Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Is my firing pin damaged? Taurus PT145

(Also posted over on taurusarmed.net)

Hi all..

Was at the range today knocking down steel plates like it was my job, with my PT145. At one point in the day, I started to get many light primer strikes, and then the gun ceased to function at all.

When cycling the slide, the trigger would not go into single action.. and pulling the trigger with double action again resulted in the firing pin barely moving.

The barrel, slide, etc. had just been cleaned before the trip to the range. I have had the pistol for a year now (purchased barely used), and have never taken apart the firing pin, etc.

I followed the directions found here, and when it came to taking the firing pin out, it didn't want to budge. I was under the impression that it would just slide right out. After a little persuasion, it did come out.. but there appears to be damage to it. I don't know what would cause it, or if it's SUPPOSED to look like this.. but my gut tells me that it's not right.

Also, in the "channel" that the firing pin rides on, there is a bit of metal down near the firing pin hole that has the same general shape as the markings on the firing pin. Any ideas? I have a bad feeling about this!!

Also of worry (and why I think the assembly didn't just slide out) is that there is a burr that extends past the outside diameter of the firing pin.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Is my firing pin damaged? Taurus PT145

yeah that doesnt look right. the metal looks slightly bulged any may be causing it to hang up, causing your light strikes. I would take it straight to a gunsmith and get his opinion in person. your gun may have a trip back to taurus in its future.

(Delaware County)

How many rounds through the gun?
    Is it new?
    From your post it seems that it was working fine, then slowed down and then quit working. It that is the case, it seems the part broke or died while you were using it. (as opposed to coming that way from the factory) I happen to have that model but it is the only Taurus that I own. I was told that it has an excellent warranty? I will be watching your posts. I am really puzzled what could have caused this to happen in working gun.
    Thanks,
    Smitty56

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    How many rounds through the gun?
    Is it new?
    From your post it seems that it was working fine, then slowed down and then quit working. It that is the case, it seems the part broke or died while you were using it. (as opposed to coming that way from the factory) I happen to have that model but it is the only Taurus that I own. I was told that it has an excellent warranty? I will be watching your posts. I am really puzzled what could have caused this to happen in working gun.
    Thanks,
    Smitty56
    Gun is not new.. I bought it used from the Valley Forge gun show about a year ago. I have put around 1000 rounds through it, I don't know how many were through it before I bought it.

It is indeed the case that it was functioning fine, then got worse, and finally ceased to function. I took some measurements of the firing pin assembly, and at the point where you see in the picture, it is about 0.01" proud, compared to the rest of the assembly. This protrusion is most likely what is causing the problem. However, I want to try and figure out how it happened in the first place.

I will let you all know what I find out.

Thanks!
    Chris

(Erie County)

i spent 3 out of my 8 yrs in the army specializeing in weapons. if i had a firing pin that was pitted, had a big burr or was dammaged in any way i would have to replace it right away for it would cause malfunctions in the weapon and ammo. it could alsi cause damage to the weapon. yours looks like it would have to be replaced.

(Montgomery County)

The damage to your firing pin looks like someone monkeyed with it while it was disassembled and the firing pin struck the partially disengaged drop safety. This will bugger up the firing pin, you need a new one.

Striker pistols should not be manipulated so that the firing pin strikes while they are disassembled. Most of them will do this and it is will negatively impact reliability.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The damage to your firing pin looks like someone monkeyed with it while it was disassembled and the firing pin struck the partially disengaged drop safety. This will bugger up the firing pin, you need a new one.

Striker pistols should not be manipulated so that the firing pin strikes while they are disassembled. Most of them will do this and it is will negatively impact reliability.
    are you referring to manually pushing the firing pin block then pushing the firing pin out to check protrusion?

and saying not to?
    Or about taking these parts out?
    Thanks in advanced.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Is my firing pin damaged? Taurus PT145 UPDATE

Okay, so I did a little investigating and work.

Before I did anything I took the gun to a local gunshop, the owner could only say to me, "that doesn't look right" and just suggested I file down the burr on the firing pin. Other than that, he didn't seem interested in trying to help.

I figured I am going to buy a new firing pin anyway, so I gave lightly filing down the burr a try. After some careful work, the firing pin now slides easily into the gun and the channel where it rides. So, one issue solved (so I think).

As for the small bit of metal down the firing pin channel, I believe it's a firing pin block. I think for whatever reason, the firing pin was slamming into the block, causing damage to the pin. At the underside of the slide is a small spring-loaded button that relates to this block (see first picture).

However, the gun will still not reset properly. When I rack the slide, it doesn't want to go into single-action mode. Every once in a while it will, but most of the time it's acting as if the trigger had been pulled once already.

I'm not sure if this relates, but there is a very small spring that seems to be rather weak (see 2nd pic).. I can't seem to find what part this is on the exploded diagram. Any thoughts on this?

I appologize for my lack of knowledge.. trying to learn.

Thanks,
    Chris

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    are you referring to manually pushing the firing pin block then pushing the firing pin out to check protrusion?

and saying not to?
    Or about taking these parts out?
    Thanks in advanced.
    Nope. I have seen people simulate firing the pistol (the striker assembly) while a pistol was taken apart. Making a loud click sound, speed is needed to do this damage.

OP,

You will need a new firing pin, firing pin block and while you are in there change the striker spring. This should fix your problem.

This type of damage is common when a disassembled firearm is monkeyed with. I know that this problem is very common in striker fired pistols. You should consider your Taurus on the disabled list and do not carry it or rely on it for you life until it has bee repaired.

Go to real gunsmith, the guy that told you to file it off does not know what he is talking about. I am not a gunsmith, and I can tell you that your pistol needs replacement of the parts.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I am no smith either but the trigger issue, based on my knowledge of striker fired pistols, which is not expert, means you are not getting the "half cocked" aspect of the striker...

maybe the catch is worn

thanx again steve for clarity...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast