one has already left, the other has already once said they where ready to leave. I dont call these pepole trolls, you might be very surprised at what they went through. Believe me, to them it was no "joke".
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    I have the attention span of a chipmunk
    if i were a chipmunk, i'd be offended...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    A right to free speech is not the right to openly insult. Just because there is a right to speech, or free speech does not mean people do not get insulted or offended. Also does not mean people have to right to insult.
    Humm... yes it does. Free Speach protects unpopular speech. If you continue with your line of thinking, then you are going to have riots because somebody makes a silly picture of Mohammed.

If people send you PMs or Emails where they insult you or where you are offended, then you should just block those users and not bring it out to the public in a thread.

Secondly, I do not want you, nor any of the admins, to tell me whats offensive or what I should or should not be exposed to.

I like you Frenchy, I often enjoy reading your posts, even the veeeery long ones. but a common theme with you is that you try to impose your views on other members of this board. Whether its asking to remove offensive material, or asking to increase the minimum numbers of letters required to make a post, it seems that you judge and want to force others to live by your views/morals/ect. And this is, my opinion, the main reason why you are not a moderator here.

Remember whats offensive to you might be ROFL to somebody else.

Live and let live bro!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast