Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My favorite shop gave my rifle to the new buyer but he didnt pay yet.

Well sort of anyway. I am selling a nice Browning Eclipse A bolt rifle with mounted Leopold scope at a local shop for 1200. The perspective new owner has put a 500 dollar downpayment on it three months ago. I stopped in yersteday to ask if it sold yet and the owner said that "its not back yet. I was like "back....back from where? It turns out that the guy buying it wanted to have some work done such as a trigger job and the likes. They shipped it to an out of state gunsmith without first paying the balance of the gun or at the least telling me. This kind of pisses me off because now I am sure Ill have to wait until it is back until the guy wants to take it home and as we all know some of the gunsmiths move slowly. Should this of happened? It just seems to me that when he put a downpayment on it it should stay put until the balance is received.
    Last edited by bripro; September 20th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: My favorite gun gave my rifle to the new buyer but he didnt pay yet.

Doesnt sound right to me at all,,,,But I have no idea how these things work..
    But I wouldnt be happy about it at all.

If the guns not there, and you want it back, he better have your money is how I see it..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Default Re: My favorite gun gave my rifle to the new buyer but he didnt pay yet.

That's really bad form, and in fact it smells like "conversion", where someone uses your property and treats it as his own. Until it's paid for, nobody should be making permanent changes to it, or shooting it at the range, or swapping parts out. It's your gun, the deposit isn't the same as a purchase, yet. Consignment guns are on the books of the shop, but you retain the ownership interest until you're paid.

If the deal goes through, I'd let it slide. But I have to wonder where the buyer has the coin for the smith work, but not enough to actually pay you. Something sounds wrong there.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to get anything modified at all before the bill was paid in full...I'd be demanding the rest of the payment.

(Luzerne County)

Unacceptable.....

The customer should have paid for the rifle in full....your consignmnet payment issued, then the gun sent out for work.....

You are left hanging in limbo...not cool.

Since your rifle is gone and they no longer have it in their inventory....demand payment.
    Chris

570-655-GUNS (4867)
    NEW STORE HOURS!!!!
    Class III Dealer

(Allegheny County)

I think the whole situation reeks of bullshit. I'd be thoroughly pissed.

(Berks County)

Unacceptable.....as far as I am concerned the shop now owns the gun (and is owed the money from the prospective buyer), you are no longer involved and are due full payment immediately.

More importantly.....what is the name of the shop? I wouldn't do a cosign there ever.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lebanon County)

nope, no good.

so the dude gave a 500 dollar deposit on a 1200dollar gun, and the shop allows him to send it else where? not on my watch.

suppose the gun comes back, and the dude does not like the way it turned out and decides he doesn't want it at all.

what if his "gunsmith" is a hack?

if the shop trusts the other party enough to do that, then they can front you your money and they can wait till the other party annies up instead of making you hang.
    sounds like although this is your favorite shop, the other party is their favorite customer.
    i also think they are taking serious advantage of you.
    Last edited by brian; September 20th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by AdvancedArms View Post
    Unacceptable.....

The customer should have paid for the rifle in full....your consignmnet payment issued, then the gun sent out for work.....

You are left hanging in limbo...not cool.

Since your rifle is gone and they no longer have it in their inventory....demand payment.
    Very much uncool. What happens when it comes back and the guy changes his mind. Now he doesn't want it. The shop isn't going to give it back to you. Someone has to pay for the smithing work done to it.

Man I would be back at that shop raising wholly hell with them. I am sure you have some paperwork saying it was there for consignment purposes. In effect the gun is sold. demand your money or the guns return.

I have only ever put something on consignment once. the item did not sell. After a while I went back to the shop and retrieved my items.
    All and all it was a very smooth interaction.
    This was done at Advanced Arms.

Thanks again Chris.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Title should read: My favorite SHOP gave my rifle to the new buyer but he didny pay yet.

Well sort of anyway. I am selling a nice Browning Eclipse A bolt rifle with mounted Leopold scope at a local shop for 1200. The perspective new owner has put a 500 dollar downpayment on it three months ago. I stopped in yersteday to ask if it sold yet and the owner said that "its not back yet. I was like "back....back from where? It turns out that the guy buying it wanted to have some work done such as a trigger job and the likes. They shipped it to an out of state gunsmith without first paying the balance of the gun or at the least telling me. This kind of pisses me off because now I am sure Ill have to wait until it is back until the guy wants to take it home and as we all know some of the gunsmiths move slowly. Should this of happened? It just seems to me that when he put a downpayment on it it should stay put until the balance is received.
    That is B/S! If the dealer agreed to this with the customer than you should be paid in full.
    That decision is between the dealer and his customer. You should not be caught between this very stupid decision . Never mind the 3 months it has now taken. What an asshole your dealer is.You don't let a gun That is not completely yours go anywhere without payment in full.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast