Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Rifle

(Bucks County)

Default My First Rifle

alright my first post... anyway i'm just looking for some advice on a good first rifle. I'm looking for something to shoot medium range distances since i don't think there are any long distances ranges in my area (if you know of any please let me know). I have around $400-$500 even $600 if i really like it. When it comes to caliber i don't really know what to look for because i've only ever shot a .22lr rifle, but i have experience with 20 and 12 gauge shotguns, are rifle calibers comparable to these? thanks

Default Re: My First Rifle

Hello Steveo, welcome to the forum buddy. Most rifle calibers are not going to kick as hard as a 12 gauge shotgun, just so you know. Some of the magnum calibers will in fact kick as hard as a 12 gauge shotgun, but felt recoil also has to do with the weight of the gun, and other factors. Do you have very much experience shooting rifles? If you do not have much experience with rifles, most people (myself included) are going to encourage you to buy just a .22 lr. Buy a used .22 that you can get for a cheap price and get some time in behind the trigger. The .22 lr is good to shoot because it is cheap, which enables you to practice alot more. You usually don't have to fear about buying a used .22 because the barrels in them last forever. The .22 lr does not have any recoil, so you will not develop a flinch, which will affect your accuracy and consistency. After you've got the .22 lr down, you can sell it (or keep it), and spend the rest of the money that you had set back for a good used rifle, or pitch a little more in for a new one. Just realize that you will have to learn how to manipulate the trigger on rifles in order to shoot them well. Shooting rifles is quite different from shotguns because you do not "slap" the trigger, you squeeze it. Since you are starting out, I'd advise that most of your shooting been done at 100 yards or closer. I would probably start you out at 35-50 yard range and get you to try to group. As you started to group decently, then I'd move you out closer towards the 100 yard mark.

Once you have decided on a caliber, we can start giving you a bit of input on some of your options for a rifle that shoots that caliber. Most people are going to agree though, that the .22 lr is going to be the way to go.

(Westmoreland County)

"What rifle to get?" is really a loaded question...It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to shoot mid range target, something like a 22-250 might be fine. If you want to be able to hunt also, I suggest a .270 or a 30-06. If you really wanna reach out and touch someone...7mm or .300 would be a fine choice. As far as brands, Remington 700 series, Ruger Hawkeye or Savage are all excellent names in rifles. Hope this helps!

(Chester County)

Well, in my opinion (surprise, surprise), I think you should build an AR. It can be done for around $600 if you look around, and you WON'T be disappointed. They're good to about 500 yds.

OTOH, you can get a Century Arms WASR-10 (AK-47) for $350-$400 which is effective out to 300 yards.

Both fine choices.

Or, a .22 is good too, lots of fun.

Or, you can spring for a Remington 700 .308 that will get you out to 900 yds- 1000yds.

Mmmmmmmm,

Slim
    Last edited by Slim Pickens; September 14th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Bucks County)

my first rifle was a 30-30 lever gun - great gun and easy to shoot - it was also my dad's first rifle. (which i now use for hunting). i have a couple of really nice rifles for sale - look in the classified section of the forum............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Pickens View Post
    Well, in my opinion (surprise, surprise), I think you should build an AR. It can be done for around $600 if you look around, and you WON'T be disappointed. They're good to about 500 yds.

OTOH, you can get a Century Arms WASR-10 (AK-47) for $350-$400 which is effective out to 300 yards.

Both fine choices.

Or, you can spring for a Remington 700 .308 that will get you out to 900 yds- 1000yds.

Mmmmmmmm,

Slim
    with ALOT of practice and really, really good instruction, those distances might be possible - other than that, the average shooter won't shoot past 200 yards with any of those guns...............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by steveo 4354 View Post
    alright my first post... anyway i'm just looking for some advice on a good first rifle. I'm looking for something to shoot medium range distances since i don't think there are any long distances ranges in my area (if you know of any please let me know). I have around $400-$500 even $600 if i really like it. When it comes to caliber i don't really know what to look for because i've only ever shot a .22lr rifle, but i have experience with 20 and 12 gauge shotguns, are rifle calibers comparable to these? thanks

1)define medium range...are you saying 300-600 yards?

2) does the $400-500 budget include optics and mounts or is that just for the rifle itself?

Be more specific in you questions and you will get better results.

I would assume that being 19...funds may be limited, so I wouldn't go crazy on calibers that require handloading in order to maximize it's ballistics. I'd stick with .223 or .308.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Pickens View Post

Both fine choices.

Mmmmmmmm,

Slim
    300 yards for an ak is pushing it. I wouldnt trust it past 200. and even at 200, your groups are gonna be all over a target
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

More info please It'll help a lot, promise

Plan on hunting at all? What to hunt? How much for the whole package? If you plan on hunting is a pretty big one, as you can get a small caliber to shoot a long way, but it sure won't knock a deer down at 300yds and be humane with every shot.

Either way you go, I'd have to suggest a 22lr to start, save the rest. Remington 597 is a very nice model, and a Ruger 10/22 is good as well and the most popular 22 you can buy. Shooting a 22 helps a lot, and MUCH cheaper to shoot than anything else, even the decent ammo. I'd highly suggest one, keep it under 100 yds. Then, once proficient with that, buy yourself a deer/longer range rifle for hunting/long range shooting. For deer, I'd suggest a .308 or 30-06. Very common calibers, proven, will take down what you need at any PA range if you're capable of hitting it (practice with the 22 ) For a range gun, a 22-250 is very nice. Cheaper still, is a .223. Good practice with bullet drop and wind, the 223 is. The 22-250 shoots a bit flatter. Look online for some ballistic data, see what you like best for your given yardage.

As for rifle of choice, can't go wrong with a Remington 700. Savage also makes a good rifle, 10fp is a good choice, not as good stock as the 700, though. Maybe even the 12 series, but IIRC, they cost a bit more than the 10fp.

I wish you luck sir in your purchase
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

More info is requiered for a accurate recommendation.

What range is 'medium range'?
    What is the intended purpose of the rifle? Hunting? Punching paper? Competition?
    What action do you prefer?
    What caliber do you prefer?
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast