Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default First Time Gun Owner

Hey all,

Just joined the site and plan on buying my first firearm of my life. I have a lot of questions before buying.

Some background:
    I live in Philadelphia, and have glanced through the PA laws for gun ownership. I live alone, and there are never any children around the house. I'm not buying for any other reason than to exercise my Second Amendment rights. I have no immediate plans for hunting, survivalism, or beefed up home defense.

1) Would I be best off going to a range and taking some courses before buying?

2) Is there a good site/faq for first time buyer questions.

3) Is there a best place to buy? (i.e. Gun show vs Dealer)

4) Should I plan on storing at home or at a licensed range?

5) What are some tips on learning how to shoot as well as maintain my weapon?

6) What are the basic steps of buying? I know I don't have to register, but there is a required license to transport by car - how do I get it home from the dealer?

7) Am I not asking any questions I should be?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: First Time Gun Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Old City Joe View Post
    Hey all,

Just joined the site and plan on buying my first firearm of my life. I have a lot of questions before buying.

Some background:
    I live in Philadelphia, and have glanced through the PA laws for gun ownership. I live alone, and there are never any children around the house. I'm not buying for any other reason than to exercise my Second Amendment rights. I have no immediate plans for hunting, survivalism, or beefed up home defense.

Wouldnt hurt going to the range and getting some trigger time behind a gun for rent at a range or better yet take a basic NRA course

You're at a good place right here

Dealers or online you typically find the best deals, gunshows are hit and miss with certian types of guns

Why not store at home, that way its accesible for SD or potential carry?

Train, train, trian..the maintaining part will come with reading/youtube etc for your particular gun
    6) What are the basic steps of buying? I know I don't have to register, but there is a required license to transport by car - how do I get it home from the dealer?

Basic steps of buying are background check (PICS) insta check system..transporting a firearm without LTCF would be gun and ammo seperate from eachother in seperate compartments

So far asked a lot of good questions!!!
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming gun ownership!!!

Ive filled in my tid bit of advice above...

(Cumberland County)

What kind of firearm are you looking into? Handgun, rifle? If you are going for home defense i'd say a 20 gauge, concealed carry then weigh your options. I like my glock 26 for concealed carry but my glock 17 on hikes w/a my dog. Just do some brand research beforehand after you decide which type of firearm you are interested in. A lot of my military buddies swear by glock which is why i chose the brand. They are known for reliability.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to PAFOA.

I'm not buying for any other reason than to exercise my Second Amendment rights.
    I know I will get flamed for this, but that seems a bad reason to buy a firearm. Do you plan to just walk around with it? It is a weapon not a billboard. Carrying a gun brings with it a certain responsibility. You need to be comfortable with that first
    I think that an introductory course would be very helpful for you (especially given my statement above).
    This is a very good site for it. Check the Pistol subforum.
    I would say local gun shop (LGS). You can get a lot more advice from them at the shop than from even the same dealer at a show, just due to the number of other shoppers, gun shows are very crowded.
    Home. I do not know any ranges that store members’ firearms. The liability is too high for them.
    Practice practice practice. Classes are good. Get very friendly with your LGS and with old timers at your range.
    Youtube is a great resource for maintenance info. But watch a few versions of the same thing before tackling it yourself, make sure they are all consistent so you are not following bad advice.

No registration in PA. Background check is required. Briefly, a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) is needed to carry concealed anywhere. You also need it to carry openly in Phila. Also to carry in the passenger compartment of a car (you can transport it in a case, not within reach, unloaded etc etc). There are many pitfalls to carrying ad many exceptions. Best to just apply for a license.

A basic into to pistol course would be very helpful on this as the laws can get complex.

Good questions so far. More will come to you as you move forward.

Hey all,

Some background:

You are not required to by law but it can't hurt. It would also give you a chance to try out different guns to find out what type/caliber you are comfortable with.

As others have said, this is a good place.

I've never bought one at a gun show. Dealers are fine and you can often find good deals on line and have it delivered to a ffl

I see no reason not to store at home. How you store it is up to you based on your situation. single vs. married with kids etc.....

Plenty of tips on this site if you do a search. The main thing is to learn how to do things the right way then practice as much as you can.

Here is a post that answers some of the questions that you might have. It is aimed at newbies.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/184...n-newbies.html

You will always find you have more

Once again, here is a post aimed at newbies that can help answer some of your questions.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/184...n-newbies.html

(Venango County)

I would recommend a good local dealer. That way they can walk you through ANY issues you might have. (handling, warranty problems etc.)

Good advice given so far. Shoot as many different types of handguns so you can get a feel for your comfort zone.

Unless you have semi-auto experience with detached mags such as military training M-16 or AR-15s etc.; I recommend revolvers. They are simpler and can handle more abuse. Find one with a firing pin block in case you drop it on the hammer. It will prevent an accidental discharge. Some semi-autos have a detente position for the hammer as well for the same reasons.

Semi-autos like to be maintained and one has to remember about the round in the chamber. Clearing requires dropping the mag first, then charging the slide to eject the round in the pipe. Watch for it to come out and physically/visually check often if you set it down even for a second! Many people charge it first, then drop the mag. This loads the next round into the pipe from the mag. They then drop the mag thinking the gun is cleared. A few minutes later or the next time they pick it up, bang, they just had an accident. It is easily done if you are not careful. Also, with semi-autos, you must be ready for misfires and know how to clear the weapon asap.

This is not to say you couldn't start with a pistol versus a revolver. But I highly recommend the revolver first for the total newbies.

Safety classes are nice but not required. I recommend them either formally or from a trusted friend who knows what they are doing. It all depends on how many greenbacks and the amount of time you have.

Safety is paramount in any case.

Good luck and have fun.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

This is the post that has a lot of info that might help you.

This is a very basic outline for someone new to guns and considering getting a firearm in Pa. I thought it might be helpful based on a recent thread I read here and a conversation I had last night with someone thinking about getting a gun. I did a search and did not find a post dedicated to just this topic but my googlefu might be off. I figure anyone doing a search might come across this and hopefully it will give some helpful info. There are great sources on this site that have more info. (a couple which I listed below) While I do address some of the info in those sources, I am trying to focus on the difference between the process of buying a gun and getting a LTCF.

I am not an expert, lawyer or lawmaker, just a gun owner who was once new to the processes and topics below. This list is for beginners and not complete. It omits a lot of in depth things that you will learn about if you choose to get more involved with firearms.

General Info

1.* In Pa you can own guns for in home/property use or carry for protection.
    2.* Both the U.S Constitution and Pa Constitution have sections pertaining to peoples right to bear arms.
    3.* Gun laws vary from state to state. What works in Pa will not work in NJ.
    4.* In Pa you can own a gun as long as you are not a prohibited person.* Your criminal or mental background would determine if you are prohibited.
    5.* You do NOT need a LTCF just to own a gun in Pa. You do need a LTCF if you intend to conceal carry in Pa.

Process to obtain a gun

To buy a handgun or new long gun in Pa, you will:
    1.* You will buy it from a seller who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) or they will send it/sell it through a person with a FFL.
    2.* The FFL will charge you a fee above the price of your gun to transfer the gun to you. The price varies depending upon the person with the FFL.*Generally $30-50 from what I've seen.
    3. You will be required to fill out paperwork when purchasing the gun. The paperwork will ask various questions to determine if you are prohibited.
    4.* After you have finished the paperwork, the FFL will make a phone call to Pa Instant Check System (PICS) which is linked to the National Instant Criminal Background check System (NICS) run by the FBI.
    5.* The PICS check is the final word at that moment if you are a prohibited person or not.

If you are found to be a prohibited person, you will not be allowed to take the gun with you. You will then have to determine why you are prohibited.

If you are not a prohibited person you will be allowed to have the gun and take it home right then.* You are allowed to take the gun home in your car without a LTCF if you go straight home. It is important to note that passing a NICS check does not mean you now have a LTCF or even that you will be approved to have a LTCF. That is a different process

Carrying a gun

There are basically two types of carry, open (OC) or concealed (CC).

A. Open Carry: Carrying a gun in public where everyone can see it. There are laws that you need to know if you do this. See the links below.

B.* Concealed Carry: In Pa you may get a License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) This allows you to CC which means carry a handgun on your person while hidden. (the gun, not you) It can be hidden in an Inside the Waistband holster (IWB), ankle holster, shoulder holster, pocket carry and so on. You may OC if you have a LTCF. You may NOT CC if you do not have a LTCF. It also allows you to carry in a car and during a state of emergency.

The LTCF will allow you to CC or OC anywhere legal in Pa. Here is a resource that is well worth the time to read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania)

and another great resource:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.)

* To apply for a LTCF: (Note:this is suppose to be uniform across the state but there still seem to be variations, especially in Philadelphia. Hopefully someone who understands Philly better than I can do will add to this)

1.* You must be 21.
    2. * You go to your Sheriffs Office at your county courthouse and fill out an application. (or print one out and fill it in ahead of time). Take a photo ID with you.
    3.* You should only have to pay a $20 fee and they will process your application.
    4.* They ask you for 2 references. You can use anyone who is not a family member.
    5.* They will do a background check. They use (PICS) run by the Pa State Police.
    6.* They have up to 45 days to process the application.* Each county is different, some do it the same day, others take the entire time.
    7.* Pa is a "Shall Issue" state which basically means they need a good legal reason to not issue you a LTCF.
    8.* If you have been found to be an acceptable person to have a LTCF, you will receive a letter telling you that you have been approved. They will either send you your LTCF or you then take the letter to the Sheriffs office and they will issue your LTCF.
    9.* If they deny your application there is a process to find out why and challenge it.* Don't waste time, get to it once you get your denial letter. There can be reasons that simple challenge will overcome.

Couple of facts/things worth further research:

There are different laws that apply to handguns and Long guns. You should know the laws for whichever you have.

You can't just lend/give a gun to whomever you want. Look up info or ask questions before lending/giving a gun to someone.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remember, you might currently have the right to own guns, not knowing the Pa gun laws could easily lose you that right once you have a gun.

btw....... those links I posted earlier, here they are again in case you ignored them for some reason. My info is basically procedural info for someone wondering how to go about getting a gun. The links are really worth your time to read and may save your rights, the information is that valuable.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania)

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.)

If anyone sees any mistakes or inaccuracies in what I wrote, please let me know.
    Ask a criminal whether they are in favor of a ban that will disarm honest citizens. How will they respond? I think they will be very happy. Please do not make criminals happy by passing any bills that reduce the rights of honest citizens.

(Allegheny County)

I would add that transporting a firearm in a vehicle without an LTCF requires not only that it be unloaded and separated from the ammo, but also is only legal for a very limited set of trips. One of the allowed trips is driving directly home from the place of purchase, and in that case the firearm must be in a case or some kind of securely wrapped container. There are a few other allowed trips, including bringing it directly to and from a range, but keep in mind that if you get pulled over and the officer somehow discovers the firearm, you'll have to prove that one of these exceptions applies. But without an LTCF, you can't take it with you while driving to work or going grocery shopping or whatever.

As far as firearm selection goes, I'd recommend a .22 LR firearm (pistols and rifles are both available in this caliber) for anyone starting out. The ammo is cheap (550 rounds cost less than $20) and recoil is minimal so you can develop good technique and good habits, and practice a lot without spending a ton. It's not an ideal self-defense caliber, but that's not what you should be worried about at the beginning.

(Jefferson County)

Welcome! I also recommend that you get some range time and/or take a class.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Luzerne County)

Welcome aboard!

All excellent advice given already. Just to add my own to the pile:

I would get your LTCF first (if you're considering a handgun). It's a good idea to have it, plus if you do decide to carry it for protection, you'll already have the process completed.

I would suggest taking a beginner's course by a certified instructor (not a friend of a friend who has a couple guns) at a range and taking the time to rent a few guns there to decide what YOU like. Lots of people have all sorts of opinions on which is a good "first" firearm...but it should be what you like and feel most comfortable with.

And most importantly....MEMORIZE THE BASIC FIREARM RULES OF SAFETY!!!!!!

Again...welcome!
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and the only thing that stops a good guy with a gun is the government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast