Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING REAL

I take my son to work, I usually leave the house about 7:30pm. The round trip usually brings me back home about 9:00pm. Tonight was no different. At 7:30 James, myself, and my dog Rocky get in the car for our journey.

As I was returning home and got approximately a block away from my house I can see that my porch lights were on. The porch lights are on a sensor that will go on if someone approaches the door or a critter happens to take a walk on the porch.

As I get closer to the house, I can see that my screen door is also open. Humm, what to do. Instead of turning in my driveway I just keep going. Make a turn onto the next block so I can come around to the side of my house (corner house) and kind of check things out. As I come down the block I see nothing unusual or disturbed. I decide to pull into the driveway but leave the ass end of the car right at the sidewalk. The porch light is now off.

Before I get out of the car, I pulled my sweatshirt behind my gun and clicked open the thumb strap. O/C ing with just my open jacket for cover.

I take Rocky out of the car on his leash and proceed to take him for a little walk. Passing the front of the house and down the next block along the side of my house. I'm looking for broken windows, unusual lights in the house or anything else out of the ordinary. I'm standing on the sidewalk looking into my yard and trying desperately to see my back door. Pitch black, can't see a thing.

I decide to go in through the side gate to the yard. My fence is only about 4 feet tall and its chain link. I let Rocky off the leash and into the yard. He runs around sniffing and stops at his usual place to pee (he's having a pissing contest with some critter). I walk through my yard looking at the garage nothing unusual. Same with my windows and back door, nothings disturbed.

Ok, walk out of the yard down my driveway, up my porch steps to my front door. Remember the screen door is open/ajar. Of course now the porch lights are on because I just crossed the sensor.

I was a little frightened to just open the door and walk in my house.

This is what I did. I opened the screen door. Kind of slid inside and pulled my gun, holding it at my side. I was contemplating cocking it. I made the split second decision not too. I put the key in the door but didn't open it, just unlocked it. Rocky at my side, I pushed the door open and stood in the doorway. I motioned for Rocky to go in but to sit right at the door. I wanted to listen. I knew if Rocky heard something I couldn't he wouldn't be sitting like a statue. He would have tore ass through the house. I kept silent. Remember I still have my gun in my hand.

I walked to the steps gave a listen. Nothing. I trusted Rocky to hear anything upstairs. All of my second floor has carpeting and you can't hear footsteps. Rocky proceeded to the kitchen where the back door is, nothing. I did take particular notice that the door to my other staircase was still closed just the way I left it. Okay, now thats relieving. I proceed to walk through my whole downstairs, making one quick stop for my hidden .9mm which I shove into my waistband.

I gave Rocky the command "go find James", and he darts up the stairs, looking for James. Going into every room looking for him. I follow up the stairs, .38 in hand and .9mm in my waistband. Rocky must have though I was nuts being we just dropped James off.

I follow Rocky towards every room. Nothing.

I figured if there was someone in the house, Rocky would find him.

I also made damn sure that my AR was still in its hiding place. It was.

Then the guilt set in. Did I send Rocky into danger? What would I have done if there was someone in the house, knowing my faithful Rocky was in danger? If there was someone in the house, would I retreat? Would I run out the door, and leave my dog behind? Would he follow me, or stay and fight?

I don't know, and thats what scares the living shit out of me.

This all happened at about 8:40 this evening. Its 12:30 now. Its taken me almost 4 hours to come to grips with this.

Default Re: COULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING REAL

Walking into a home you feel has been violated is a dark feeling. You don’t know what will happen. I happened in my sister’s home one night every thing seemed usual until I stepped on glass…

The robbers had come in through a basement window and now I find my self in the house (in Canada) unarmed and feeling very vulnerable.

I got to the phone and called the police, told them I was in the house and there was broken glass all over the floor. They came in minutes and I watched as they searched the house… Right then I knew what being violated felt like, it was just a dark feeling inside of me, rage thinking some one broke in and went through my family’s things.

As it turned out, they took a VCR a camera and a few other electronic gadgets…
    My sister later showed me where she had a small “tazer” if and when I felt I would need it.

Sorry you had to go through that. Some times a door can open with the wind or not close properly.
    When I meet you again, ill try to show you some thing if I can remember. It will show you a lot about if ornot some one is inside.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Dauphin County)

Michele glad everything was alright, you did everything exactly like you should have, slow and easy and even better you had Rocky to help. if there was a burglar in the house he would have known right away and your correct in assuming he would hear them..

as far as what if ? well most dogs once they see someone that is not welcome they will bark and or go after them, if you ran out of the house i would bet he is a great dog and would stay to make sure your safe, most dogs are very very protective of their owners and homes....

seeing that the light was on and your screen door open and not walking right in is exactly what allot of people do without even noticing .. good for you . and again im glad it was a false alarm...

I just found my door open very strange. I just had a feeling something wasn't right. I'm not concerned usually when Rocky is home and i'm out. As soon as your foot touches any steps he's on it. I wouldn't take the chance coming in with Rocky smiling at you from the window. Tonight, no Rocky, and no car in driveway.

Whenever the porch lights or the back sensor lights go on, Rockys ready to see what it is. Usually at night its that friggin skunk on the porch. The light doesn't cause him to spray, Rockys barking does. He sprayed so bad one night I thought he was IN the house. I guess that's life in Pennsylvania.

(Susquehanna County)

Glad everything was OK. Give Rocky a steak tonight and know he'd of laid down his life for you. I know most dogs love their owners that much.

(Bucks County)

Scary story. Kudos on being aware and in control. Rocky sounds like a good dog, and you have to think that he would probably have been able to hold his own if it came down to it. Give him a pet for us.

Chris

(Westmoreland County)

Glad everything turned out ok! Don't worry about Rocky...sounds like he can handle himself well in a fight!

(Westmoreland County)

Michele,

Two things immediately caught my attention.

You made the right decision not to thumb cock your revolver. Not a good thing to do with adrenalin coursing through your veins.

Get yourself a good combat flashlight (surefire) and carry it with you as part of your every day kit. A good flashlight is just as important as a pistol and spare magazine. It would have came in handy while you were trying to see your back door and even more so when you entered your house.

About Rocky, burglars don't usually carry firearms and of those that do, by and large they aren't good marksmen. My guess is Rocky would have got the better of anyone in your house, armed or not.

20/20 hindsight, calling the police and having them clear your house as a two man team would have been the wisest option. Clearing a house by yourself is extremely dangerous.

(Delaware County)

Use this as a lesson and learn from it. Like Tony said have the police check things out for you that's what they get paid for and train for. Also you better give Rockey a great dinner he earned it. Glad everyone was safe.

(Allegheny County)

Glad you and Rocky are OK.

Get a bunch of flashlights have them everywhere, car, purse, coat pocket, one in every room of the house.

Please next time call the Police, they will clear your house for you, I've had it done once to my place when I lived in NC. And I called them once to clear a neighbors apartment when I found thier door slightly jarred open. Turned out they just left in a hurry and forgot to close the door tight. The cops didn't mind coming out at all.

Be safe!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast