Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Need Help Regarding NJ / PA Titling

I am looking ot buy a boat from NJ and I live in PA... The NJ Dealership is trying to hit me with a DMV charge of 300 to do who knows what.... BUt I keep telling them they dont have to do any DMV work...

The PA Boat Commission tells me all the dealer has to do is reassign the title to me and I can bring the paperwork to the notary and get the boat and trailer titled....

Also they are trying to tell me itt is state Regulation that they give me a temporary license plate for the trailer... I told him I could bring the paper work (after I fork over the cash) to my notary and return with a license plate and registration for the trailer. He keeps telling me its state law that he has to put a temp tag on the trailer...

Anybody have any experience with this? can you point me to saw laws that support what he is saying? I cant find anything..

Thanks

Default Re: Need Help Regarding NJ / PA Titling

Quote Originally Posted by GetSome View Post
    I am looking ot buy a boat from NJ and I live in PA... The NJ Dealership is trying to hit me with a DMV charge of 300 to do who knows what.... BUt I keep telling them they dont have to do any DMV work...

The PA Boat Commission tells me all the dealer has to do is reassign the title to me and I can bring the paperwork to the notary and get the boat and trailer titled....

Also they are trying to tell me itt is state Regulation that they give me a temporary license plate for the trailer... I told him I could bring the paper work (after I fork over the cash) to my notary and return with a license plate and registration for the trailer. He keeps telling me its state law that he has to put a temp tag on the trailer...

Anybody have any experience with this? can you point me to saw laws that support what he is saying? I cant find anything..

Thanks
    Doesn't sound right. The boat and trailer will be registered in Pa. so that's where the DMV work should be done. Call your DMV and see what they say.
    I think if you get the plates from your Dmv you should be able to bring them and the paper work to the boat dealer in NJ. I think you even pay your tax at the Pa. DMV. Just make sure you don't get taxed twice.